Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
John T

My First Post

Hello to everyone, I think this is my first post, I tried Sunday but maybe I wasnt registered yet? I'm a newbie to the board but have gathered up a few old radios over the years consisitng of:

Zenith 10s566 Console (bought at an Indy Auto Swap Meet at Speedway)

Crosley Super 11 Console (bought from an old time radio dealer when in College at Vincennes university)

Grunow All Wave Console my grandparents owned and listened to WW II News when my father n uncles were overseas, I havent discovered the Model yet, just know its a big old console which has great sentimental value

Grigsby Grunow Majestic TRF (oldest but worst performer)

Hammarlund HQ 110 Receiver
Halicrafters SX 110
Knight Kit Star Roamer I built in High School

Since I live in Indiana I plan to have John and Jeans Radio do my restorations one at a time starting with the grandparents Grunow. The Crosley and Zenith play well but still need restored.

Look forward to fun chat and fellowship

John T Nordhoff in Indiana
Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM
AK Member

Welcome to AK.

Stay long enough and like the rest of us, your "little" collection you came here with, will soon grow to needing to buy a new home. ;]
Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
AK Member

Welcome John. I collect and "attempt" to restore old radios as well as being knee deep in vintage stereo stuff. You will find this site informative and enjoyable.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
AK Member

Welcome to AK, John T! I'm kind of new here myself. This is a great forum, lots of generous and helpful folks. Don't be shy about asking questions! Just mind what decius says: radio collections have a way of growing quite rapidly!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:10 PM
AK Member

Welcome John.

I thought about collecting old radios at various times of my life but found vintage 70s hi-fi equipment more useful. I did own a Halicrafters SX 110 that I received as a Christmas present around 1963 or so. I picked that model because it looked so nice, but was never very happy with it's performance. I;ve researched the Collins R-390/A for many years but have so far resisted the urge to pull the trigger on one, they are so large

Anyway welcome aboard and hope you can educate some of us on old radio collecting.

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft
Audiokarma
Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Old stuff rocks....old trucks, old cameras...old plumbing (oh wait, that just sucks) but especially old radios! A deeply enjoyable, rather inexpensive hobby that is both challanging and fun...usually. See, I've got three of my favorites down right now and no time to work on them. I'm about to throw them all in a box and send 'em to Chad.

Anyway, welcome John. There's great folks here, as I'm sure you'll discover yourself.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 AM
tube gear fanatic

hi john ,

welcome to ak and it looks like youll fit in well here.nice boatanchors you have there too .i've owned both of them and iff my memeory is working right(which it seldom does )i still have the sx110 kicking around somehwhere)the hq110 is a very nice and stable hamband only receiver .the only other receiver i had that was a stable as the hq1110 at the time that i owned it was a drake 2b.mine had the optional clock with it which was a option at the time does yours?.

Quote:
I;ve researched the Collins R-390/A for many years but have so far resisted the urge to pull the trigger on one, they are so large
what are you waitng for then lefty ?pull the trigger and get one. i've also been researching them for years and it has always been my dream receiver ever since i first started into s/w listening years ago .i have come close a few times of aqquiring one but the deals always seemed to fall through .i will though one day get one as its been a long term goal of mine.
Quote:
I thought about collecting old radios at various times of my life but found vintage 70s hi-fi equipment more useful
i'm just the opposite lefty . it was the tube s/w gear(boatanchors) that got me interested in the the tube audio gear but once i started in on that the shortwave radio collecting took the back seat.

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, yeah, I would advise ANYONE even remotely thinking about becoming the daddy of an R-390A to quit thinkin' about it, & DO it; Good ones seem to be getting harder & harder-and more expensive- to find. Send it to Terry, I think he's as good an R-390A fixer as anyone, & start enjoying a radio that yr grandkids will still be listening to, a piece of Americana that was/is regarded as "The best there is".
Old 03-31-2006, 03:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Welcome to AK. I've been a member here over three years and really enjoy the group; I hope you will as well.

I had a Hallicrafters SX-101A Mark III receiver in my first ham radio station (1972, when I was first licensed). It was good to start with, but it was very large, weighed at least 50 pounds (talk about a boat anchor!) and had perhaps 15 tubes, with an 0A2 voltage regulator. No matter. It worked great the two years I used it under my original license, and again from 1982 until '85 or so. Had two other rigs after that, then I won my present radio at a hamfest in 1991 (Icom IC-725). I don't think it is anywhere near as sensitive as my SX-101 was, though. Like so many other things these days, they don't make them like that (the SX101) anymore.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-31-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:49 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Welcome aboard!

There are several of us pretty seriously into ba's. It's a good group!

Clay
Old 04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Gizmo Nut

Man, I sit here and listen to my old westinghouse and my old halicrafters. Love um.
Dan
Old 04-08-2006, 12:47 AM

Welcome!

John
Old 04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Boatanchors ?!? Why would anybody in their right mind want one-or more- of them old ugly-ass things? They break down, they put out heat, they frequently smell, they're hard to move...Oughta be hauled down to the kerb for the garbage man to deal with...<Sniff>....-Sandy G.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
tube gear fanatic

Quote:
Oughta be hauled down to the kerb for the garbage man to deal with...<Sniff>....-Sandy G.
go ahead sandy put yours by the garbage and tell me when.i'll be down to pick them up

real radios glow in the dark...