Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

G.E. Locomotive sets, Questions

Could someone comment on which one of these 2 would be the preferred set to get ? Providing the bakelite isn't broken and the chassis's aren't rust buckets. Is the one with the smaller picture tube the earlier of the 2 ? I've never seen one in person, but it could be an interesting project. Is there anything else I need to be aware of besides the price. What would be a fair price ?
Thanks to all...
Tony
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/s...ationFlag=true
Old 07-06-2017, 07:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think they're both 10" sets, but the one with the more rectangular crt mask is older.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Administrator

That National Sky Chief with the original box has to be worth some bucks.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's a toss-up which is the better GE. Some love the double-D, many, like myself like the early rectangle mask. To me that one goes nice with the lines of the set. Both are 10". I would go with the cleanest, complete example. They are great sets when polished-up. They are also great performers when the chassis is restored. Mine is one of my best performers. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
That National Sky Chief with the original box has to be worth some bucks.
The receiver is a Hallicrafters Sky Chief, the box is from a National NC 33.
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Both models are desirable... the 3:4 retangular is the earliest, but the double D just shouts "round CRT!", and provides a larger apparent picture size. I like having models with each style, as the comparison makes for an interesting story of early consumer tv development.
If faced with that choice, I would simply buy both, if condition/price is similar.
Earlier thread showing my 2 sets here:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269086

jr
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

My preference is the later double D but both are very desirable and nice. I just bought a double D and if should be arriving soon. They can be a tad tricky restoring but not a horror show like the Predicta. Just cautious and use a line isolation transformer when working ad these are transformerless chassies! But like em' and they are nice performers when fully restored.

George
Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks to me like the double D one has the correct set of knobs. I would consider it a plus. BUT, if the bakelite case is cracked and the other one isn't, I would definitely choose the one without cracks.

I second that they restore visually nice and they do perform great. Like the other poster stated, it is one of his best performing TVs -- I find that to be true.

BTW, polish the bakelite with Novus to a nice shine, remove the rubber CRT mask and wash with Dawn to make it look mint green again, strip and polish the solid brass escutcheons to a nice shine, then a little white paint on the knob marks ... and you will have an amazing looking set.

Here is mine - it was a fun restoration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201707-009.jpg (108.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Old TVs are better!

I have a GE Locomotive set exactly like the first one pictured in the link. However it just sits here as it needs a new CRT 10BP4? (if I remember the number right) and complete recap and service. I haven't tried to fix or restore it as it doesn't seem to be cost effective. Case is in great shape. Maybe someday when I have some extra money I'll find a CRT for it and go from there. In meantime it's just sitting there under my bench.

Last edited by walterbeers; 07-09-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
I have a GE Locomotive set exactly like the first one pictured in the link. However it just sits here as it needs a new CRT 10BP4? (if I remember the number right) and complete recap and service. I haven't tried to fix or restore it as it doesn't seem to be cost effective. Case is in great shape. Maybe someday when I have some extra money I'll find a CRT for it and go from there. In meantime it's just sitting there under my bench.

"Cost effectiveness" is missing the entire point. You restore a vintage TV or radio to work because you like the set! If it's cost effectiveness youre after, just go down to Best Buy and grab a set that meets your standards.
Audiokarma
Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM
M is for Memory

I've seen various 10" sets with rotted out unrestorable wood cabinets or missing cabinets, but good CRTs go for under $40 many times (I even sold one).....Walter if your set needs a 10" round CRT (any TV type will sub) just keep an eye out for a 10" parts set of any make/model. Once you have a usable CRT the rest will follow. The 10BP4 and compatible types are often the easiest to find due to the number of years they were made and the sheer volume of sets they went into.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post
"Cost effectiveness" is missing the entire point. You restore a vintage TV or radio to work because you like the set! If it's cost effectiveness youre after, just go down to Best Buy and grab a set that meets your standards.
Very true. Some of the low-valued sets can be really enjoyable to watch. I put small fortunes into getting my rather common vintage TV's going by repairman and have no regrets when I watch a classic movie or TV show on them!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have the square view with the neat bakelite case. I don't have that wood double D, and, wish I did.