Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Sounds like Quad-Man knows a bit about these cars..... And carbs....
Also, if this car has the EGR under the carb like my '73 did, you should be sure
this little trinket is in good shape, not corroded, and that the EGR is actually
working..... If'n yer really into doing exhaust work, cut out the "Y" and go to
a muffler shop, get a "H" made, include the Cats - you have to, they make hi-flo
competition cats you may choose to invest in.... Then get a dual exhaust made, with
separate mufflers.....

Quad is also right as you most likely only adjusted idle mixture... Run mixture is
set by removable gas jets at the bottom of the fuel bowel, and the vacuum bypass
valve for when you floor-it!..... He is also right about the vacuum gauge - think of
it as a VOM for carburetor equipped cars..... Be sure the vacuum advance is working too....

Anyway your biggest roadblock to better gas mileage that it weighs 6600 lbs with you
and some crap in the trunk in it..... And the spare..... And oh-yah the de-tuned 460
and 3 speed auto..... and the 2.5 rear end..... Didn't think they made anything with
numbers like that in a 6600 lb 4 seater back then....

You win the car crash battle at low speed entanglements with in-a-hurry parking lot
idiots and the texter behind you while creeping along at 20 mph in traffic, and by the way
your bumper should be on mini shocks, not really attached to the frame....
Kind of a friction slide....

But at 50 mph and above most likely newer cars will be safer..... but then again....
all that stuff has to be working, most recalls now-a-days are for the way too
complicated SRS systems, ABS, any of which can go off in flight and cause a good wreck.

You may just come out ahead if you just run it as is and save yer money for your
next slightly smaller, safer, newer, more efficient car.....

Went back a little in this thread, saw your tailpipe and tank strap thing,
It's funny because with my old cars I always go through them now before
winter comes as I HATE doing car stuff in the cold.... Now I got spares,
and if a car needs something It sits till spring.... Done lots of middle
of the winter radiator changes, muffler re-wraps, yuk.... All part of
being young and having your first car.... Enjoy it...

When I first looked for a car, my Dad took me to dealerships, and we looked
at a '74 Dasher wagon I thought was cool.... Several '76-78 Mustangs, Yah
I liked those... One '73 Mach 1 that burned oil, NO.... Sorry on that one....
I almost got a '71 Datsun 510 - later on I found out what a cool car it was...
I don't think Mom cared..... Most of what I looked at was '65 - 73 mustangs
that needed several years of rust restoration before they could be driven....
Then One day riding my bike back from Closter NJ I came on this Red '73
Grande' Mustang that had been stolen off a used car lot in NJ driven around
and crashed into the Hackensack river.... $800. for a car that blue-booked
for around $2200. back then I was told.... Never really looked....
Half a summer, A junk yard you could walk around in, and lots of my kid-earned
money and I got it running.... Lots of fun... Lots of work.... Have fun !
Parents were really supportive, I did lots of rust work that didn't save it,
lots of mechanical stuff, and painted it too, all in the yard....
Once I spent all afternoon removing a lower ball joint/arm from the
junk yard - later found out it was a cheap easily obtainable part.....

Remember you'll never get your money back on all the things you're thinking
about doing to this thing..... Been there, done that....

Last edited by Username1; 04-01-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 PM
M is for Memory

My problem right now is time and money...I've got only about 150$ (because my folks are making me keep enough to pay insurance, whenever that bill comes) for gas repairs radio stuff, etc. until my tax refund comes...Then, I might be able to afford to buy ANOTHER one of theses tanks. Until I've got the funds I've got to pick my battles.
I decided to skip the WARCI radio meet because I had too much on my plate, and I don't want to spend money needlessly. I've got 4 lab reports to do, and I just finished a 24hour study marathon for the two midterms I took today (one of them was a last minute surprise ).

BTW it comfortably seats 6 (with the front center arm rests up) though the back three will not be comfortable to those trying haul their buts out at the end (getting out of the back seat is not as easy as it ought to be).

