Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Thumbs up I got my Singer TV6U going...mostly :-)

I spent part of this evening pulling the sweeps board from the bottom of the Singer TV6U that seemed to be the most promising (I have two...one with a completely dead tuner/IF something or other)

I replaced all the 50uf caps with 47uf/50v electrolytics, and went from a VERY narrow folded over vertical...to this

I got to the point I can get a full raster...GREAT tuning (even the UHF module underneath). Already has great brightness and contrast. I had to replace a 10uf cap to get the horizontal hold "range" to adjust properly. I was able to get a steady lock before replacing the little 10uf, but the H.range had to be cranked ALL the way to one side before.

Now....All I hafta do is figure out why I have this small linearity issue. I can get decent linearity....or full vertical, but can't seem to get both yet. A full raster results in it spreading out towards the top (as seen in the test pattern). This is of course hardly noticeable with a moving picture...and is PLENTY watchable, but I saw someone post a TV6U restore that got PERFECT geometry....so I know it's doable. (I gotta find that thread again).

As you can see in my sig....I'm actually very proud to get one of these going finally. Any specifics will be GREATLY appreciated if you have worked on these before. I do have the SAMS (Set 806 Folder 4)...and it was quite helpful in locating what values of caps I had to work with. I was not able to find 50uf caps easily...so for now I am using 47uf ones....because they seemed closer than 68uf. I only so far got to the bigger cans...because almost ALL of them showed open.

Please excuse that the pics are a bit strange. My flat isn't very well lit at night...and the JVC Everio camcorder seemed to like the contrast and brightness REAL low on the Singer to get any sort of pic of the CRT (for the most part unwatchable....but able to take a pic of it). Notice the "egg shaped" test pattern showing I still have a linearity issue to figure out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_2133.jpg (58.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2134.jpg (66.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2135.jpg (56.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2136.jpg (71.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Rock on!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Looks pretty blame good to me...Think you done GOOD, Me Olde Sonne...(grin)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 AM
"micro" and quirky

Hmmmm....Turned it on this morning briefly before going to work, and she still has a very narrow raster when cold. I'd say 3/4 of the screen. That WAS a REAL narrow raster before I had a full raster (like a 1" high picture), that would take 15 minutes to become a 2" raster.

Now...without really looking at it and measuring....it looks to start out about 3" high, and gets to fullscreen after the same 15 minutes...and does it very slowly. Otherwise, still a stable picture with no sync problems or anything, just height.

Remember this ISN'T a tube set..but it sure is acting like one. My Sony 301 does sorta the same thing, but with linearity that improves after like ten minutes.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 AM
On Land

I wonder why Singer decided to market a tv set. Was this their only model? Who made them for Singer? The Japanese?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
"micro" and quirky

It's the only model "I" have seen...but there was a post somewhere here of a Panasonic built Singer tabletop. This one here is actually a Mitsubishi set....so I'm with you and a bit confused with what Singer TV sets really are. Mitsubishi actually sold the version of this set without the UHF module....and mysteriously Singer sells THAT set as well as simply "TV6".

If you are ever contemplating buying a TV6 to fix a TV6U...DON'T. They LOOK the same, but are completely different chassis. I noticed this on some good pictures of a TV6 before thinking I was going to buy it. It MAY share the same tuner/IF board maybe, but for sure the bottom of the set is completely different as far as the sweeps board.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM
On Land

I had one of these sets years ago... found it locally. I don't recall what was wrong with it, but I had no desire in trying to fix it. Just way too small for me to want to play with.

I think I ended up selling it on ebay. Ya never know... now it might be in the hands of someone here on VK.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
"micro" and quirky

I got all three of mine on eBay over the last two years. ALL of them described as not working. I've NEVER seen one working but one somewhere here on VK that was restored (I think "Nelson" or somesuch). One was pretty rough and since it was described as "sound works"....I robbed it of a tuner/if board. The only one of three to show SOME life in the tuner. This one I cobbled together is the best parts of all three, but still required some extensive recapping to be watchable.

I'm obviously not done with it yet...but it does display pretty good, and the cabinet does display REAL nice. I even have a whole lot of it's accessories between all the three sets. I really want to find it's funky standalone UHF antenna so it is much more complete.

I will go to the local specialty "batteries and light bulbs" store and see if I can actually even FIND one of those big long 12V rechargeable lantern batteries that came inside the specialized leather power pack. The onboard charger appears to be doing all the right stuff, but the pristine looking original battery doesn't appear to be even remotely holding anything.

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Singer has been in some unusual businesses for a company that most of us think of as synonymous with sewing machines, no more, and no less. They also made one or more models of "service monitor", a specialized RF instrument for testing and aligning two-way radio equipment.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Collector of heavy things

Yeah, Singer tried to diversify (ye olde corporate buzzword) back in the '60s, buying up companies like KLH. Once spotted a collection of test equipment (and other things ) which had belonged to the former head of KLH's Research & Development department, and it all had tags on it reading to the effect of "KLH R&D: A Division of Singer".
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was in elementary school we had Singer film and filmstrip projectors. I still have a Singer personal filmstrip viewer and cassette player just like we used to have in the school library. Also remember seeing their logo on heat pumps (air conditioner/heating combo units).

They had offices here in Rochester, NY, don't know if that is still the case.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Singer Business Diversity

Singer also made Sears power tools (drills, saws, etc.) IIRC, but I do not know for what years this was true. Perhaps they still do in the outsourced Chinese factories?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Singer also purchased Graflex (cameras) and made the famous press cameras, as well as Graflex 16mm projectors.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lookin' good!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have a 9" "Singer" branded Tooob set. It was likely made by Panasonic, though. Looks to be a "Double 1st Cousin" to their "Value-Line" sets of the 1969-71 era.