Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Re: shivering meters.....

I powered up my 467 last night to check a 5" TV test CRT. Dancing needles - all three meters. They seem to pulse at a fixed interval. I'll open it up this week - too much spring cleaning going on to do any tron stuff right now.
I think this is normal behavior.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:53 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
When I first test some color CRTs with a Heathkit IT-5320, the needles on all three meters waver back and forth at 1-2 sec intervals as it warms up, especially a sleepy tube. After a few minutes they stop.
I remember when I got my very first CRT tester. It was a Heathkit IT-5230, and I hated it. Never could get an accurate reading on the thing. Then I got a B&K 470, and it was like going from a Chevy Corsica to a Buick Electra.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I remember when I got my very first CRT tester. It was a Heathkit IT-5230, and I hated it. Never could get an accurate reading on the thing. Then I got a B&K 470, and it was like going from a Chevy Corsica to a Buick Electra.
Heathkit equipment is only as good as the builder of it. Mine has never wrecked a tube unless I went for broke on a tube that I was going to replace or trash anyway. That is how I judge a CRT tester, and I would like to get a Sencore CR-70 just to see what I'm missing but for what I have needed to date, the 5320 and my old-fashioned BK 445 are all I need.

The Heathkit has a Beltron-style clean and rejuvenate circuit that can bring new life to a tired 21" round CRT as good as any other. This tester has served me well for almost 40 years after I built it, requiring only current-limit lamps to be replaced. It has no PC boards, which I consider an Achilles heel of any portable equipment and mine sure is banged up. It came with only two BW and two color adapters, so I made more socket adapters as I needed them. That is not pretty either