I do have a vacuum/pressure gauge (penske brand IIRC) and when we tweaked the idle we tried to find a vacuum line to do it right, but gave up. My friend only tweaked the idle screws a TINY bit. He said something to the effect of 'I've tuned enough lawnmowers by ear, that I'm sure I improved things'....One thing that has annoyed the crap out of both of us is the damn 1978 Ford manuals I got for my car, the PDFs are not searchable (or well indexed) somehow despite all the text being copyable, the manuals cover EVERY passenger vehicle Ford Motor co made that year and they randomly jumbled all the different stuff together so there is a TON of crap to wade through if you want something specific, and MUCH of the info is scant, and poorly written.....After a bunch of looking for carb adjustments (the section on the carb was virtually no help), timing settings etc, we gave up looking and got better results from google(!)....It is almost like you took a dozen sam's manuals cut down and fragmented the info, sliced them to ribbons, then randomly reassembled it into a combined manual.
I'm considering looking for a Chilton's manual for this thing.

I need to get on it, but I need time (and money for the major stuff)....I'm technically starting my "spring break" a day early this week since I don't have class on Thursdays, but then again they 'break' this year only consists of them giving us THIS Friday off.....I'd like to find out who the genius was that planned that, and find out what (s)he looks like with a tire track running down their back....The class schedule is torturous enough, they should ADD breaks (so we can catch up) not shrink them down to nothing....And to think some people wonder why there are virtually no social events or fraternizing between the guys and gals on campus.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Not sure how I got here.

The factory manuals are actually very good, Chiltons (sp) SUCKS ROCKS
you can find factory stuff on ebay, they were made by Helm, but they do not
aid in redesigning anything, just factory spec....

Don't expect much more than 6mpg at factory spec. My 351C with FMX 3 speed auto,
A/C PS PB got 9mpg, and it uncomfortably sat 6 little asses, (4 full size lards)
and it was hard to get out of too..... You need a '79 and up LTD if you want
BIG with a little mpg.... The 302's with VV's got 26mpg, and the EFI's later did
about the same.....

Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

wellll.....there are lots of places to hook the gauges to, and you do, but at different times...

high port, low port

you want, to start off, a port BELOW the throttle plates, which will read nice and high at idle. It will give you the most insight to vacuum diagnosable (I made that word up) items.

typically, for emissions and lower Nox, the vacuum advance ran on high port, or something above the throttle plates...lower advance at idle, increasing with rpm and hence when the vacuum moves UP the bores. There will be somewhere a thermal vacuum switch for when the coolant at the manifold (right after the heads) gets too hot, it switches over to a lower port which has a higher vacuum closed throttle which advances the timing and cools the cylinder heads and lowers nox - crude, but as effective as it needed to be.

Can you read the VECI label (vehicle emission control info label) either on the air cleaner, hood, or radiator valence. The most bang for the buck (lowest cost, least work, best results) you are going to get will be from replacing what HAS to be cracked leaking hoses, and verifying all the components work. Make sure any vacuum reservoirs are not holed, the choppers (they delay a vacuum signal change) all work.

and another thing you can do it warm the car up good and warm and make sure the choke has pulled off fully - butterfly utterly open, any lockout lever moved away.

socializing in college? they do that?

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

btw - the factory manuals will be at spring carlisle and all ford nats at carlisle - 2 vendors that I know of.

there is at least one guy online who sells them as cd rom scans

edited to add:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...78-P23638.aspx

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2015, 11:16 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
btw - the factory manuals will be at spring carlisle and all ford nats at carlisle - 2 vendors that I know of.

there is at least one guy online who sells them as cd rom scans

edited to add:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...78-P23638.aspx
That CD is basically what I have/was griping about...

Old 04-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Not sure how I got here.

It's cool that you have a carburetor car, and that you will have the exposure
to that kind of technology, also that you are making a lot of the repairs
yourself, there are a lot of people growing up today that have no idea
what goes on when you turn the key and step on the gas.....

