Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 AM
secretplayer

Red face Old Philco Radio needs to be ID'd for Newbies

We are newbies to this forum and radios.

We inherted an old tube radio we want to restore / improve.

Can't find a match to appearance on the web links found so far. Maybe you all will help us.

Lable inside only says Model 18.

Pics of radio attached.

Philco Radio.07.08.sml.closed.JPG

Philco Radio.07.08.sml.open.JPG

We want it fixed, inrush added, and are thinking about a real good speaker for now (Altec duplex from around 40's 50's). Ohms? Will it work? Existing looks like high voltage and cone is ripped / dry rotted.

Also - tell us about refinishing, repair, or leave the cabinet alone.

Thanks -

secretplayer
Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi SecretPlayer;

What you have there is an Early Version of the Philco Model 18H Highboy. I have the Model 118 which is pretty much the same chassis, but is a tombstone (table top) model. I wouldn't consider changing the speaker. If it's damaged have it repaired or reconed. I would also not consider doing anything to/with the cabinet unless it has some real serious issues that are not evident in your pictures. I think it looks pretty darned good for a 74 year old radio.

I tend to be a purist and would rather have a radio that is not in "perfect" condition but is authentic and original. There are always those cases where you can't maintain a strickly original unit, and the electronic elements (capacitors, etc.) must be replaced with modern equivalents for safety if the set is to be used on a regular basis.

Overall it looks like you've got a beautiful set that is quite well preserved and if it belonged to me I'd do a complete electronic restoration, but as for the rest of it.....I'd keep it exactly as it is now.

Good luck with it.
Bob.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Secretplayer,

Your radio dates from the 1933-34 period. It appears to be in very nice original condition. I agree with Ampico-kid, I too am a purist and would urge you to not change the speaker. You would likely have to make modifications in the circuit and it would ruin the originality of the set. You can have it reconed and restore the speaker. You are not going to get hi-fi sound from this unit if you install a newer speaker. It is better to restore the old components rather than modifying. This radio can be easily repaired/restored and can play like it did when it was new.

The cabinet looks to be in good condition. I would polish it and not have it refinished. There appears to be some wear around the knobs on the panel but that is OK, it is part of the character of the radio. Overall a very nice, collectible set that can be kept in its original condition but made functional once again.

Gilbert
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Audiophool

I have the original Philco service bulletin that covers the model 18, and I'll scan it when I get a chance. It will be posted here when I do: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Philco.html
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Secretplayer, I think your Philco is a Model 18D; the 18H didn't have double doors...at least, according to my research information. In addition, they are called 'lowboys' even with the tall, six-leg cabinet. Don't know enough about Philco to answer why.

I do know the advice you've received concerning NOT restoring the cabinet and/or swapping the speaker is solid. The radio is far more valuable in even average cosmetic condition (yours is better than that) that stripped and refinished. Same as any antique.

The cathedral version (18B) rates a much higher price than the console....hmmm..wonder why that is? Both use 8-tubes with BC and SW bands. At any rate, that's a $200.00+ radio now, and sure to go up.
Home desk: Zenith X338 / H272W Circle of Sound
Truck: Kraco Dust-O-Matic, circa 1977
Audiokarma
Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM
secretplayer

Updated image match

Found a direct match for the cabinet (different model) but the chassis is different.

Ours does say 18 (chassis?)

http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco91d_main.html

Local repair shop in Stillwater MN. may be approached to bring it back to original.

Any other suggestions before we cart it to them?

secretplayer
Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM
AK Member

The Philco 18 came in a lot of different cabinet styles, I have the 18X Console with the slanted speaker board. I actually have 2 of these consoles, one of them I've had since 1960 when I was 10 years old. It was put in my Dad's old barn when I left for college and stayed there until 1993 when Dad passed away and we were settling his estate. It's in pretty sad shape but I couldn't bear to trash it. I found another 18X via ebay and as luck would have it it was only about 65 miles away, near enough to pick it up and not have to pay any shipping.

The model 18 is a real nice performing set, very sensitive and really great audio. The audio stages consist of a push pull pair of type 42 tubes in triode configuration that are driven by a single type 42 through a driver transformer. The set has a TRF stage ahead of the mixer that gives it extra gain and selectivity.

Philco's of this vintage can be a challenge to restore due to their use of bakelite block capacitors. If one is starting out to restore one of these sets it's absolutely necessary to have the service manual, you'll need to figure out what capacitors are contained in each of the bakelite blocks, some of them have one capacitor and others will have two and they are potted in tar.

Here's one of the best resource's I've found for Philco restoration.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/index.htm

There's also pictures of several of the different model 18 cabinet styles

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933d.htm

I totally agree about leaving the original finish on the cabinet, your set is a nice original and IMHO should be preserved.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

I agree with Randy about those Bakelite-block capacitors. I own a chair-side that uses pretty much the same chassis, from the estate of a founding member of the local antique radio club, no less. I ended up selling my 116X before I ever got around to un-stuffing those blocks. I suspect the restorer may charge a bit (a lot?) more to re-stuff those, he may suggest cutting the wires that come through the rivets and install the replacements on the terminals alongside the existing wiring. He may also opt to just install plain terminal strips instead.
The canned electrolytics may also pose this problem. You will have to choose between re-stuffing the cans or adding a few terminals and hanging modern tubulars wherever good practice allows when a multi-section is encountered. Single-section cans are easy, once you get the old innards out...