Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
A GE E_81

No--it is SUPPOSED to use a 6L6 amp tube. It is in riders 7 I think.
It also looks like someone has replaced the caps with newer ones underneath--the pix shows the pair of them missing along with the rect. tube. Hope that big power tranny is ok...

I have NOT picked it up yet. Was doing so today--and got in a traffic jam which messed things up for me BUT. I AM getting it Monday--i want it before my radio club Tuesday night for "show and tell".
I looked up the Riders and it does use a 6L6.
Rather impressive for a GE. Also, a high tube count. Great find.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well turns out the power tranny is toast. I suspected something when I pulled out the chassis and there was melted wax on the bottom of the cabinet and the dial lights were dim after recap. Trans got real hot real quick, even with the rectifier tube out.
I checked over at arf and found a posting about these trans. They said to use a trans from AES part number p-t27bx. So I ordered one.
Now I got a question. According to the riders schematic pin 4 and 6 on the 5y3 are suppose to have 305 volts ac on them. The schematic on the transformer I ordered has 600vct on the primary not counting the center tap.
Do I hook it up the same even though the voltage is higher?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

That probably means 305 volts AC to GROUND....on EACH pin--and it would be about 600 v. ac between them. so--that tranny sounds just about right.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

The rect. tube looks to be missing on that GE..I PRAY...that big tranny is not gone on it !!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
That probably means 305 volts AC to GROUND....on EACH pin--and it would be about 600 v. ac between them. so--that tranny sounds just about right.
So then the center tap goes to the c19 12mfd lytic like the original trans did?
Audiokarma
Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
I saw no less than 10 pilot TVs, a guy who had a Siesta and a Princess both with known working CRTs, and between the two you could have one very good condition visually, and one "acceptable but battle-worn" visual condition. A few bug-eyes and portholes several space-command sets, some motorola electrostatics. Didn't see any color roundies, but then again there may have been some Thursday or Friday.

Anybody know what happened to the very large, very heavy, all metal cabinet RCA that I spotted perched on the dumpster out by the front lot around 12:30 on Saturday?

Edit: TV Parts everywhere, yokes, vert-block-osc xformers, brighteners, a few flybacks, etc.
HI NoPegs, that 1981 BW Zenith was my donation, working when I brought it.
Came from an estate in Lancaster about 12 years ago along with a 1949 Emerson 544, 1960 Emerson 23" and 1970 Philco 9" B310W.
The owner was a never-married nurse at nearby Community Hospital. Her entire TV ownership history and everything else was there.

I did see an RCA CTC9 "Abbott" with legs included, that sold pretty quickly for $200. Same ex-tv repair guys from Philly that sold me a working Sencore VA-48 for $5 one year. I suspect he may have more treasures in September.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-11-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:58 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
HI NoPegs, that 1981 BW Zenith was my donation, working when I brought it.
Came from an estate in Lancaster about 12 years ago along with a 1949 Emerson 544, 1960 Emerson 23" and 1970 Philco 9" B310W.
The owner was a never-married nurse at nearby Community Hospital. Her entire TV ownership history and everything else was there.
Well, at least you can rest easy knowing it went to a (mostly) respectable home, and now I know the back-story on it. Focus is a bit soft, but I don't think that its the tube's fault. I think it just needs adjusted and maybe a few electrolytics replaced on an as needed/probable cause basis. I believe it is destined to become the workbench TV. Big enough to watch, but small enough to find a place for it to live permanently.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusnyder View Post
So then the center tap goes to the c19 12mfd lytic like the original trans did?
The center tap goes to the same place, the original transformer CT went.The set uses a B- line to provide bias for the audio output tube.
I have to look at the schematic again.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The center tap goes to the same place, the original transformer CT went.The set uses a B- line to provide bias for the audio output tube.
I have to look at the schematic again.
Ok then there is 2 taps left, 5 volts and 6.3 volts. I assume the 5 volts are for the dial lights, and the 6.3 is for the filaments, correct?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

