Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Airline Cathedral

I was digging around in the basement and found this old Airline cathedral radio that was in with a bunch of other radios that I bought, several years ago, from an ex-radio repairman's widow. Besides the cabinet finish being worn, it does not look too bad except for a small broken piece on the speaker grille. The chassis is another story. The speaker is missing and the chassis looks like it was hacked on in the not too distant past. This is a TRF set with a SE 45 audio output stage; so, I'd guess this one to be in the '29-'31 time period. Wasn't this radio also sold under the Crosley and Gloritone brands?

Even with all it's problems, it's still nice to have a "non Philco" cathedral. I don't have anything against Philco Cathedrals; but, it seems like the majority of cathedral sets that I find are Philco.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is the ad for your radio from the 1931 Spring and Summer Ward's catalog.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airline.jpg (102.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for posting that ad!

You're not going to believe this; but, I may have located the speaker. In that same bunch of radios, there was a very beat up '37 Philco cathedral. I can tell that it's speaker is not original and it looks old enough to be from the same time period as this Airline. If I could see a picture of the speaker in someone else's set, I'd know for sure. I know for sure that the gentleman who had these before I got them was bad about pulling parts out of a radio and makeing them work in another set. Maybe he couldn't get the Airline to work and he yanked it's speaker to stick in the Philco.