Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:42 AM
<----Zenith C845

My Zenith radio collection

Here's my Zenith collection to date, 1951 to 1980 vintage. They don't make them like this anymore! These sets are keepers as far as I'm concerned. The reflections in some pics are due to my camera flash.

The radio to the left of the H511 is a replica of a 1934 cathedral set and is not made by Zenith.

Left to right:

C-845 (1960)
H-480W (1980)
R-70 portable (1980)
Royal 1000-1 T/O (1958-'62, not sure of exact date of manufacture)
H-511Y (1951)
K-731 (1963)

Helping to keep the spirit of the former Zenith Radio Corporation alive in northeastern Ohio,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (43.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (33.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (24.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0182.jpg (25.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (30.2 KB, 33 views)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-03-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Shaken, not stirred

I got into this hobby as a relaxing change of pace, and it was a great decision. I'm spending more time at home with my wife and kids, spending LESS money (radios are far more affordable than either motorcycles or camera equipment...at least, the radios I buy) and am enjoying the new friendships with other antique/special interest radio collectors. This is a solid, fun and very educational hobby!

Not sure what got you into Zenith Jeff, but for me the overwhelming reason is that so many of them worked right out of the box...even units looking like they'd been through a war. And although Zenith was a (very successful) mass producer, they managed to stuff a lot of quality engineering into each set. There are many radio brands to choose from, some with more appealing (or engaging) styling (IMHO) but Zenith produced a long line of radios that performed for those who simply enjoy listening to, or being part of, a quality radio experience. In terms of tone, reception, durability and lasting satisfaction, vintage Zeniths have attracted a thriving fan base. Include me in that number.

Thanks for the photos Jeff! Say, am I seeing things, or did you actually put a dial lamp into your K731? I remember you posting on the subject, and I agree. If there is one area where Zenith really dropped the ball, it was not installing illuminated dials into their popular line (K731/C-G 730, etc) of wood table radios. One set I don't have is a Royal T-O multiband...but I'd sure like to change that.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Some of the wooden tube type AM/FM Zeniths from the 60's do have a dial lamp. The type with the vertical dial scales usually does. it runs off a dropping resistor from the AC line and is a 24 or 28 volt bulb.