Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like the commentary about the quality of Daewoo sets, in general.

When I was doing Magnavox service with a dealer, we got a 19" Philips built set in an unopened box that was missing its flyback. It was a 19C3 chassis.

We wondered for a long time how this set got past quality control... until we got one that was missing its onboard tuner assembly... a 26B1 chassis.

I got warranty parts from NAP for both of these sets. I purchased the 26B1 set, and still have it in my sisters guest bedroom. Other than the missing parts, both sets functioned perfectly, after setting them up properly.

Amazing what an assembly line can do. I wonder how many other sets got away unfinished?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I like the commentary about the quality of Daewoo sets, in general.

When I was doing Magnavox service with a dealer, we got a 19" Philips built set in an unopened box that was missing its flyback. It was a 19C3 chassis.

We wondered for a long time how this set got past quality control... until we got one that was missing its onboard tuner assembly... a 26B1 chassis.

I got warranty parts from NAP for both of these sets. I purchased the 26B1 set, and still have it in my sisters guest bedroom. Other than the missing parts, both sets functioned perfectly, after setting them up properly.

Amazing what an assembly line can do. I wonder how many other sets got away unfinished?
Say what, completely missing parts? That's a shame!

I never cared for Magnavox.. Had a 19" Philips/Magnavox, and the tuner module keep falling apart.. I had to not solder it back together (the F-connector), I had to WELD it back together.. Screw that! (it was a 1999 TV).
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Motorola Minion

I wonder how a set like this was in use without a major filter unless it was sitting on a return shelf for 13 years??

Daewoo made cars too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo , then went bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Sounds like someone was NAPping. (couldn't resist)

The dealer I worked for part-time in HS ditched Magnavox after selling a boat load of T809 and T815 sets in '81, which kept the shop busy for a while. Once NAP redesigned their line and there was nothing left but the name, and issues with MAG MTS sound picking up noise on select channels carried by the local cable system, then NAP refused to warranty the fix. A year later they picked up Panasonic.

The same dealer dropped Zenith (after system 3 came out) and picked up Sony. 5 years later, the RCA-GE merge under thomson also was not without some issues.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post

Daewoo made cars too then went bankrupt.

They still do.... Chevy Aveo. They also made the early 90's Pontiac LeMans. When they went bankrupt they pulled out of the US but gm bought them out and used their facilities to produce small cars, seeing as a lot of stuff was shared between to two (primarily overseas).

They still manufacture heavy industries stuff for sale in the US (forklifts, bulldozers, cranes etc). Also air conditioners, microwaves, etc. probably different arms of the company no doubt, but they're still around.