Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the last slant sixes were used in trucks about 1986. Last cars to have them were the cordoba and Mirada in 1983, and in the diplomat and fifth avenue. The slant sixes needed a higher axle ratio than the v8s, and i think they actually got worse mileage than the 318 at highway speeds.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 3.9 V6 debuted in the new-for-1987 Dakota, but they continued using slant 6's in full-size pickups that year. (Clearing out the old stock?) I do think the D100 went obsolete for a time (in the same way that the F100 went away) but they did come back for a time. My father had an 89 D100 with a 3.9, AT/OD. While it was a dependable truck for him, that was a lot of weight for that engine to lug around. The previous owner had sold it after a few months due to poor mileage; Dad was probably getting the same 12mpg that every other full-size pickup seemed to get back then.

I recall an old Consumer Reports test of a Gran Torino (or some such) comparing a 302 vs. 300. The V8 beat the 6 by 2mpg as I recall. Too much weight.