Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

New Member in Boston

Hello everyone! I'm a newer member living just south of Boston, MA. I'm finally poking my head out after about a year or so lurking in the forums trying to familiarize myself with early color television. I'm happy - and grateful - that the wealth of information here has been very helpful in filling the gaps in my knowledge.

A couple of years ago, I developed an itch for some type of older color television. Two years and a lot of research later, I purchased my first vintage set: a 1968 Motorola Quasar TS-915 WID in a contemporary Drexel cabinet. It's the same one pictured on the first Quasar brochure. The chassis is dated 11/68, and it's bone stock, with a Video Display Corp. replacement tube. It looks nearly new. I have lots of questions about this set.

It's great to finally reach out to all of you. Thank you for inspiring me to join the hobby.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nice t'have ya ! Welcome !
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Welcome!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

welcome boston
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you everyone!
Audiokarma
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxv View Post
Hello everyone! I'm a newer member living just south of Boston, MA. I'm finally poking my head out after about a year or so lurking in the forums trying to familiarize myself with early color television. I'm happy - and grateful - that the wealth of information here has been very helpful in filling the gaps in my knowledge.

A couple of years ago, I developed an itch for some type of older color television. Two years and a lot of research later, I purchased my first vintage set: a 1968 Motorola Quasar TS-915 WID in a contemporary Drexel cabinet. It's the same one pictured on the first Quasar brochure. The chassis is dated 11/68, and it's bone stock, with a Video Display Corp. replacement tube. It looks nearly new. I have lots of questions about this set.

It's great to finally reach out to all of you. Thank you for inspiring me to join the hobby.
Hey thanks for letting that mint magnavox combo on boston st slip through your hands.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Motorola Minion

Happy to have you.

Motorolas are a good sets to begin with....and respond to tinkering very well.

Is it correct that the TS915 had only 4-5 tubes, thus being the first Hybrid color set?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Well Hi there......and welcome.....

They will have a vaccine soon for the old tv thing causing that itch, but from what i hear it still has a few bad side effects like strange daily attractions to tractor pulls, sleeplessness, dizziness, getting lost on the way to familiar places, runny nose, coughing, drowsiness, darkening of the stool, tripping over objects around the house, and of course death. Like many drugs advertised on tv, this one makes it sound like the cure is worse than the affliction..... maybe you should just live with it.....
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Happy to have you.

Motorolas are a good sets to begin with....and respond to tinkering very well.

Is it correct that the TS915 had only 4-5 tubes, thus being the first Hybrid color set?
I don't think so. The set uses a 3B2N rectifier tube, and it lives at the bottom rear of the drawer. There are no other tubes in the chassis.