Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Looking For Time

Mighty Monarch of The Air

I wanted to start a thread to show my Majestic 1600 restoration. I am a little late on posting progress but I'll get you up to speed. I found the unit in an antique store and fell for it pretty hard. It had a price tag on it for $125. I worked the owner down to $75 and tax and took it home that night. I thought it would just make a nice decoration in the apartment but then something started eating away at me to find out the history of the unit. Some Google searches later I found my way to this site and made the decision that I would restore it. The first thing I did was clean the insides as much as I could. It wasn't extremely dirty but it did have a fine layer of black dirt on it. It cleaned up very nicely with some elbow grease and electronics cleaner.

After cleaning the interior I replaced the missing tube you can see on the right hand side. I work with some one who is a wealth of electronic parts and he gave me one for free. With all the tubes in place it was time to fire it up and see what we've got. I brought the voltage up slowly with a variac and got raster :-). Unfortunately there was no vertical deflection, just a solid horizontal white line in the middle of the screen.
My next step was to pull the chassis from the cabinet and put it on a tabletop to get ready for recapping. I got a copy of the photofact and ordered my capacitors from www.wjoe.com, 17 of the them to be exact. Today I think I'll begin the recapping process.

Last edited by vts1134; 05-01-2011 at 05:02 PM.