Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Knight KG-625 6" VTVM -meter scale unit

Looking for a replacement Meter Scale assembly - the needle unit is broken at the base and will not function properly - My owners manual does not give a part number for the meter scale assembly.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suspect any microammeter would work. My guess is 100 or 200 uA FS.

If you can find one by the same manufacturer you might even be able to swap motors.

Alternatively you can glue the old pointer back on, assuming you have it. Exactly what's wrong with it?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

meter scale assy

NO: The needle is not the problem, the inter workings of the meter itself are bad?
Does anyone out there have Knight vtvm replacement parts ?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Inner workings are bad? That's not specific. Is the coil open? Is the problem with the bearings or springs?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK The coil has been pulled on and is no longer coil like shape, can you get a replacement kit for this ?
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those meters were not high end, nor were they rare at the time. So it's very likely you could find something close enough to work. If you keep the case and magnet you would need to find one by the same manufacturer to hope for a fit. Failing that, you have several options.

1. Find any meter with roughly the same sensitivity and swap scales. If the old scale won't fit, scan it and print an overlay for the new one.

2. Since it's a larger than average meter, you might find a smaller one and cement the old pointer on the new one.

3. Use a smaller meter with a panel insert to cover the space the old meter covered.

You can find meters that are close, from old Hickok, RCA, Heath, EICO, and the like. By the time you are finished, you might wonder why you worked so hard for a unit that was never all that great to begin with.

I have an HP VTVM model 410B that works. I'd sell it for a reasonable price. Of course, it's far superior in quality and performance,

I haven't used a VTVM in years.