Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did the "hint of a pix" look something like this?

There is a face there, and sound is good, but the set needs more work... any ideas?

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 11-20-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: fixed broken image link
Old 11-07-2017, 05:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Did the "hint of a pix" look something like this?

There is a face there, and sound is good, but the set needs more work... any ideas?

jr
yes it did look like that and had sound but now it's gone.
Can you give a closer pic of where the 2 antenna wires go on the board. For all I know at this point you could have the same problem as I have only yours didn't get to the point mine is at now. There are a lot of these sets out there with the same thing going on with them, after all they are 39 years old not like the old sets resistors and caps and tubes and they work. I checked caps and as amazing as it is all caps I checked were above MF which is good. If you give up on yours and want to sell it to me maybe I could use parts for either one and just maybe I could get one working.

Last edited by timmy; 11-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

As requested... pix of antenna connection to board.

Made some progress... installed my one good speaker, resoldered the antenna connection, tuned my DTV converter box to ch 3, swapped out Video board and was rewarded with a decent pix and sound.

Still much work ahead, tuning voltage is low. Although I have about -34 volts to the hot end of the tuning pot, I can't get full range. (that's why I moved the converter box to ch 3 as the tv tuner was maxed out and not quite tuning the signal on ch 4.) See pix from last night.
I still have not got supply voltage from either of the rear jacks to operate the set, I supply 5 volts to the "bat" terminal on the sound board to power the set. Likely more corroded open runs will be found... the tuner boards are plagued with corrosion. Fun project!

jr
Old 11-17-2017, 09:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I still have not got supply voltage from either of the rear jacks to operate the set, I supply 5 volts to the "bat" terminal on the sound board to power the set. Likely more corroded open runs will be found... the tuner boards are plagued with corrosion. Fun project!

jr
Slaps forehead!
After checking all of the corroded traces on the tuner board which ohmed out ok, I discovered that the center pin of both the 6 and 12 volt rear connectors is NEGATIVE!
Duhh!

jr
Old 11-20-2017, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Slaps forehead!
After checking all of the corroded traces on the tuner board which ohmed out ok, I discovered that the center pin of both the 6 and 12 volt rear connectors is NEGATIVE!
Duhh!

jr
Yes lol the neg is in the middle not like all those plugs today are positive.
Audiokarma