Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Portable Hoarder

Smile Smallest most compact RF modulator?

Hi guys, I'm new here. I've got a passion for ~5" portable color tubes with AV inputs, but recently was gifted a lovely 13" Sharp Linytron Plus and was thinking about sticking my spare unused Chromecast inside to make an all-in-one package.

However to get there obviously I need to uncase several components and make the smallest device I possibly can inside the TV. So what's the smallest RF modulator I can find to stick inside some spare space? Getting HDMI to composite is easy and cheap, tiny active converters are common for $10, and they run on USB power so it's easy to tap into whatever power supply I find for the Chromecast, however most RF modulators I've seen are fairly clunky.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:40 PM
M is for Memory

Most off the shelf stuff is the same size (~1"X4"x3").
Only way I can think of to go smaller is to pull the shielded RF modulator module out of a VCR or sat box, google the data sheet and rig it to accept A/V and power inputs....I don't know your skill level, but this can vary from easy (I've got one out of an 80's cable box or VCR that has 4 input pins A,V,B+,Gnd), to complex (I have a REALLY tiny UHF agile multi-standard modulator out of a sat box that needs I^2C protocol from a micro-controller to set the channel, broadcast standard etc.*).

*That one I had to write code for an Arduino Uno board to control.

Personally (unless a set is rather beat up/undesirable, and the owner is motivated) I'm not a fan of modifying/hacking things up. If the mod becomes undesirable and is not easy to completely reverse, then the set takes on a crappy feel in any application after the mod falls out of use.

One thing that might be worth your consideration is not to modify the TV but find space elsewhere for a modulator and the chromecast. If the set is being used where you can't locate the modulator close and don't want to run cable, a good solution is to get a Blonder Tongue AM60, BAVMz or AM40 series modulator...While bigger than consumer offerings they (when working properly*) will provide superior picture and sound performance, and have enough RF power that with a good TX and RX antenna you can transmit wirelessly for a good block radius.
If you just want the chromecast/HDMI converter hidden for a classic look, perhaps you could hide those inside an old VCR (the VCR will have an RF modulator built in).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM
M is for Memory

One smaller modulator I just remembered was the outboard accessory ones sold for some LaserDisc players and some older camcorders. They had standard mono audio and video male RCA jacks and a male 1/16" phones plug between the RCA jacks, and would plug into a trio of matching connectors on the devices made to work with them. Those were IIRC ~2" in their biggest dimension.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Portable Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Most off the shelf stuff is the same size (~1"X4"x3").
Only way I can think of to go smaller is to pull the shielded RF modulator module out of a VCR or sat box, google the data sheet and rig it to accept A/V and power inputs....I don't know your skill level, but this can vary from easy (I've got one out of an 80's cable box or VCR that has 4 input pins A,V,B+,Gnd), to complex (I have a REALLY tiny UHF agile multi-standard modulator out of a sat box that needs I^2C protocol from a micro-controller to set the channel, broadcast standard etc.*).

*That one I had to write code for an Arduino Uno board to control.

Personally (unless a set is rather beat up/undesirable, and the owner is motivated) I'm not a fan of modifying/hacking things up. If the mod becomes undesirable and is not easy to completely reverse, then the set takes on a crappy feel in any application after the mod falls out of use.

One thing that might be worth your consideration is not to modify the TV but find space elsewhere for a modulator and the chromecast. If the set is being used where you can't locate the modulator close and don't want to run cable, a good solution is to get a Blonder Tongue AM60, BAVMz or AM40 series modulator...While bigger than consumer offerings they (when working properly*) will provide superior picture and sound performance, and have enough RF power that with a good TX and RX antenna you can transmit wirelessly for a good block radius.
If you just want the chromecast/HDMI converter hidden for a classic look, perhaps you could hide those inside an old VCR (the VCR will have an RF modulator built in).
I totally understand the sentiment of not wanting to modify a perfectly good set. This unit is rather tired, of the "sat in the garage and had stuff on top of it" variety. That said, I'm not going to be doing any irreversible mods. At most I would tap into the AC input for the converters/chromecast, and the antenna input for the output of the RF modulator. Possibly hot snot a couple of microswitches if for some reason I wanted the adapters inside to turn off when the TV is off. I'm not going to be cutting or chopping anything physical if I can possibly avoid it.

As for an agile modulator, that is something I considered, but I really like the idea of a pick up and go set, and I tend to take my old TVs (and their corresponding adapter chains) with me to friends' houses or work, so the idea of just having an all-in-one machine that can play or stream content is very appealing. I'll be eventually getting a Blonder Tongue for my other sets. This one is more experimental for me, as it's not a size or type of TV I normally collect.

