Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:26 AM
VK Member

John Vassos RCA 6K10 Radio

Heres a rare one that I just have to share with you guys, I honestly didn't think that it was worth what it is. After I found out what it was I stood in line for 4 hours to get it. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it or touching up the chips in the black lacquer but it is quite amazing to think that less then 100 of his designs are still floating around.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a vaaaaluable radio. You might want to rethink touching it up. Some big timer collector might want it just the way it is for big time money.

BTW wonder why RCA left the bottom open. There's not much wood between the back and the front of the speaker that way, so low notes can cancel. Would give more bass if there was a bottom panel.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Those big ol' consoles always just kill me...DREADNOUGHT styling, bazillions of Tooobs, you're expecting something that could pick up Jupiter on a cloudy day, & then...another rinky-dink AA5...Well, most of the time. E.H.Scotts & some Zeniths are for real...Anyhow, yeah, I'd just clean this bad boi up,get 'er workin' again, & maybe separate some well-heeled "Civilian" from a BUNCH of his money...
Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great score!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
BTW wonder why RCA left the bottom open. There's not much wood between the back and the front of the speaker that way, so low notes can cancel. Would give more bass if there was a bottom panel.
not sure but maybe there WAS a bottom panel of some sort?just guessing here of course but if you look at the pic you can see a cleat in the middle of the side panel that would seem to serve no real purpose...except maybe as an attachment point for some kind of panel.
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
a- v- karma member

That chassis does look a bit more elaborate than an AA5: there is apparently
a 6H6 dual diode working as a separate detector/AVC tube, and of course it
does have a transformer power supply. Great score, congratulations!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

That uses the same chassis as my first tube radio-an RCA 8k. The only difference is that yours does not have an eye tube. Good sounding radios-I really like that RCA put nice big speakers even in their cheaper models, not that this is a bad performer. I did a lot of DXing with my 8k, and that is still the only radio I have ever been able to receive Australia on (Shortwave). Looks like they slobbed chrome polish all over the cabinet. I'd say buff up the chrome, and retouch, but not refinish the cabinet.

On ARF you said you got this out of the prop room of a theater, correct? What's the story there?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
I'd say buff up the chrome, and retouch, but not refinish the cabinet.

On ARF you said you got this out of the prop room of a theater, correct? What's the story there?
Those are my plans when ever I get around to cleaning my garage so I can work on projects. I am going to touch it up with a sharpie of all things. It hides the scratches/nicks and its not noticeable at all. I will completely disassemble the whole radio in order to clean all the polish cream and gunk off. The chorme isn't that bad not really badly pitted or rusted.

I wish I knew the story. All the people doing the sale could tell me is that the place was floor to ceiling full of trash and the son inherited it all. The cord is cut and the tranny appears to be oily. I am thinking the repair guy at the theater stated he could fix it for a friend but it just sat there for years. I was also thinking it was loaned to them and next thing you know I will get some strange latter stating that it was never returned
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
VK Member

Well decided to finally tare it apart and give it a good cleaning and polish. Just to be disappointed to see that the chassis caught fire at some point in its life. Its not a horrible thing but its a bad thing. Seeing that I need to be on the look out for a new chassis or replacement transformer. I could get a after market but would like to have the original one on it. Heres photos of the chassis.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Looks like a tar leak/fire?

Am I the only one who doesn't find the cabinet particularly attractive? To me there's just something ... off ... about the whole look. It just doesn't seem to "click".

Anyway, nice find, goes to show what some people have and don't even know about!
Audiokarma
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePC View Post
Looks like a tar leak/fire?

Am I the only one who doesn't find the cabinet particularly attractive? To me there's just something ... off ... about the whole look. It just doesn't seem to "click".

Anyway, nice find, goes to show what some people have and don't even know about!
People over on arf are thinking that it got struck by lightning or that it was left unattended for some time and it just went poof. I suppose this mess is why there are more of these around now.

Your not the only one who thinks its looks aren't all that, I thought the same. That is why I asked before I bought, now its growing on me
Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

The looks are very mid-thirties chrome moderne, when a lot of furniture, tables, chairs, and so on, was coming out in black with chrome components. Somebody looking to be ultramodern in those days would have bought this set. Think: the Chrysler Airflow.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Now it'd be bought by someone wanting to look "Ultra-goth"

That's what it is- It was itching at the back of my mind that it was kind of like a somewhat 'current' style, but didn't know what... now I'm sure it's that... a goth radio. Only thing is that the tubes are the wrong types... they give off too much light and colour.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

One could always dip the whole thing in tar and cover it with a tarp...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

or replace the tubes with a couple of these:
http://media.jamendo.net/so6etcho7/f...emobulblrg.jpg
Audiokarma