Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Looking For Time

No gratification tonight it is. I'll bring a variac home tomorrow, and look to purchase one soon. I had thought about using shrink tubing on the leads on the caps, thanks for the tip wa2ise. I hear you on the no space VintagePC, I live in a sub 900sq foot one room loft with my wife. She has been really suportive of my new obsession, there is no hiding anything when you have no walls.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think it's a big priority to rush out and spend a bunch on a variac for your first restoration project. If your main concern is not frying your TV, a cheap dim bulb tester actually provides more protection. If your TV has a dead short, the bulb simply lights up, and no harm is done. With an un-metered variac, you can still burn up a power transformer while gradually increasing the voltage, a fact that I learned to my dismay some years ago. A metered variac lets you monitor current use while you increase voltage, of course.

Phil Nelson
Old 05-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
No gratification tonight it is. I'll bring a variac home tomorrow, and look to purchase one soon. I had thought about using shrink tubing on the leads on the caps, thanks for the tip wa2ise. I hear you on the no space VintagePC, I live in a sub 900sq foot one room loft with my wife. She has been really suportive of my new obsession, there is no hiding anything when you have no walls.
Why not make a wall of vintage TVs? Two birds with one stone
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Looking For Time

I didn't know there was such a thing as an un-metered variac. Then again what I don't know could fill a ocean .
Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Looking For Time

Update.
Brought home a variac and fired her up... No vertical deflection. I've now replaced all of the paper, multi stage cans, and electrolytics in the chassis (as far as I know). Time to move on to other trouble shooting. Any suggestions on where to start/where not to start?
Audiokarma
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

The easiest place to start is with the vertical deflection coils (the ones on the neck of the CRT) - check them for continuity with a multimeter. If they're good, then I'd start looking for open or shorted resistors. A complete lack of deflection means a total failure somewhere...

Someone with a service manual might be able to point you in a more specific direction, but this is usually a good start for anything of this age. The carbon resistors tend to go high when exposed to a lot of moisture and cause all sorts of problems.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

After you check the deflection coil, check R3, the vertical linearity control and R4 the vertical size control.

I assume you've already checked V13 the 6C4 and V14 the 6V6.

The way they've drawn the alternate circuits is confusing to me and I'm not sure where this section is getting it's B+.

I might have to pull my chassis and see what they really did.

John
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Looking For Time

"The easiest place to start is with the vertical deflection coils (the ones on the neck of the CRT) - check them for continuity with a multimeter."

Forgive my new guy ignorance but I don't know how to do that. I know how to check continuity with a meter but I'm not sure where you're suggesting I check. Could you elaborate on that some more for me?

"After you check the deflection coil, check R3, the vertical linearity control and R4 the vertical size control.

I assume you've already checked V13 the 6C4 and V14 the 6V6."

I've tested V13 and V14, they both check good. I've also adjusted R3 and R4 to no avail.

"I might have to pull my chassis and see what they really did."

Wow! You guys are so helpful here it's hard to believe. Please don't go that overboard for me yet. Let me do some due diligence of my own before we get to that point.