Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Embracing VHS Hi-Fi as an audio medium only

Having read and re-read all the info I could gather on the subject, I've decided that hi-fi VHS sounds better to me than cassette. I know this type of thread should be at Audiokarma, but 1) It has already been discussed at length there and 2) the magnetic tape forum here could use a thread on this IMO.....And I'd wager a fair amount that people here have tried this before.

So, I am using two Sony decks both 4-head, one with an input control and one without--and have had nothing but great luck so far. Granted, my cassette gear is very lo-fi compared to what's available but I just played back a tape I made from vinyl, Night Ranger-Seven Wishes, and it is indistinguishable from the original on the same system (to my ears)...

I use SP although in theory EP can be used suitably (right? I mean, the frequency modulation is the same and the helical format SHOULD permit the signal to be demodded exactly the same....) always on fresh tape too....Just in case, so as to avoid drop-outs. I ran a crude test on the machine without the input pot with a signal generator...Seems like it's only ~1dB down at 25kHz...although I do not believe this is the case. In any situation, my cassette deck can NEVER match that, or the dynamics or the wow&flutter even with a CrO2 tape...

Stories? Suggestions? (I know, GET A R2R!!!)