Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who here has old hospital TV's?

The oldest hospital TV's that I recall seeing in the '80's were some mid '70's 19" Sylvania solid state color sets with a motorized tuner, a cover plug over the UHF tuner, a wired pillow speaker remote, and the sets were programmed to turn off when the VHF tuner was in the UHF position. Sometime around '88, these sets were replaced by 20" Magnavox sets with cable ready tuners and OSD. These sets were in the hospital that we used and I think some of those Magnavox sets are still in service; but, they are being replaced with flat screens, when they fail. The old Sylvania sets were sold off.

In the '90's, I saw a few of those Sylvania sets, after the hospital sold them off. They used a delta gun tube, a 3-board modular chassis with a power transformer, and they were very heavy (I think the chassis number was E08).

Some other hospital sets that I recall seeing were some Sylvania E32 chassis sets with a red LED channel display and cable ready tuning (single board chassis, inline tube) and some Sylvania E51 chassis sets (3 board hot chassis, IHVT style flyback, inline gun tri-focus tube, and a single-knob motorized varactor tuner).

I've also seen some solid state RCA's that ranged in age from the upright XL100 modular chassis, through to the CTC176-era Thomson chassis. I used to have a 19" RCA hybrid hospital set from the early '70's and I should have hung on to it.

I've seen the older Zenith hospital sets with the red LED channel display and the rocker-style channel/power switch. I think these came in 9-160 board, 9-186 board, and 9-470 board varieties (depending on age). Then, there were the '90's "New Horizons" models that had CRT issues and the "HealthView" models. A while back, I saw a 20" Zenith HealthView from 2008, and it had a flat CRT and DTV tuner. They wanted $50 for it and I decided to pass.

One of the flea market vendors also is an administrator at one of the hospitals and I asked him about them possibly letting me have any of the old CRT sets that they take out of service and I got shot down. He told me that nothing is given away or sold and that any electronics are destroyed when they are taken out of service. He said the reason was because if they let someone have something and they get hurt with it, they could come back and sue the hospital. I told him that I wouldn't do that and would even sign a release; but, he told me the powers that be would never allow it.

I keep hoping that one of those mid '70's Sylvania hospital sets will turn up locally; but, so far, no luck.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had my tonsils out around '82 or so and the hospital had small Sony's (5" or so?) on swing-arms. I hate to say it, but I honestly couldn't tell you whether they were b/w or color. After the first night (before the surgery at 6am) I didn't much care about the TV