Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

My first U-Matic deck

It's a JVC CP-5200U, got it for free. I've handled many VHS and Beta decks but never a U-Matic, so I wasn't expecting it to be such a boat anchor. I had to bring it home on buses after carrying it a fair distance back to the main road; enough of this sort of thing and I'll be ready for an Ironman contest. I got questions from curious onlookers on the way back, which I was happy to answer. It may not be much but I think it's cool and I'm looking forward to finding out more about U-Matic, and if anything is on the tape.

Any idea what the part number for the power cord might be?

Edit: compatible power cords are the Kawasaki KS5/5E and the Kyowa CS-400. The similar oval plug will fit but may not grip the pins tightly enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC CP-5200U.jpg (94.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg JVC CP-5200U back.jpg (88.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg JVC CP-5200U labels.jpg (91.4 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-05-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:33 PM
M is for Memory

Nice score! It looks like a stripped down version of my Sony VO-1600 Umatic.

The power cord for that is an obsolete computer cord (IIRC IBM or some such)... I have about three of those cords, and 5 machines that use them....I wish I could find more.

If you need a tape with video on it I could probably send you one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. Chances are there is something on the tape though as this deck is playback-only.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score.I do enjoy these machines.Just watching the tape run through the amusement park of wheels.

I have one similar to that model.

Yes they are boat anchors.Just watch your back and wear steel toe boots.

I had one when the rubber roller was slipping on the ring.I pulled a good one out of a dead unit and got it running.Another one.The off center wheel was slipping and I found a replacement for it.This was years ago.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Nice score.I do enjoy these machines.Just watching the tape run through the amusement park of wheels.

I have one similar to that model.

Yes they are boat anchors.Just watch your back and wear steel toe boots.
Duly noted. If I see another one for cheap or free I'm bringing it home on my rather compact but sturdy dolly.

It is very interesting. I like unusual tape formats so this is a new favorite for video. I'm not bothered by the lack of a tuner and timer, I like minimalist designs in most things. I would like one that records though.
Audiokarma
Old 11-27-2015, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have several Umatic recorders here.Sony,Panasonic and JVC .I used to use them to backup the VHS copy of TV specials ,concerts and home videos,etc .I used too run them side by side recording.At that time I had a endless supply of new blank tapes or used once tapes from a friend in the broadcasting biz.The SVHS and the DVD recorders took over that job in the later years.That eliminated the spaghetti mess of patch cords.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Nice score! It looks like a stripped down version of my Sony VO-1600 Umatic.

The power cord for that is an obsolete computer cord (IIRC IBM or some such)... I have about three of those cords, and 5 machines that use them....I wish I could find more.

If you need a tape with video on it I could probably send you one.
You can find more line cords at thrift shops,Ham radio fests,Tag sales ,Fleamarkets and for free at the curb from old computer towers or computer CRT monitors.I see plenty CRT monitors here by the curb with the cords still with them.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
You can find more line cords at thrift shops,Ham radio fests,Tag sales ,Fleamarkets and for free at the curb from old computer towers or computer CRT monitors.I see plenty CRT monitors here by the curb with the cords still with them.
The style on that Umatic was abandoned in new products in the 70's or early 80's. I've never seen a computer old enough to use those cords (even mid 80's Apple and OLD 80's PC stuff).

Even Skycraft Surplus in Orlando (which has a LOT of old hard to find cords and connectors) had a hard time scrounging one of those cords.....And that was around a decade ago.

Fleas and hamfests may have them, but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to curb a computer old enough to have one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic used that same connector in the day...early 80's. Mine came from a 13" color monitor that looked like a plastic cabinet home set minus the entire tuner assembly. Consumer set sold as broadcast.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The style on that Umatic was abandoned in new products in the 70's or early 80's. I've never seen a computer old enough to use those cords (even mid 80's Apple and OLD 80's PC stuff).

Even Skycraft Surplus in Orlando (which has a LOT of old hard to find cords and connectors) had a hard time scrounging one of those cords.....And that was around a decade ago.

Fleas and hamfests may have them, but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to curb a computer old enough to have one.
Yes They are getting hard to find.I agree about finding cords still attach at the curb.The idiot copper thieves will take them along with the yokes.
Audiokarma
Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a great find. I am really enjoying this forum, and the finds people have made.

I feel you on walking and riding buses with stuff like this, everyone looks. You also meet some interesting people this way. I walked about a mile through Staunton VA one time with a load of commodore 64 stuff and met a guy that used to compose music on the C64. He had lots of great stories and more C64 stuff! Which meant more trips across town.

I'll never know why people say "nerds are week" obviously they have never been on such a journey, or mounted a server on the top rack.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh yeah, I got distracted.

you may be able to file down a standard PC power cord, or try a three prong from a laptop charger. As long as that center pin is ground and of course you make sure nothing touches. Not the best option, but should work good enough for testing.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86
That is a great find. I am really enjoying this forum, and the finds people have made.
Well its excellent having you here...... WELCOME TO THE SITE!!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86 View Post

I feel you on walking and riding buses with stuff like this, everyone looks. You also meet some interesting people this way. I walked about a mile through Staunton VA one time with a load of commodore 64 stuff and met a guy that used to compose music on the C64. He had lots of great stories and more C64 stuff! Which meant more trips across town.

I'll never know why people say "nerds are week" obviously they have never been on such a journey, or mounted a server on the top rack.
Oh yeah, most people just wanted to know what it is. One lady, used to carrying her kid as she explained, offered to help me carry it the supermarket I was headed for one the way home. I politely declined, it would have been an awkward load for two. She thought it was worth quite a bit after I told her it is the first video cassette format. Of course I said I got it for free. Once there I plopped it on top of a small grocery cart, conveniently left at the end of a path close to the street.

The young guy I got it from jokingly said he thought I was crazy for taking it home on buses. I thought his estimation of its weight was off because he was not used to carrying such things, but nope, he was about spot-on.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86 View Post
I feel you on walking and riding buses with stuff like this
Indeed! We never had a car when I was growing up, so my family members and I brought a lot of interesting things onto Chicago's El trains and buses. Sometimes, that was half the fun, anticipating the looks from people when you got on the bus/train.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma