Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2004, 06:58 PM
brain0willis

please help ID this radio

$30 at a local garage sale, my first antique radio. AM, SW, and police bands. The only company names I see are T. R. Corp and Maseltine(sp?). The latest patent number appears to be awarded in 1938.

I haven't tried to power it up as I don't have a variac and I'm not sure what problems I may encounter. The seller said it hadn't been plugged in since the 60's. Other than exterior scratches and yellowed dial plastic, it seems to be in excellent condition.

rear view
sticker
bottom

Old 03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi:

Here is a picture of an ad from the 1938 Lafayette catalog. It looks very similar to your set but the cabinet is a bit different. I'm not sure if Lafayette made their own radios or if another manufacturer made radios for them.

Steve
Old 03-21-2004, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

That Lafeyette sure is close. They didn't make their own stuff; that radio looks like one of the many styles of some of the independent makers that made sets for lots of department stores & such. Why is it the nameplates always seem to be missing? I must have a dozen URO's (unidentified radio objects) T.R. sounds familiar but I can't think off hand who it would be. Hazeltine was a company that licensed out patents on different circuits.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:53 PM
brain0willis

thanks!

Wow, it does look close.

Where can I go to read about getting it working? The powercord insulation is rotting so that obviously needs to be replaced first.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one just like yours.
It doesn't have any names or markings on it.
Would be nice to know.
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Audiophool

Try the forums at antiqueradios.com. There are lot of knowledgeable people there.

The Lafayette may be later - it lists octal tube numbers, and the one you show has the older "big pin" types.

That transformer doesn't look too good - I would check for shorts, then plug it in with a light bulb in series to limit current. AFTER replacing the cord, of course.

Last edited by Tom Bavis; 03-22-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:07 PM
brain0willis

Okay, maybe it's not in so excellent condition.

Power cord, definitely. I'll check the transformer for shorts. Do I need to desolder the secondaries or can I measure them connected?

The bottom left of the "bottom" picture shows the big pile of a dark waxy substance right under the trasnformer.

Does a lightbulb in series provide the same effect as using a variac?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I dunno guys; it don't look THAT bad !! I've seen lots worse. Check the tubes, DEFINATELY put in new caps & a new dial light-I'd just about guarantee that one's burnt out- & a new cord & it might start talkin' again, after you check out the transformer. Pretty sure its pre-WW2, in any case.-Sandy G.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked around and found www.radiomuseum.org that lists loads of radio manufacturers. There were three or four that might fit T R Corp.

Rob

Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.