5 volts is for the rectifier filaments. 6.3 is for other tube heaters and dial lights.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
5 volts is for the rectifier filaments. 6.3 is for other tube heaters and dial lights.
It seems that the 6.3 volt heater winding is a little skimpy. Only 3 amps!
The tube count shows a load of 3.45 amps, including the dial lights.
You'd have to check the operating temp of the PT, after a few hours. If it seems to run warm, you might have to subsitute #47 dial lights to reduce to current a bit.
Depends how much reserve is built in the transformer. Hammond transformers are a great product!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
It seems that the 6.3 volt heater winding is a little skimpy. Only 3 amps!
The tube count shows a load of 3.45 amps, including the dial lights.
You'd have to check the operating temp of the PT, after a few hours. If it seems to run warm, you might have to subsitute #47 dial lights to reduce to current a bit.
Depends how much reserve is built in the transformer. Hammond transformers are a great product!
I got the transformer on monday and Installed it. I also fused both leads on the secondary that go to the rectifier. After about a hour running it started to get warm. I pulled out the dial lights and they were 44's. I put in 47's in. I'll have to run it tomorrow night to see if anything changes heat wise on the transformer.
What a sensitive radio! Especially on shortwave. Got all kinds of stations, more than any of my other radio's
Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Just make SURE--you do not go below the B= voltage--even WITHOUT a load. But do not go too much ABOVE the rating either. For example. If it is a 16/250...do NOT put in a 16/450. a 350 would be ok. It is hard to explain--but if the voltage is too LOW...the cap will "deform" and rapidly get high ESR. I have SEEN this before.
I recommend not to substitute 350-450V capacitors for 150V ones on any AC-DC chassis. The so-called "universal" power supply uses a half-wave rectifier, and the 150V capacitors were designed to live with the ripple current. 450V capacitors were designed to work with full wave rectifiers and simply couldn´t cope with the half-wave ripple, so they failed miserably pretty soon. And one was left wondering why.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
Oh, hey! I just noticed your location tag. Hello from over in Myerstown!

You should have stuck around, the club table had a load of cool stuff at it still when dollar time began. Even when it became "Distributed Garbage Removal Time! Please, just take it away!" there were still useful things to be had, both small and large. I mostly loaded up on the small freebies this time around, on top of the $24 worth of dollar time purchases I had already schlepped over to the car...

Today could have been worse. It didn't rain, it wasn't unbearably humid, and the temperature was nice up until about 90 minutes before the dealer raffle drawing.

I'll post a more comprehensive list with photos later on, but I came home with two medium tube caddies; one Sylvania in "fair" aesthetic condition, solid mechanical condition, and one Zenith in very good condition all around. In the same theme I picked up a Zenith serviceman's caddy (Designed for the solid state era inside, by the looks of things.) in excellent condition. Finally found an AM/FM Bakelite cabinet radio in straight forward restoration condition, which also happens to be Zenith, and then I took pity on the B&W Zenith portable (1981 vintage) that was still at the club table. Zenith turned out to be my theme today. I also grabbed another Riders TV manual, Volume 8 this time,(If I get one volume every Kutztown, assuming no duplicates I'll have more than half of a complete set by 2020 I think.) and one of the "3 neons and a meter" style B&K CRT testers in unknown internal condition. I'll dig that out tomorrow and figure out if its worth overhauling or not. (Dollar Time score.)
So you're from Myerstown, PA Huh? That's funny because I have some relatives that live over there, in fact my great-grandfather owned the Chrysler Dealership that was there for many years!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:45 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
So you're from Myerstown, PA Huh? That's funny because I have some relatives that live over there, in fact my great-grandfather owned the Chrysler Dealership that was there for many years!
Well, my data-plate reads: "Assembled and Tested in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania." But I've called Myerstown my home now for the last 8 years. Small world indeed!
Audiokarma