Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 AM
VideoKarma Raccoon

Most interesting, I noticed a big difference in flipping the video peaking switch. Seems to lower the brightness quite a lot. The kine bias switch made such a small difference it's was really hard to tell.

I'll have to read the book again this evening, but if I recall correctly, I believe it said to flip the switch if the furthest position from chassis. I remember wondering if they meant from top or bottom of chassis O.o i left the switch in it's position when I received this set with switches all the way down position.

I wonder if these switches effect gun output if that could effect the life of the crt if not set correctly?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Most interesting, I noticed a big difference in flipping the video peaking switch. Seems to lower the brightness quite a lot. The kine bias switch made such a small difference it's was really hard to tell.

I'll have to read the book again this evening, but if I recall correctly, I believe it said to flip the switch if the furthest position from chassis. I remember wondering if they meant from top or bottom of chassis O.o i left the switch in it's position when I received this set with switches all the way down position.

I wonder if these switches effect gun output if that could effect the life of the crt if not set correctly?
Kinne bias will absolutely affect life. It should be set to the dimmest position that will allow all 3 guns to produce lines during G2 set up.

Peaking not so much....it is basically a video trebble control. It changes the level of the high frequency portion of the video. Lead dress of the CRT socket wiring and differences in video chain tubes and alignment will affect high frequency video. Peaking is a compensation to allow fairly uniform video detail.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Curious that the peaking switch would affect brightness. I wonder if they did something weird, like reduce the video gain (contrast) at the extreme peaking setting so there was more headroom for high frequencies? If I have the time I will have to trace through the schematic to see what's going on.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Curious that the peaking switch would affect brightness. I wonder if they did something weird, like reduce the video gain (contrast) at the extreme peaking setting so there was more headroom for high frequencies? If I have the time I will have to trace through the schematic to see what's going on.

It's literally what Electronic M said, Video peaking switch is a “a video treble control” hung off the contrast pot, it creates the illusion of adjusting brightness by changing the contrast parameters by choosing one of 3 different capacitors , depending on where the switch is set.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Raccoon

Update,
Put in a some late nights re doing the purity and convergence as well as the black and white setups. All very good and helpful into! : D it was a lot of learning and work, but I got an amazing picture now! It is crazy how involved these TV's were and all you had to do. I love it! hehehe

After getting the vertical pulled and the grids turned down I was able to see a difference in the Kine bias switch. it was already in its lowest setting and where instructions called for on the setup. Plan on keeping it there to get more life out of the CRT.
Audiokarma