Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2021, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

An Observation

Last September when my 48" flat screen died, I got a 65" Samsung. It was selected because it was the only 65" TV that Costco had that I knew would fit on my stand. I immediately plugged it into my JBL sound bar without trying it on it's own.

I loved it so much that I bought another 65 incher in November for the basement so I'd have something to watch while my wife watches her soaps. It is a Vizio. It was much less expensive than the Samsung. I planned to connect it to my stereo in the basement, but found that it sounded fine on it's own. It even seems to have some sort of fake surround sound.

Since the Vizio sounded so, shall we say "adequate" on its own, I thought I'd try the Samsung without the sound bar. I was not impressed. It had that "through a toilet paper tube" sound. I plugged the sound bar back in. Mind you, The Samsung cost half again what the Vizio did.

I know that the sound is probably NOT a priority for any TV manufacturer, but I found it interesting that the less expensive TV sounded better with no sound augmentation. Perhaps some manufacturers may assume that we will be using another means for the sound. I have no questions or any agenda other than to report what I observed, but I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say about this.

I am NOT an honest man. I only tell the truth because it is too much work to keep track of lies.

Last edited by Jack Keck; 03-19-2021 at 03:39 PM.