Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 PM
M is for Memory

Slip Plate sprayer and valve cloging

Some time back I bought a can of Slip Plate to recoat some CRTs that were shedding their original dag.

I've only done ~4 CRTs (used roughly half the can) and fairly early I've noticed that the nozzle clogs a lot I've been cleaning it by pulling it off and dipping it in GoofOff. The first ~3-5 times it worked okay and did not re-clog too fast, but it has come to the point of clogging almost instantly after cleaning. I eventually made the nozzle orifice bigger and that has not helped much. It seemed before that it was only the nozzle clogging, but now it seems the can valve is also doing it since sometimes it stops spraying and the valve is clear.

Last time after some spraying I finished by pulling the nozzle and sticking a paper clip in to force the valve open to BLAST coat the last patches...At the rate things are going I'm going to run out of propellant long before I run out of the liquid in the can....I'm thinking of punching a hole at that point and decanting that into a jar to brush on to more tubes (it ain't cheap so I want to get all I can out of it).

Has anyone else had this happen or did I just get a bad can?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Are you shaking the can well? That stuff tends to clump easily and will clog the spout when you try to spray.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 AM
M is for Memory

Was shaking it decently. It ran out of propellant last night so I did an autopsy...The valve was making crunching sounds in operation. After making sure there was no pressure in the can I punctured it and decanted the remaining paint into a twist off glass soda bottle (for future use) and cut the can wide open...The 'mixing balls' were a pair of the most chipped up glass marbles I've ever seen....

My theory is that after a few uses (read times shaking it) the marbles made enough glass chips that every time I unclogged the sprayer new ones would be rapidly sucked up and re-clog it...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-02-2017, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Was shaking it decently. It ran out of propellant last night so I did an autopsy...The valve was making crunching sounds in operation. After making sure there was no pressure in the can I punctured it and decanted the remaining paint into a twist off glass soda bottle (for future use) and cut the can wide open...The 'mixing balls' were a pair of the most chipped up glass marbles I've ever seen....

My theory is that after a few uses (read times shaking it) the marbles made enough glass chips that every time I unclogged the sprayer new ones would be rapidly sucked up and re-clog it...
The small-scale CRT rebuilder in Muskego, Waukesha county used to brush on the auqadag coating, instead of spraying it. It was done neatly and didn't look too bad.
I bought a lot of CRT's from there and they stood up well.