This is the kind of shop manual you need.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ford-Li...af4dd2&vxp=mtr

From the ad:

Features

* Factory Authorized Reproduction
* All Models
* approx 2000 pages
* Body, Chassis, Engine, Drivetrain & Electrical

This includes

* Most Complete Shop Manual Available
* Physical Paper Manual!
* Numerous Illustrations and Diagrams
* Technical Diagnostic Procedures
* Disassembly and Installation Procedures
* Written by the Manufacturer
* Used by the Mechanics at the Dealership

-----------

Last edited by Username1; 04-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
It's cool that you have a carburetor car, and that you will have the exposure
to that kind of technology, also that you are making a lot of the repairs
yourself, there are a lot of people growing up today that have no idea
what goes on when you turn the key and step on the gas.....

This is the kind of shop manual you need.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ford-Li...af4dd2&vxp=mtr

This includes
* Physical Paper Manual!
As much as the paper version of my CD would be nice to have, at that price I'd be better off every day at school printing my CD at under the 20 sheets a day for free print allowanc.....Wait that is a good idea!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 PM
M is for Memory

Well the weather has been nice so I fixed the passenger power lock issue this weekend. On Friday me and a friend re-diagnosed the issue both switches only gave a response in one direction, and that response was a motor squeaking sound only from the passenger door. We got the passenger door card off and got a look at the motor in that door. It worked, but the rubber grommets that held it in it's mounts were turning to jelly, and predictably it had come loose from it's mountings. We figured out that the switch that was supposed to reverse voltage to it was not letting that happen, and thinking it was the passenger switch wasted a lot of time trying fix it. Then we ran out of time and buttoned it all back up.

The next day I messed around with the passenger switch more until I realized that it could not be the problem, and went after the driver side switch, I borrowed a similar switch from the window system and installing it yielded motor response from both switches in both directions (as it should). Being broke rather than spend 20$ for the correct replacement switch my solution was to drill a hole in the sealed plastic case and shoot contact cleaner in...It will now control the locks correctly, but if it is not re-centered quite right (the spring return is not as good after drilling the hole) the good passenger switch only will work one way. I wish the manual had an actual schematic of the circuit so that I could have figured it out back on Friday.

Today I fixed the passenger motor. Since it was out of it's mounts it would just try to turn futilely. The bad mount grommets were an odd shape that the hardware store did not stock so I got creative. My solution was to get some rubber stoppers (little rubber corks) the right size that they would be firmly wedged in the mount by the motor, and drill holes in them so the pegs of the motor would fit in the center....With how much effort went into squeezing it all together I think it is safe to say that it should hold together until those rubber stoppers start to rot. After that I lubed the motor (boy did that improve things) and cycled it about a dozen times, and put it all back together.

The driver side lock motor is still silent and unresponsive, but that is a job for another day. The way I see it the driver side power lock is the least important. I can let folks I travel with in and out easier now, and any future girl friend won't have to watch me bumble around with a key (that might need to be in the ignition at the time) as much.

I figure one of three things is wrong with the driver side lock motor: open motor, open supply/control wiring, or the motor is stuck REALLY firmly. Time will tell.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Door lock motors, are actually real motors and they get really crappy inside and
need to be carefully dis-assembled and cleaned, greased, and as long as the inside
is not too rusted, and the magnets go back together it can be used again.....

The window motor circuit is much less complicated than a tv. You can most likely
work it out on paper.... It's just a series of switches..... Switch contacts get pitted
by users pushing the window up and when it hits the top, they continue to hold
the button and it over heats and pits the contacts as well.... Ford's switches aren't
bad, you should be able to clean them up and get them working....

Anyway, good to hear you are making progress..... I remember working on my
mustang, first project get all the stuff to work the way is should.... I liked the
clock project the best.... Little set of breaker points to a coil that would wind
the main spring 1/2 turn every 5 minutes of so... Neat little thing...

Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 PM
M is for Memory

If the other motor is bad rebuilding it is plan A. I'm the type of person that likes to dive to the deepest level of failure that can potentially be fixed and start there.

Yeah, I was close to trying tracing it out before I found the fault...It would have been annoying though since most of the lock wires are pink with a faint gray stripe (either solid or in various dash/dot patterns), wrapped in harnesses that obscure what goes where, and that generally leave a lot of room for me to mix them up.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

The power window circuit is usually the same way, everything controlled through the drivers door. So since the drivers door is the one that gets used the most, it's common for the wires in the door jamb to break. Just my 2 cents from my mechanic years.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM
M is for Memory

I spent another hour on it today.

I decided to turn it around in the drive way (so if i dropped any screws they would not vanish in the grass), but was faced with it not wanting to start. I guess I ran the battery down last time I worked on it....
A good 5-10 minutes on my (likely period correct) TripLite charger/inverter restored enough charge to turn it over, and it was back to business.

In case anyone is curious what the procedure for getting the door card off is like here is a link to a video someone else made that is a pretty good representation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohVD8FgjhzE
The biggest learning curve was that the arm rest cushions on mine are not held in with velcro, but rather slide lock in place, and have to be slid back to remove them.

I was getting decent voltage at the motor plug so I coaxed the motor out (it wanted to stay in REALLY badly).

I dragged the door arm rest and motor in to work on them. The arm rest had some bad cracks on a thin section of it that I've super glued up....Setting that piece of plastic on my bed made me realize just how long the doors are on my car and at the same time how small my bed is.

I think the problem with the motor is evident in this photo....

I think I'll try soldering to the terminal rivet in the bottom of the motor and see what that gets me. I don't see an easy way into it presently.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Well who knows you might get off easy and not have to take apart the entire unit....
Lots of current runs through that little thingie, so be sure you use a large wire
when soldering it onto that lug/rivet.... Try and use multi-strand wire so you
have a bit of flexibility and you might as well do both sides, and remote
tie it to the plug wires, keeping the plug in the circuit in case you need it
later on.... If it works just seal off the plus holes so they don't corrode....

On old car doors like that, it is best to do all the work you can on one removal...
The crappy card board they made them with will get soft with each removal
and re installation... So fix it right, replace the speaker, clean everything,
spray some rust repair paint in the bottom, vacuum out the bottom of the
door where the drain holes are..... And be sure you carefully repair that
plastic water barrier that protects the cardboard.....

And if the window isn't running up and down right, or is a little too loose,
this is a good time to snug up the glass guides, and lube the runners....
Be careful what you lube everything with, or even if you should...
Our Honda Accord I have to use Armorall for lube it works best, as
the parts are rubber.... Some Ford guides are some cloth based stuff
and for the most part don't need lube.... If it seems to vibrate, or
semi-bind as it moves, my favorite dry lube is Chapstick.... Great for
key locks too by the way... House of car....

Anyway, check out everything possible while yer in there.....

Good luck and have fun !

Hey my finders had all those "Ford Dings" on them every time I had to
work on my car as well..... I think they planned it, 7" away from each
nut was a sharp piece of metal, or some other screw from the other side
positioned just so that when yer wrench slipped, there was some
sharp thing to say "Thanks for buying a ford, oh by the way, you need
a band-aid."

Last edited by Username1; 04-14-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:53 AM
M is for Memory

I've realized the motor is ceased, and there is no continuity to be found on those terminals....So it looks like I'm going to have to open it up. I sawed off the lower metal crimp (too thick a gauge to pry open), but it is still not coming open...Guess I'll saw a pinch farther up, and see what happens.
I probably should get some proper penetrating oil to try and unstick it (WD-40 don't cut it).

Yeah, I always end up with cuts on my hands when I get too focused on what I'm doing be it working on a car or a TV.
Yeah that car is it's own living room complete with couches....If I go to any far multi day swap meets in it I'll likely skip the motel.

Audiokarma