Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony 5-305UW No Sound.

Picked up this neat little set from Electronic M today. Got it home and recapped it.

This is what I get out of it now. Pretty bright, and very shap. Even more so then the 5-303W set. I think Sony took some notes and made these a lot better internally.

I had to substitute several values for higher values, but I don't see it being an issue.

The problem I am left with, is the set won't make a peep of sound. Nothing, not even a pop when I turn the set on and off. If I place my ear to the speaker I can hear a very light hum, but no scratching, no popping when I turn the set on and off, nothing. It won't produce a hint of sound.

I'm at a loss. It just refuses to produce audio. Nothing comes out of the head phone ports, as well.

Edit: Sound comes and goes. I've been letting it run for awhile and it cuts in and out randomly

Last edited by Arcanine; 02-07-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:24 PM
M is for Memory

Damn. You really work fast!

I'd look for cold solder joints, and tin whiskers in the pots. If you have the schematic and an audio oscillator (the hum of body capacitance from touching the circuit also works), then inject signal at the output transistor's input and work your way back towards the detector until the sound stops. The bug will be between the last point you had sound and where you lost it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it has a headphone jack check the contacts in the jack, they may be the problem. I have seen that same issue in transistor radios.

Gregb