Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

panisonic nv 3020

hows one get this hooked up to a display monitor?

my atempes have nothing showing scope shows i have signal

tried with a projector through the rca jacks and bnc on a lcd monitor tv i have that has rca svideo and bnc jacks on it

help?

Last edited by 1ajs; 05-12-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Video output from these is composite video on a "UHF" jack (that same jack commonly used for the antenna on CB radios) - it's also present on the 8 pin connector, but those cables are difficult to find. Easiest way out is probably a UHF -> BNC adapter and then a BNC -> RCA adapter.

If you already have the adapter/cable I suggest you try an old CRT TV. The processing necessary in LCD sets (and most projectors) probably won't lock onto a signal that is that unstable.

If the LCD monitor you're describing is one of those Samsung/Supervision commercial/surveillance monitors (the first that comes to mind with BNC and S-video inputs) I am almost certain this will be a problem. I gave up using these for test monitors as they were too fussy about what signals they would accept. They would not display stuff that worked on every other LCD set in the shop.

I've found many LCDs have trouble with the signal from a VHS deck if the tape (or deck) is in less than perfect condition or the tracking is off. The unstable signal cause the picture to drop out. The signal from a skip field type EIAJ VTR will probably be even less stable.

Old CRT TVs/monitors are far more forgiving as they don't need to process the signal. The picture may roll and breakup as the signal degrades, but you'll see something other than "NO SIGNAL".

If you need to capture these old tapes to a PC card or DVD recorder ideally you'll want a timebase corrector to stabilise the signal first.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok

makes sens wasnt sure

bashing my head trying to find a crt i relized the junk pile at the hacker space has something... witch i hooked up and got this then it stoped displaying anything and the high pitch noise u get off old monitors went away as well so i will asume that just commited suicide

it died shortly after i shot the pic
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those flybacks in those monitors often fail, but they usually squeal when that happens. If the monitor is completely dead (no squeal, no LED) check the power switch, also a common failure point on that model.

The signal you've got there is too far gone for and LCD set to lock onto. The deck probably needs some work.

Shouldn't be too hard to hunt down a CRT TV with AV inputs if that monitor is unrepairable. Just got to get to one on the curb before the copper scrappers.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

being its a hacker space someone showed up with a replacement monitor for me and irconicaly the same make and model of monitor and this tape is about seting a crt up actualy witch is kinda funny

i dont get any audio off the machean just static

http://youtu.be/6nhoJbzJE2Y

not in the video if i put it to pause it works like it should

anyone know where i can find a manual?

Last edited by 1ajs; 05-12-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

The lack of audio and the unstable picture could be related. On VHS the control track is recorded/played by the same head as the linear audio track. A dirty audio head or other faults around the audio head will cause tracking problems.

Though if the that tape was recorded from what was originally a filmstrip there may never have been any audio. Do you have any other tapes?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

when i turn the power on the audio needle goes nuts then sits at the bottom

yes a box of tapes
Old 05-13-2014, 04:43 PM
M is for Memory

One thing to be aware of with tapes that old is that some develop an issue where the playing surface of the tape becomes somewhat sticky and the tape will have so much friction with the head drum/tape path that it will slow the mechanism down below designed speed or outright stop it...When this happens the tape needs to be cleaned in order to be playable again.

Also it can be helpful to adjust the tracking and skew controls when it is that close to working.

Interesting content on that tape. Are you going to transfer it to a modern format and make it available?

I also have some EIAJ video tape machines(and a whopping 2 tapes) so if you get sick of having that box of tapes I'd be happy take them off your hands...Might even be able to transfer the video if my machines wake up well from a 2+ year nap.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
One thing to be aware of with tapes that old is that some develop an issue where the playing surface of the tape becomes somewhat sticky and the tape will have so much friction with the head drum/tape path that it will slow the mechanism down below designed speed or outright stop it...When this happens the tape needs to be cleaned in order to be playable again.

Also it can be helpful to adjust the tracking and skew controls when it is that close to working.

Interesting content on that tape. Are you going to transfer it to a modern format and make it available?

I also have some EIAJ video tape machines(and a whopping 2 tapes) so if you get sick of having that box of tapes I'd be happy take them off your hands...Might even be able to transfer the video if my machines wake up well from a 2+ year nap.
I second this... that takeup reel doesn't seem to be running too smoothly (seems to be lurching?), while the other one is fine. At the very least it'll play havoc with the tape tension.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

i want to digitze the tapes witch is why i bought it

when i turn the machean on with nothing on it theres lots of noise that then slowly peeters out
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

An experiment that may help narrow things down - Try recording something on some "new" tape. Spool some tape from a blank VHS tape onto an empty reel. If you don't have any empty reels splice together a continous loop.

If the transport runs smoothly with the "new" tape your old tapes are binding. There are various ways to clean/treat the tape prior to playing.

Being a B&W machine it may not play nice with color video (even if it is working properly) - I'd use the Y signal (green jack) from a DVD player (just be sure its set to NTSC/480i).
Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKtb...sDKsjppLYGwMJA
Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

99% rubbing alchohal recomended for cleaning the tape?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
99% rubbing alchohal recomended for cleaning the tape?
Not cleaning actually. What these tapes need is baking: the problem <ith EIAJ tapes has been found a long time ago to be sticky shed syndrome. The urethane binder loses its bonds which are replaced by water molecules, softening it enough to shed and stick on the transport with a horrible squealing noise.

If your tapes do not squeal, don't bother. If they do, you can "bake" them to 55°C for the time it takes to remove the water (it can be a day or two for a 1/2" tape), after which it is playable for a few weeks, and then progressively reverts to its shedding condition, but not worse than it was before. A tape can be baked several times, so put the tape back into storage when you have made a copy, for future use. There are several ways to "bake" a tape, and a kitchen oven is most definitely not one of them, it cannot regulate at such a low temperature and is perfectly able to melt the plastic, tape and reel alike. You can use a food dehydrator, or a laboratory oven, or even a cardboard box, a hairdryer and an industrial thermostat - which is what I do and it works well.

BTW the meter doing strange things at power-up is very common for machines of this age, it doesn't imply that there is a problem. Sorry, I can't see the needle on your video.

Last edited by jlb2; 05-14-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
An experiment that may help narrow things down - Try recording something on some "new" tape. Spool some tape from a blank VHS tape onto an empty reel. If you don't have any empty reels splice together a continous loop.
I'd strongly advise against doing that. Splicing a video tape is a pretty sure way to kill the heads of an EIAJ recorder. Also, VHS tape is really fragile for an EIAJ transport which has much more tape tension than a VHS transport.
Audiokarma