Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Still Here!

Hi all. I've been extremely busy with customers' sets and upgrading the shop facilities. I posted an ad on the Web site of a controversial conservative talk show host recently (because I believe in ABSOLUTE freedom of speech, and this guy will allow ANY viewpoint on the air). Anyway, the response was overwhelming. I've bought some new equipment and I've decided to resume restoring color sets for customers. Two are on the way, a Motorola 19CT1 with the 21" factory upgrade installed and a CTC5. I'm also planning to attend the Convention at Steve's ETF Museum if my transportation arrangements are reliable. As many of you may know, I am very nearsighted and unable to drive.

Just wanted to check in before heading to the Post Office to pick up another Tektronix 475 scope I bought to begin setting up another workbench.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good to hear from you again John! I am glad to see that things are looking up for the restoration business that you have.
If I can be of any help, (I have orphan tv's waiting for good homes) Just let me know!

Last edited by captainmoody; 04-05-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Captain. Things are definitely looking up since some setbacks have been cleared up including having to send one set back to its owner "improved, but not restored" partially due to his shortcuts in attempting to restore it himself, partially due to breakdown of my best Tek 475/DM44 scope and partially because trying to operate the chassis with the 21" glass CRT I had on hand proved feasible but frightening ... was afraid I'd weaken the neck one of those times installing and removing the yoke from the customer's set, thus making one of my sets harder to restore.

Still looking for a manual for a Sylvania CK3000 test jig I obtained recently. Perhaps some adaptors exist to interface it to one or two types of REALLY OLD color chassis.

Still wondering where to find those static convergence sliders to fix that Admiral roundie from my collection and wondering if anyone has some spare PM double-field ion traps for sale. So far, I've encountered one customer who sent me a B/W set with a 10BP4 and missing its trap magnet and I expect there may be other sets out there with the ion traps missing.

Just picked up a Tek 475 today at the post office ... with warranty this time. That will allow me to do advanced work such as alignment until I can find time to repair an intermittent X-Y mode condition on my other 475 and then have two reliable 475's on hand.

This summer, I plan to take some time off to restore some of my own sets while waiting for parts for other ones since I'll have a third workspace available.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Relaxin'

captainmoody:

You may want to check into this AK thread here because I think there is someone who may be able to use one of your orphan tv's. At least that's how I read it.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes and/or if I'm out-of-line here just PM me a message and straightening me out. I'll understand.

Paul

My Gear
Old 04-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Dead from the neck up

John,

If you have problems with transportation, call or email me. I am willing to go to Warren and bring you to the convention. I will arrange my work schedule accordingly if you need transportation.
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2004, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave
John,

If you have problems with transportation, call or email me. I am willing to go to Warren and bring you to the convention. I will arrange my work schedule accordingly if you need transportation.
Thanks, Dave. I've got a two-bed hotel room booked as close to the museum as I could find for a price I could afford and the plan is for myself, my parents and my teenage son to make the trip as a group ... all of us outfitted with "Amptech Systems" logo shirts in true professional style.

Another plan is to see if the second woman I've met who seems to have some interest in vintage electronics might accompany me. We have been "acquaintances" since high school and I only recently had an opportunity to show her my vintage tv collection and restoration facilities. She showed genuine interest during the demonstration of the working sets in the "display room" and wanted to see the Tektronix oscilloscopes in operation and see the inner workings of the sets and test gear. Both of us have our own reasons for avoiding anything that might resemble a "relationship" at this point and wanting to work our way gradually into anything that might develop, so two nights in a hotel room represents a bit of a leap of faith. Until now, we have deliberately limited the time spent together to "safe" environments such as arranging to meet at a nightclub and one visit to my home which was chaperoned by my somewhat hyperactive dog.