Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

Found an early 1950s Zenith AM/FM Clock Radio at Goodwill today!

Hello everyone today I found an early 1950s vintage Zenith AM/FM Clock Radio Model J733 at Goodwill where I work for $6 and some change after I used my loyalty dollars on it (it was originally $20.) Anyways it still works without humming and everything the only thing that doesn't work is the clock mechanism which contains a Telechron movement and I happen to have a spare Telechron rotor laying around that still works that I can install in it to make it work again. Anyways I'm planning on using it as my primary alarm clock to get me up for work, because its just so cool. Also the bakelite cabinet is crack free but does need a good polishing, any suggestions as to what to use to polish the cabinet with?
Pictures of the unit posted below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2893.jpg (101.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2894.jpg (59.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM
M is for Memory

I've got the all blue version of that and have been using it as my morning alarm for several months.

The only thing that annoys me is that it's FM tuning drifts for ~20min after warmup, and the only strong stations (which it won't drift out of tune on) that play good music have gone over to Christmas stuff for the season, and as much as a bit of festive music is nice, if I had to wake up every morning to it I'd be found hanging from the ceiling fan one morning or my radio would get destroyed...

If this model had AFC that feature would be worth it's weight in gold to me.

I've considered AM, but I don't want to wake to talk, and I suspect the one music station is too weak to survive drift...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

The only thing that annoys me is that it's FM tuning drifts for ~20min after warmup.....
I too have one of these "bugeye" Zeniths.

Replace the ceramics in the oscillator and FM Converter section with NP0(C0G)ceramic discs for lower drift. Surprisingly, silver micas fail to prevent the drift....

IIRC, it was hard finding all the pF values at one vendor..
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've got the all blue version of that and have been using it as my morning alarm for several months.

The only thing that annoys me is that it's FM tuning drifts for ~20min after warmup, and the only strong stations (which it won't drift out of tune on) that play good music have gone over to Christmas stuff for the season, and as much as a bit of festive music is nice, if I had to wake up every morning to it I'd be found hanging from the ceiling fan one morning or my radio would get destroyed...

If this model had AFC that feature would be worth it's weight in gold to me.

I've considered AM, but I don't want to wake to talk, and I suspect the one music station is too weak to survive drift...
Compare the circuitry in the newer seven tube Zenith AM-FM radios that have AFC. I know the seven tube models have a simpler AFC circuit, than the eight tube models, that have a separate tube for AFC. It's worth a look.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:03 PM
M is for Memory

I was thinking about 'borrowing' an AFC circuit for another model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I too have one of these "bugeye" Zeniths.

Replace the ceramics in the oscillator and FM Converter section with NP0(C0G)ceramic discs for lower drift. Surprisingly, silver micas fail to prevent the drift....

IIRC, it was hard finding all the pF values at one vendor..
Interesting I may have to try that.

ATM my radio is way at the bottom of a massive list of projects....I may mod it in time for next year's Christmas music switch though.

Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I was thinking about 'borrowing' an AFC circuit for another model.

Interesting I may have to try that.

ATM my radio is way at the bottom of a massive list of projects....I may mod it in time for next year's Christmas music switch though.
Christmas music from November 1st! The day after Thanksgiving day was early enough.
The stations and their Arbitron ratings. Many times around the first of the new year there is a format change. I hope, it's a change for the better!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:35 PM
M is for Memory

The question is if they will move towards the TOC or towards the same modern crap they've been moving towards (some of it was decent, but a LOT just ain't my thing)....One thing I wish they would do is can their morning hosts...About a week in to using them I renamed their "Murphy & Meg in the morning" music+idiots chatting show to "Murphy and Meg are ANNOYING"....It seems like there is more yaking then music.

it occurs to me there is a big alarm controlled power outlet on the back...Maybe I should just set it to run a audio player of some format so I can program my own wake up music.

Last edited by Electronic M; 12-20-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like 95.7 is sitting on top of the heap... I would not expect major changes.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb043

The shift over time is likely to be toward newer tunes, to stay centered in whatever their target demographic is.