I'm not really up to making a whole Arduino board to control a modulator. Preferably looking for near plug n play devices, though obviously minor soldering won't be a big bother. I'll definitely take a look at those accessory modulators. That sounds like a perfect setup to me, as they have normal RCA jacks making it easier to set things up.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you want a super small RF modulator, get an old model 1 Sega Genesis. I'm not kidding, they have super tiny RF modulators in them, and have the most simplest pinout: Ground, 5v, video, audio. (Not in that particular order).

http://retrorgb.com/images/GenesisRGBBypass02.jpg
Audiokarma
Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Portable Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
If you want a super small RF modulator, get an old model 1 Sega Genesis. I'm not kidding, they have super tiny RF modulators in them, and have the most simplest pinout: Ground, 5v, video, audio. (Not in that particular order).

http://retrorgb.com/images/GenesisRGBBypass02.jpg
That's the can at the back, right? That'd be super useful. I assume that's composite video in the pinout? If that's the case this'd probably be the easiest to source tiny RF modulator. Easy to find cheap untested bare consoles on eBay.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Correct, the little metal box in the back (and yes it's composite video..). In fact, I have a Genesis system here where I don't use the RF, and would be willing to remove it to send for you. I'll test the RF out to make sure it works, and if the picture looks good enough, I'd be happy to sell it to you.

Mine is from the US, so it's NTSC with channel 3 and 4 selection. I'll post pictures of the RF out quality from it.

Last edited by lnx64; 08-23-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Portable Hoarder

Quote:
Correct, the little metal box in the back. In fact, I have a Genesis system here where I don't use the RF, and would be willing to remove it to send for you. I'll test the RF out to make sure it works, and if the picture looks good enough, I'd be happy to sell it to you.
Hey, works for me! Even if I don't end up using it in this project I have been wanting to make a tiny TV test box and the RF can would be useful for that, too.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's pics of the quality of the small RF modulator in these machines.

https://imgur.com/a/s7BlV
Old 08-23-2017, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekintosh View Post
Hey, works for me! Even if I don't end up using it in this project I have been wanting to make a tiny TV test box and the RF can would be useful for that, too.
Cool, shoot me a PM and I'll see what we can work out. I'm modifying my Genesis for RGB video, and with how I'm trying to get the best picture and sound out of it (even replaced the sound chip with something better--but compatible), I have been wanting to get rid of the RF modulator in it, to remove any noise it may be injecting back on the system.
Audiokarma
Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I have some Astec modulators from old 70s and 80s stuff, but my favorite is the little Alps modulators used in later VCRs and DVDs. 2X1x1/2 inch or so. You can find larger VCR, Cable and Satellite box modulators for 2 bucks each new, so I no longer scrounge. They even have RF pass through, so I use them on my daily driver with my DTT900 to test video units.

Worst modulator? Some of the early game units (we're not talking Atari, Nintendo, or Sega, but the cheaper/California all-in-one start-up stuff) - all discrete components, and drift like you wouldn't believe.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Cool, shoot me a PM and I'll see what we can work out. I'm modifying my Genesis for RGB video, and with how I'm trying to get the best picture and sound out of it (even replaced the sound chip with something better--but compatible), I have been wanting to get rid of the RF modulator in it, to remove any noise it may be injecting back on the system.
With the Saw-resonator based modulators (last 15 years or so from Alps, Matsushita, Murata, and Toshiba), they lock dead on, with zero harmonics - any noise is typically a ground loop or RF leakage. I like HVAC tin foil tape for RF leakage issues, although the last I've really experienced was with the old OAK and SciAtlanta Cable boxes. Once they went addressable, we no longer could repair them.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
With the Saw-resonator based modulators (last 15 years or so from Alps, Matsushita, Murata, and Toshiba), they lock dead on, with zero harmonics - any noise is typically a ground loop or RF leakage. I like HVAC tin foil tape for RF leakage issues, although the last I've really experienced was with the old OAK and SciAtlanta Cable boxes. Once they went addressable, we no longer could repair them.
Shouldn't be any RF leakage, but I think it's ground loop issues. On the Sega Genesis, it's VERY sensitive with these RF modulators (Sega was certainly reluctant to put adequate filtering on it). The modulator works great otherwise, even as simple as it is. Since removing it to prepare possibly sending it to OP, as expected, RGB video cleaned up and lost the jailbars I was seeing before.

This is what this tiny little RF modulator has inside: http://i.imgur.com/zY5KfdD.jpg

No idea what the POT does, I'm guessing output power, but I have no plans to mess with it.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:

No idea what the POT does, I'm guessing output power, but I have no plans to mess with it.
Neat to get a look inside that.

That adjustment is NOT a pot, it is a ferrite tuned inductor or transformer. It likely tunes the frequency of the modulator, or some filtering for the system. I agree, you don't want to mess with it casually.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Neat to get a look inside that.

That adjustment is NOT a pot, it is a ferrite tuned inductor or transformer. It likely tunes the frequency of the modulator, or some filtering for the system. I agree, you don't want to mess with it casually.
The saw resonator sets the Output frequency - the adjustable coil sets the Audio modulation center frequency, for the 4.5MHz offset.

I've got several hundred brand new SAW resonators for a later Toshiba chip - useless these days, as the chip is about 3 bucks, and a whole modulator is a buck less.

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Audiokarma