Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 AM
M is for Memory

Well this is annoying...

It seems the file names of the photos still exist in the dead embedded images in the posts....I think I can go back to my old posts and use that to replace the images with the same ones re-hosted on Flickr.

As soon as that is done I'm going to delete everything from my bucket, upload a pic with text explaining my move to flickr, disdain for photobucket, and recommendation that nobody give photobucket further business, and walk away.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Got the email from them the other day...
"WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING"

Uh, yeah. What other purpose is there for Photobucket, and the right-click copy of image url-paste function you nave provided all these years? Like I got caught doing something wrong.

Anyway with over 1000 images linked on forums since 2003, if anyone comes across one in one of my posts they want to see, I can post or send to them. I have every one I ever uploaded. Years ago this event crossed my mind and anything "important" like a schematic etc I uploaded to the particular forum's server so it wouldn't go away.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Got the email from them the other day...
"WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING"

Uh, yeah. What other purpose is there for Photobucket, and the right-click copy of image url-paste function you nave provided all these years? Like I got caught doing something wrong.

Anyway with over 1000 images linked on forums since 2003, if anyone comes across one in one of my posts they want to see, I can post or send to them. I have every one I ever uploaded. Years ago this event crossed my mind and anything "important" like a schematic etc I uploaded to the particular forum's server so it wouldn't go away.
I got the same email too.Sooner or later the other hosts will catch up and pull the same thing.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Administrator

This is one reason I have kept my Site active, i can upload whatever I like and it's no where near $400 a year.

At some point it will go away too, old age, death or whatever will cause me to give it up.
The Internet isn't permanent, how many bookmarks from 10 years ago still work?

The best way to insure pictures stay with there threads is to upload them to the Forum they are in, I know there are limitations but that too is caused by financial considerations.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I got the same email too.Sooner or later the other hosts will catch up and pull the same thing.
More like become overburdened and collapse the same way....

There is a sustainable business model in hosting images that are supported by advertisements.....However when the images stop getting traffic they go from sustaining themselves and or profit, to costing the host money...After some time if the number of 'archival images' builds and server cost comes close to the money made off the ones being visited, the company gets into an interesting spot...Either delete older forgotten images (which will piss off users), charge money to users which drives away a lot of clients that expect free hosting, put in some tantalizing pay feature(s), or try to get more users that have content that gets more views of adds.
...It is sort of like running a library or video rental service...If you don't have enough fresh material and you don't round file enough of the dated and or uninteresting stuff your doomed to fail.

The question with the other services is if they are combating the archival overload/profit issue properly. Also worth consideration, Photobucket was used by ebay and amazon sellers presumably in ways that prevented external links from connecting back to the bucket to draw people to the ads, (there were probably large unlinked accounts that were not drawing any add revenue too), if the other hosts don't have ways to counter these things, then the question of which host is next to die (or get greedy which ~= death) may come down to where the less profitable photobucket users go to now, and the relative existent profitable accounts VS not profitable accounts burdens of the alternative sites.

I think I'm going to keep posting my flickr pics scaled down to the moderate size I've been using...Big enough that one in a hurry can skim and be satisfied, small enough that the interested/curious will click to see it bigger and see ads that help flickr live.

I think it is safe to say that if we see a site ramp up it's adds heavily that will be the free stuff circling the bowl...

Audiokarma
Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
The best way to insure pictures stay with there threads is to upload them to the Forum they are in, I know there are limitations but that too is caused by financial considerations.
There is a yes and no to that depending on site. Some users simply post more pics than the forum allows them to store, then they either move on to a new host or delete old stuff to make room (I've seen both here).