Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:45 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Scored a CTC-86

I overheard a conversation at school the other day, some girl's grandparent died, and they were having an estate sale. Asked if there were any old TV's and there were. The outbuilding had some 80's stuff, and in the garage was a CTC-86. They said I could have as many TV's as I want for free. So I grabbed a CTC-117 knob tuned and I'm going back tomorrow for the console. It's a delta gun. The green tested extremely weak at the sale. I popped it with the auto restore on the CR 70, and it came back pretty well. Also the vertical is dead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2048.jpg (64.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

You did well!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:00 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Here are some of the other sets. Might also grab the System 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2049.jpg (126.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (83.5 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by TUD1; 03-03-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 PM
<----Zenith C845

Looks as if the channel selector knob on the RCA console is wrong for that model; may be a replacement for a missing one. It is very difficult from this distance to tell what TV the knob presently on the tuner is from, and I don't want to guess.

BTW, it seems you will be in pretty much the same situation an VK member bandersen, in Chicago, is in at this time. I don't envy you having to take all the TVs in your collection to Wisconsin when you move there this summer. The cost of renting two or more moving vans, one for your furniture, etc. and the other(s) for the TVs, could be and probably will be sky-high, especially considering the distance you will be driving. However, since you have mentioned having another house to store your TVs in until you can sort things out, that may not be a problem for you.

Also, the weather in Wisconsin will be much, much different from what you are used to in Birmingham. As you no doubt know, Wisconsin is one of the Great Lakes states and gets very cold winters, not to mention lots of snow. The winters are very long in that part of the country as well. I live in northeastern Ohio (another Great Lakes state) and get a lot of snow in winter, but from what I understand, Wisconsin gets a heck of a lot more.

The Great Lakes region is probably one of the snowiest regions of the US aside from Buffalo and Syracuse, New York or Minneapolis, Minnesota. There was a blizzard here in northeastern Ohio in the winter of 1978 that darn nearly paralyzed the area for several days. I was 22 years old and living in an eastern Cleveland suburb at the time, and remember getting at least a foot of snow in front of my garage during the worst of it; my next-door neighbor had snow halfway up the side door of her house as well.

I don't mean to scare you with all this talk about snow in the Great Lakes region. I don't know how familiar you are with that area of the US, although I think you may have been to Wisconsin more than once already, since you mentioned your dad has relatives there. I am only trying to make a point: Visiting there is one thing, but pulling up stakes and moving there is another matter altogether.

Because you will be moving there from Alabama, it will take you quite a while to get used to the Great Lakes area's weather, which as I stated is much different from that of the Birmingham area. Since you have stated in some of your recent posts here, however, that you like cold weather and apparently want to leave Alabama for good, the GL region's very cold winters probably won't bother you a bit.

Anyway, I wish you good luck when you make your move, and hope everything works out for you. Again, coming to Wisconsin from Alabama will take some getting used to, but I think you will be just fine.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-03-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 PM
The Resident Brony

Noice!
Audiokarma
Old 03-04-2017, 09:43 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I went back to the sale today and got the console, a couple portables, and a 1987 Zenith Thithtem Thwee. All for free. They told me any TV's I don't take are going to the dump. I can't allow that, now can I? The portables are a 1976 RCA B&W and an early 80's Magnavox color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (143.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (94.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0060.jpg (84.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Strange weather patterns in Wisconsin!

It's been a strange winter!
One or two days, 50's and 60's, next day 6" of heavy snow, for a February! Record highs for certain days.
In some of the past years, a whole week of sub-zero temps. Some Januarys, the temp never gets above freezing. It takes some getting used to, even for me, as I've lived in WI. all my life.
Heavy snowfalls seldom hinders us, as our population isn't as large as other larger cities.
According to the weather report, it's supposed to get up to the high 50's, low 60's this Monday.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Here are some of the other sets. Might also grab the System 3.
Dave,
Did you grab the large white Zenith Portable 25 inch set ? We have a black one from 1988 that my son uses daily to play video games on. I got from a man who dropped it on the floor, but it still works. Got the set 22 yrs ago.
Ed
Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Heavy snowfalls seldom hinders us
And we know how to drive in all kinds of snow and ice, not like those southern states where people panic with any hint of snow or ice.

Also, you can always dress warm (in layers) up here to handle the cold. There's not much you can do for heat relief in the summers down south when the temperature and humidity are both near 100 except hide inside with the air conditioning.

I'd rather deal with the cold.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
It's been a strange winter!
One or two days, 50's and 60's, next day 6" of heavy snow, for a February! Record highs for certain days.
In some of the past years, a whole week of sub-zero temps. Some Januarys, the temp never gets above freezing. It takes some getting used to, even for me, as I've lived in WI. all my life.
Heavy snowfalls seldom hinders us, as our population isn't as large as other larger cities.
According to the weather report, it's supposed to get up to the high 50's, low 60's this Monday.
Thanks for the forecast. I have to go out towards Iowa Monday to pick up a B&W set.
Audiokarma
Old 03-04-2017, 08:41 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I cleaned up the CTC-86 tonight, and I think it looks quite good. The vertical is still dead though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.jpg (71.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 PM
TheUniversalDave1

CTC-86 and friends

Also got the CTC-86's friends cleaned up. Little bitty 12" B&W portable (Taiwanian) and Panasonic made color portable. Both work fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (74.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by TUD1; 03-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Couple of nice saves there! That system 3 cabinet style is pretty scarcely-found in my area, I've only seen one in the white color. Not bad sets, IIRC this is the chassis that gets intermittent startup; where the LED readout and tuner appear to work but it is dead otherwise. If that happens, there is a psu capacitor that gets cooked by the regulator heatsink and needs changing. One of the 160v parts but I don't recall the capacitance value.

And yes those Taiwan made b&w sets are usually found working 100% still, much like any solid state b&w chassis. Only seen one problem with them, which is dim tube due to hard use. Recently picked up a Zenith Video Sentinel system which is a 12" b&w s.s. tv/monitor and a microphone and vidicon camera which patches in via a DIN-type connector on the rear of the set. It is Taiwan made and worked as found with a weak tube..Wrapped the tube with two turns of no.18 gauge wire fed into the filament supply. Bright as day and good contrast. made in 1979.

Interesting about the Magnavox-Panasonic connection. My '80 Magnavox 13" color uses a Matsushita horizontal output TO-3 but the IC chipset appears to be American sourced.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Wrapped the tube with two turns of no.18 gauge wire fed into the filament supply. Bright as day and good contrast. made in 1979.
Could you please explain this procedure, both the thought behind it and the procedure itself?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
TheUniversalDave1

The B&W RCA tube tested weak, all I did was use the Auto Restore feature on the Sencore CR70 and it came back perfectly. The Zenith Thithtem Thwee is actually woodgwain, not white.