Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just got a used interlock power cord. It is serviceable, but a little stiff. Is there any way to "rejuvenate" the vinyl or plastic coating to make it a bit more pliable?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:20 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
I just got a used interlock power cord. It is serviceable, but a little stiff. Is there any way to "rejuvenate" the vinyl or plastic coating to make it a bit more pliable?
If you need to get the cord's ears over the rivets, soak it in boiling water.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you need to get the cord's ears over the rivets, soak it in boiling water.
Great idea! Anything to make the rest of the cord more pliable?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I started pulling the cans from the chassis to prep them for re-stuffing. My E-Caps will be in on Thursday. It'll take me a few days to re-stuff them and get them back into the chassis. By then the HV caps will be in and I'll turn my attention to the HV section.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

The rest of my orders came in so I'm tackling the filter E-Caps and the high voltage sections which consist of the HV cage and the HV board underneath the chassis.

I first did the HV Cage then followed by the HV board. I still have to install the HV board. I'll install the HV cage just before I power it up. With it off it makes working on the chassis a lot easier.

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 12-07-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced the the 6 HV caps and resistors in the HV cage and the HV board. I also replaced the filter E-Caps in the power supply.

I have a raster! All of the picture controls does affect the picture to a degree. My HV is about 3500v but my B+ is only about 228V when it should be 310V. I'm guessing that as I replace more of the E-Caps and paper caps the B+ voltage should come up and with that my HV should be up too.

I was playing a VHS tape through my tape player. I also noticed I didn't get any sound.

Anyway we have a good start! I also shot a very short video of the picture.

https://youtu.be/6LiHqtkO7PM

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 12-07-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good! Constant progress and that is a good thing. Congratulations.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does this set have seleniums, if so there could be one going bad as I had low b++ in one of my 7 inch sets because of a bad selenium rectifier. I replaced the 2 with 1n4007 diodes and cured the voltage problem. I had noticed one selenium was much hotter then the other so befor it shorted and and smelled up my house I changed them. Could be power supply caps too but I see your going over the whole chassis so I'm sure you will find the culprit. Does that set have an adjustable ring on the hv rectifier tube, if it has one that will affect the hv output.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Does this set have seleniums, if so there could be one going bad as I had low b++ in one of my 7 inch sets because of a bad selenium rectifier. I replaced the 2 with 1n4007 diodes and cured the voltage problem. I had noticed one selenium was much hotter then the other so befor it shorted and and smelled up my house I changed them. Could be power supply caps too but I see your going over the whole chassis so I'm sure you will find the culprit. Does that set have an adjustable ring on the hv rectifier tube, if it has one that will affect the hv output.
Tim, this one has seleniums and I actually mentioned this to him in a post on another forum. I know he was intending to swap them out with diodes but don't know if he did yet. Personally, when I see seleniums soldered in place I get like the Lost In Space robot: "danger danger, Will Robinson!!"

This won't be difficult to scope out. Only real potential problem would be if a deflection plate in the CRT was bent or damaged and I think that's highly unlikely. Gotta be a vintage or capacitance issue, both easily remedied.

I'm happy he's got HV. This'll come together nicely with relatively short effort.

George
Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 PM
M is for Memory

I run seleniums in my restored sets (radios more so than TVs). If B+ is good after a FULL recap, the seleniums run cool, the set has not been exposed to a corrosive/outdoor environment, and it is not a set I plan to use heavily then I just leave the seleniums in. Not all of them are ticking time bombs...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced a bunch of caps and resistors today. I have an image now but it is very wavy. More caps tomorrow and I'll look at the selenium's too. BTW the B+ voltage rose from 228V to 251V. At least it's in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/kSXk_JTiJQQ

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 12-07-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

This reminds me that I need a TV pattern genterator or one of those DVD's/videos. I have a vhs and a DVD player. Do I DL a test pattern the make a DVD, then have hte DVD palyer paly into the VHS player which "talks" to the tv?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats improvement Crist, when you complete the caps definitely do the two selenium rectifiers. At the absolute least you'll know that you will have full voltage coming forward from the rectifiers and they are going to be stable and safe. Then address video & sweep issues as they may appear!

-George-
Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

George,
Right!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I finished replacing the paper caps. All the E-Caps have been replaced. When a resistor and capacitor share the same point, the resistor got changed too.

B+ is still too low. Selenium's are next to get replaced.

Getting closer.

https://youtu.be/CzThLSIsM9Q

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 12-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Audiokarma