Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:23 PM
I love old stuff

35 mm film (movie) projectors. Projectionists.

I'm curios:
1) Did any one around here worked as a projectionst. School, cinemas (movie theaters), 16, 35, 70 m.m. (IMAX or Non-IMAX);
2) Does any one ever owned an portable 35 m.m. film (movie) (motion picture) portable projector?
Old 10-07-2018, 04:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Only in high school for 16mm projectors in the classroom.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:35 PM
I love old stuff

And how it was?
Old 10-07-2018, 05:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ive got a pair of 16mm projectors I need to replace the worms on this winter, or at least one of them. And a working silent 8mm projector. Ive got a bunch of 16mm movies here to watch when I get them fixed. I want to mount them in my projector room when done.

i did run a 16mm in school.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
And how it was?
That's a very broad question!

As to quality, the sound was the poorest aspect, as the optical sound had poor high frequency response, and quite a bit of noise and distortion; but that wasn't critical as most of the material was educational narration.
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was a pretty cool film museum in Loningen, Germany, where I spent part of my summer as an exchange student. They had all sorts of projectors dating from the turn of the century, up until the mid-80's. I spent most of my afternoons there talking with the owners about all of the different technology used by different manufacturers throughout projection history. Along with all of the projectors, were racks of tube amps and voltage supplies. It's a shame that no one knew how to work on tube equipment, all of it was sitting unused.

Here's the website if anyone is interested
http://www.historische-kinotechnik.de/die-sammlung/
Old 10-08-2018, 02:07 AM
I love old stuff

Intresting site. It's a pitty that I don't speak German.

@ old_tv_nut : I was also curios how did you feel when doing that? Did you like playing with tech, feel proud of you doing that?
Anyway, there where any 16 m.m. projectors that had better sound?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Intresting site. It's a pitty that I don't speak German.

@ old_tv_nut : I was also curios how did you feel when doing that? Did you like playing with tech, feel proud of you doing that?
Anyway, there where any 16 m.m. projectors that had better sound?
Some projectors have better sound than others, but the issue is the format itself, not the projector. The fidelity of the optical soundtrack on a 16mm movie is limited by its width, and it's operating speed. The width limits the dynamic range, and the speed limits the high frequency response.

Projectors can make matters worse by not properly isolating the intermittent mechanism from the sound head, which introduces audible wow into the sound..

Set up well, fidelity isn't that bad. It's more than good enough for watching movies. It does also depend on the quality of the print. Some "dupes" have pretty crappy sound, but movies printed by a studio usually aren't bad.

I'd take it any day over watching a DVD, despite the sound quality issues.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Not only some pride in being recognized as one of the kids that knew how to do it, but nice perks like not having to sit in study hall when there was a need for an "audio-visual aide." Our high school in 1958-1962 had only one TV set, a large screen (24 inch?) black and white. The teacher who was in charge of the equipment always noted that it had been sitting in high humidity all summer and had to be dried out, so of course that was done by turning it on and tuning in to the baseball games. One thing the AV aides learned that was appreciated was to get the latest score when visiting the AV equipment room, and report it to the teacher where they took the film projector.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 10-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:12 PM
I love old stuff

That was fun.
The school that I attended (from 1st grade to 8th grade) had some tv sets (2-3; at least one colour) in the phisics laboratory, but only once a teacher turn it on for 1 minute... I think we've seen "The young and restless" (we had it Romania for at least 10 years).
16 mm projector... no, through all that they mention it in this catalogue (I got one... if I wasn't a lazy bone, I would have had picked it from the post office yesterday): https://www.okazii.ro/catalog-de-mat...962-a187315263
and my school was quite a good school. O.k., maybe 16 m.m. was obsolete in schools by the '90's, but we dind't even had any slide projection

Instruction for 16 m.m. projectors (1959) - school, yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UgRJ4V6H8M
Audiokarma
Old 10-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Instruction for 16 m.m. projectors (1959) - school, yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UgRJ4V6H8M
I am watching this and just stopped at the point where they show cleaning the lens by putting a drop of fluid on the lens - NO, NO, NO! Applying fluid to the lens could allow it to flow around the edge into the interior surface where it cannot be cleaned off. You should always dampen the lens cleaning paper slightly with fluid and clean the lens with the damp paper.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM
I love old stuff

But if a 35 m.m. brakes in 2 pieces at 40-70 degree angle can it be reapired or do you need to sacrifice 2-3 frames?
Old 10-20-2018, 06:44 AM
I love old stuff

Some one found 2 old projectors and repaired them: https://www.digi24.ro/regional/digi2...a-viata-478345
It's in Romanian, I know, but al least you can see the images.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the 1980s, I worked as a projectionist for a second job, and worked as a bench technician during the day. Eventually, I wound up servicing that equipment as a regular job, working as a field engineer for what had been RCA Service; that lasted 23 years, until I wrecked my knee on the job and "got retired". I am currently working for a company that makes high-tech safety instruments, which will carry me until I can finally retire for good.

I saw the theatre business decline a little more every year; it's nothing like it was 30-40 years ago.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tress View Post
I saw the theatre business decline a little more every year; it's nothing like it was 30-40 years ago.
I was the manager (& projectionist) of a large 700+ seat theater in downtown Neenah, Wisconsin in the late 1970's. https://oldneenahtheater.weebly.com/tour.html We showed Grease in the summer of 1978, sold out for weeks. Many of the kids saw the movie more than a dozen times. But business was so slow in the 1990's the theater closed and was torn down. At that time there were about a dozen screens in the valley.

Now however, the theaters have made an amazing comeback. Decades ago we only showed matinees on Sundays (and Saturday kid's matinees). Now there are over 30 screens in the multiplex theaters here and they show movies starting at 9AM weekdays. Can't believe how many cars are in the parking lots throughout the afternoon. I'd reckon there are a lot more people going to the theaters here now than there were in the 1970's.

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 03-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Audiokarma