Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Antiques Road Show wants to borrow

Someone from the Antiques Road Show in New England wants to borrow a vintage color TV for a day.

Here is the text of the E-mail if anyone is interested.

"Howdy,

I'm writing to you from Antiques Roadshow. I am curious where you are located. I'm on a mission to find a vintage TV set in our area to use in our new spinn off show pilot. If you are near New England, please write me back, or call me (617-300-3477), and I can give you some details."

and the details:

"Preferably, we would like one of the new Predicta television remakes (http://www.predicta.com) that actually play in color, and we could attach a DVD/VHS player. It doesn't have to be one of these TVs, just something similar. The idea is for us to play old Antiques Roadshow footage on the TV during the show. If you know anybody that might have a vintage looking color TV that plays DVD/VHS, please let me know. We're aiming for anywhere within a 100 mile radius around Boston."

Adam Monahan
Production Assistant
Antiques Roadshow
(617) 300-3477
adam_monahan@wgbh.org

So there you go, want to be famous? give him a call

Last edited by Eric H; 03-17-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:11 AM
heathkit tv

Re: Antiques Road Show wants to borrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric H

Adam Monahan
Production Assistant
Antiques Roadshow
(617) 300-3477
adam_monahan@wgbh.org

So there you go, want to be famous? give him a call
For those who don't know, a production assistant is a glorified go-fer, nothing more. Don't take any of his promises or agreements as binding between you and the production company. This is not a slam on this person as I don't know him. What I DO know is the hierarchy of movie and TV production staff having been in the biz.

Get EVERYTHING in WRITING. Do NOT take anyone's word for anything. If you're dealing with something rare or valuable take multiple photos before you deliver the item and make sure they give you a copy of their insurance binder covering any potential damage(s).

Production companies are a love em and leave em kinda operation, them being with PBS doesn't change a thing. They'll promise you anything to get you into bed and will leave you before the sun comes up!

Oh yeah, production assistants are called PA's for short and are also referred to as Party Animals! LOL

Anthony
Old 03-18-2004, 06:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

What might be good for this situation is to use an old TV cabinet and insert a modern color monitor behind the mask. That way, an actual fully functioning old TV is not subject to abuse, yet it looks pretty convincing on TV. Also, you are assured of not having the picture bend at the top when the video is played. The new Predicta replica I think would be less realistic, the screen has the more rectangular shape of the modern CRT.