Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old thread, but this is a cool idea. I remember a news story a year or two ago from, I think, the Pac NW, where a guy did the same thing. He started with a paper clip and bartered it around the office. Eventually, after a few weeks of buying and selling, he had, IIRC, $40K, and bought himself a foreclosed house. No lie.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ah yes, here it is. Kyle McDonald, 2005, and he blogged the whole thing.

http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

It's also on Wikipedia, with the entire timeline and list of items.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

Paperclip, doorknob, camp stove, generator, on and on. Took him about a year before he traded for a house.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I'm doing something that I've always wanted to do, and I decided to start with a $10 bill, just because that's what it cost me to play "the game"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson View Post
Looks like theres a Buick Roadmaster buried under there!
Quote:
That said, I'm at $100 plus this Bolens, a working chain saw, and 6 other saws all for a $15 investment. Not bad.
Okay, so I didn't see this thread before. Love the idea.... have a few questions / comments.......

1) The title "The great Kamakiri $10 experiment". Does that mean "the great Kamakiri", or "the great ..... experiment"?

2) How does starting with $10 equate to a $15 investment?

3) That is indeed a Buick under those chainsaws. 55 or 56 I'm guessing. I've never seen a chainsaw table like that before.

4) Love the Bolens with that snowblower attachment on the front! My fantasies are kicking in.....restored I could use a beast like that !!!

5) There aren't any recent updates on the thread. I'm hoping that doesn't mean the experiment fizzled. Do tell......

Console, chairside and table top radios. Test equipment , tubes, and a couple TV's. Oh, and tube/SS audio equipment.... lots and lots of audio equipment.....
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
My guess.....By now, he is trying to move a Boeing 747-SP200 from that original $10

yeah sorry.....I finally used one of those dreadful banana things
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kam eventually had enough money for a mail-order bride. They took the Buick on their honeymoon.

Or something like that...sometimes I get the facts a little mixed up!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Kam eventually had enough money for a mail-order bride. They took the Buick on their honeymoon.

Or something like that...sometimes I get the facts a little mixed up!
haw!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Administrator

To answer your questions :

1) The title "The great Kamakiri $10 experiment". Does that mean "the great Kamakiri", or "the great ..... experiment"?

Musta been great experiment, Kamakiri's just a working stiff

C'mon, dammit, let me have my coffee before giving me any complicated math questions :P

3) That is indeed a Buick under those chainsaws. 55 or 56 I'm guessing. I've never seen a chainsaw table like that before.

Well, I didn't think I'd do much damage to the finish, as being in a valley in New Mexico for over 30 years didn't do it any favors. Be warned, asking about my '55 Buick Century can get lotsa pictures tossed at you

But here's one:

4) Love the Bolens with that snowblower attachment on the front! My fantasies are kicking in.....restored I could use a beast like that !!!

Ended up getting $150 for it I think, people drove all way way from Philly to pick it up. Toothless weirdos, but who am I to judge.....

5) There aren't any recent updates on the thread. I'm hoping that doesn't mean the experiment fizzled. Do tell......

It basically did what most of these things do.....as I recall, by the time I got to $300, I had to use it to pay a bill......
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
To answer your questions :

Musta been great experiment, Kamakiri's just a working stiff

C'mon, dammit, let me have my coffee before giving me any complicated math questions :P

Well, I didn't think I'd do much damage to the finish, as being in a valley in New Mexico for over 30 years didn't do it any favors. Be warned, asking about my '55 Buick Century can get lotsa pictures tossed at you

Ended up getting $150 for it I think, people drove all way way from Philly to pick it up. Toothless weirdos, but who am I to judge.....

It basically did what most of these things do.....as I recall, by the time I got to $300, I had to use it to pay a bill......
1) Well I figured as much. OTOH "The Great Kamakiri" has a ring to it. Sounds like a magician...

2)

3) Doesn't look like something did that windshield any favors.

I'm a picture hound. Bring 'em on.

4) Toothless weirdos that don't have to shovel snow...

5) Ugh.... bills....
Console, chairside and table top radios. Test equipment , tubes, and a couple TV's. Oh, and tube/SS audio equipment.... lots and lots of audio equipment.....