jr
Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Banned

How did this thread go from talking about a 1950s Zenith Clock radio to discussion about radio stations and what they do and do not air?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
How did this thread go from talking about a 1950s Zenith Clock radio to discussion about radio stations and what they do and do not air?
That's the way many of the threads work out around here.
It's been a little dry, regarding new topics. It's a good thing that there is a few members that are sharing their experiences with their projects.
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
That's the way many of the threads work out around here.
It's been a little dry, regarding new topics. It's a good thing that there is a few members that are sharing their experiences with their projects.
Well I'm having a bit of a problem with my Ol' Zenith it seems that (and I already mentioned this when I initially posted this thread) my radio's clock mechanism isn't working, tried swapping out the rotor thinking that maybe the original rotor may have seized up over the years (which is quite common for old Telechron movements) but even my known good telechron rotor didn't work on this clock and the transformer for powering up the rotor is still good as I can still hear it humming away when its plugged in, the only other thing I can think of is that the movement itself is seized up and that it needs to be oiled up but the clock is a pain in the butt to get apart because you have to actually remove the whole radio chassis itself out of the cabinet in order to get access to the clock movement and I already had it apart once tonight and I don't want to take it apart again right now, (at least not tonight) anyways do you have any ideas as to what could be wrong with the clock mechanism on my radio? Like I said the radio part works flawlessly yet, its the clock part I'm having issues with.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well I'm having a bit of a problem with my Ol' Zenith it seems that (and I already mentioned this when I initially posted this thread) my radio's clock mechanism isn't working, tried swapping out the rotor thinking that maybe the original rotor may have seized up over the years (which is quite common for old Telechron movements) but even my known good telechron rotor didn't work on this clock and the transformer for powering up the rotor is still good as I can still hear it humming away when its plugged in, the only other thing I can think of is that the movement itself is seized up and that it needs to be oiled up but the clock is a pain in the butt to get apart because you have to actually remove the whole radio chassis itself out of the cabinet in order to get access to the clock movement and I already had it apart once tonight and I don't want to take it apart again right now, (at least not tonight) anyways do you have any ideas as to what could be wrong with the clock mechanism on my radio? Like I said the radio part works flawlessly yet, its the clock part I'm having issues with.
Try turning the time-set knob. If it's real hard to turn, the clock movement is all gummed up.
The coil and laminations are known as the "field". Remove the field and rotor assembly and see if the pinion gear is turning. The output speed is 3.6 RPM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Try turning the time-set knob. If it's real hard to turn, the clock movement is all gummed up.
The coil and laminations are known as the "field". Remove the field and rotor assembly and see if the pinion gear is turning. The output speed is 3.6 RPM.
I was finally able to get the clock to work, it turned out it was a bad rotor after all and the known good rotor I had wasn't installed correctly which is why it wasn't working with the known good rotor installed. Now I have a new problem, broken tuning string going from the tuning knob to the main tuning capacitor pulley, I replaced the original tuning string with a new one, but now I can't get the tuning knob to turn the tuning capacitor pulley, which would in turn rotate the pointer pulley, and I've tried stringing it every which way possible from what I remember it being strung up but no dice, what it does is that it will turn it toward the lower end of the tuning dial but it won't tune it toward the top of the dial because the tuning knob pulley just keeps rotating continuously within the tuning string and not actually turn the tuning string, and I don't have access to the service manual for this radio so I can see the stringing diagram for the tuner on this radio. It acts almost as if there isn't enough tension on the tuning knob but if I wrapped the tuning string anymore times around the tuning knob pulley I wouldn't have enough string to go around the tuning capacitor pulley, and its already wrapped around the tuning knob 4 times already (and 4 times is usually the maximum amount of times that I've seen tuning string wrapped around tuning knob pulleys on these old radios, because usually 3 times is the norm.)

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-21-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Banned

UPDATE: finally got the tuner fixed, apparently 5 was the magic number as far as the number of times I had to go around the tuning knob pulley before going back to the main tuning capacitor pulley, which is odd because I've never seen a tuner stringing that required you to go around the tuning knob 5 times before. anyways, when I got the radio put back together I tested it out and the tuner was drifting really badly and also it would barely pick up any stations on the FM band except the really strong local stations.
So I took the radio back apart and checked all of the tubes in my tube tester and all of the tubes checked out fine except for a Raytheon 12AU7A tube that was obviously a replacement/substitute for the original 12AT7 tube in the radio, that tube was completely dead (no heater/filament glow whatsoever), so I replaced the tube with a correct 12AT7 tube that was a Telefunken branded tube and then put a new shield over the tube as the shield they had over it previously was just a cardboard tube that was painted silver, and then put the radio back together reattached the built-in antenna and fired up the radio and sure enough it was working perfectly again as far as reception goes, no drifting, and it was picking up more stations than before on the FM dial. Also I saw a date stamp on the radio chassis that dated the radio to 1962 (which I'm not sure if that's correct or not or if maybe the ink smudged just enough to make a 5 look like a 6) but either way it seems that I have this radio up and running again.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Banned

OK so what should I use to replace the old dry-rotted rubber gasket material that went between the clock dial glass and the cabinet? I was thinking of using that rubber tire patch material that comes in 2" strips for patching holes in tires temporarily, but want your guys' opinion as well, as far as what I should use.
Audiokarma