Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rank these tube ENG/EFP cameras

Hello all.

I have the following color 3-tube ENG/EFP cameras:

Ikegami HL-79E
Hitachi FP-Z31
Hitachi FP-Z31A
Panasonic WV-555B

The Ikegami was my first tube camera, which I've fully calibrated, and it works quite well. I remember the calibration procedure being more complex than the others, but much more refined and precise.
I have three Hitachi Z31s and one Z31A, and those were simpler to adjust, and they seemed to have more advanced computer setup controls.
I haven't done anything with the Panasonic yet, but I've noticed that nearly all of the internal adjustment pots are on the front edge of each card. This is a nice feature, but other than that it seems to be the simplest of the four.
They all shoot nice images, with the Ikegami having the least lag, and the Hitachi Z31A seeming to have the best color response on all three channels.

Well, those are my my opinions on the cameras. What are yours? Does anyone have a rough timeline on when they were each introduced, and how high-end each were? Any stories about good/bad experiences with any of them? I know the Ikegami HL-79E was a favorite in the broadcast industry, but I know very little about the others.

–Tom
Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

There's one you "need" to get for your collection... if you can find that someone saved one: A Norelco/Philips PCP-90 "Backbreaker"!