Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

How bright should a rectifier tube get??

I was putting a tv on a variac and noticed the flyback wasn't kicking in. I looked inside the set and saw that the rectifier tube was brighter than any tube I have ever seen. Was this maybe okay and I have just never seen a tube that got this bright? I shut the tv down around 100vac but I am not certain.

This is a 1955 RCA victor tv.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 AM
M is for Memory

Bright heater unusual, but not necessarily bad. If the plate of the tube was glowing that is BAD very bad...Redplating occurs when a tube is passing far more plate current then it is designed to handle. This occurs in rectifiers when there is excessive load, and in triodes/tetrodes/pentodes when there is either too much load or more often when the grid bias is wrong. Redplating usually destroys tubes in seconds to minutes, and should not be allowed to occur for an extended period of time unless you enjoy paying for replacement tubes.

A redplating rectifier is probably a symptom of a B+ short, shorted lytic, or some stage HEAVILY loading the B+. If you have it you need to fix it first before anything else. A DMM/VTVM/VOM is your best friend if the source of the fault is not obvious.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-18-2018, 03:03 AM
Peanut Head

Some good advice there...

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes indeed , if this is the "LV rectifier" (5U4 usually) the filaments should be a dull cherry red , to possibly a light washed out orange , and no brighter . If the plates show any color at all other than black , like how the poor 5Y3 in my avatar has it's plates glowing orange , there is a short in the B+ line and just like Tom (E.M.) said the tube and or power transformer will be destroyed if such operation is allowed to continue much beyond a few seconds or so ...