Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the Sony Profeel KX-27PS1 accept RGB via SCART?

Hello all!

My first post right here
I hope I do well!

I am Jonathan from the UK, and I have just purchased an NTSC RGB modded N64. I have been looking at this monitor to use along with my modded N64:

Sony Profeel KX-27PS1 monitor, which you can see here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-Trin.../300617930328y - if you look at the second image / read the description it shows the inputs that the monitor accepts. The problem is I don't know if the SCART input would accept and display the RGB signal from the N64. There is a specific 34 pin multi RGB input, but I have no idea where I would get that kind of lead for the N64 (I guess I would have to make my own?)

If anyone could help me answer the above questions I would be extremely grateful.

If this monitor is not going to work, it would be amazing if someone could point me towards one of the compatible sony PVM monitors instead.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards
Jonathan
Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

You do realize that most N64's don't have RGB out, right? It was never connected internally to the AV connector on them.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
You do realize that most N64's don't have RGB out, right? It was never connected internally to the AV connector on them.
Yes I know that, but this one has been modified.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, just making sure.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Ok, just making sure.
Thanks

I'm not too sure whether I'll get many responses on this. The Sony Profeel KX-27PS1 monitor is from the 1980's !
Audiokarma
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Jonathan-

That Ebay auction is gone, so I cannot see the model you mentioned, but I can tell you a few things about USA-version Profeel monitors:

-In USA, laws require TV screens to be numbered for their image size, versus the CRT size common elsewhere, so that 27xxx is probably a rough equivalent of the KX-2501 Profeel monitor sold in the USA.

-The KX-2501 could accept 15.75 kHz digital RGB signals through a connector (probably the same one you mentioned).

-The KX-2501A (later version) also accepted analog as well as digital ~15 kHz RGB through the same connector.

-Some later Sony sets also accepted ~15 kHz analog and digital RGB, sometimes through a DB25 connector. Models that could do this include the KV-25XBR and one called the XBR Pro.

-The XBR Pro is the same as a PVM-2530 if I remember right, and there was also a PVM-2030 and a PVM-3230 (these are all USA model numbers).

I hope some of that helps.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Jonathan-

That Ebay auction is gone, so I cannot see the model you mentioned, but I can tell you a few things about USA-version Profeel monitors:

-In USA, laws require TV screens to be numbered for their image size, versus the CRT size common elsewhere, so that 27xxx is probably a rough equivalent of the KX-2501 Profeel monitor sold in the USA.

-The KX-2501 could accept 15.75 kHz digital RGB signals through a connector (probably the same one you mentioned).

-The KX-2501A (later version) also accepted analog as well as digital ~15 kHz RGB through the same connector.

-Some later Sony sets also accepted ~15 kHz analog and digital RGB, sometimes through a DB25 connector. Models that could do this include the KV-25XBR and one called the XBR Pro.

-The XBR Pro is the same as a PVM-2530 if I remember right, and there was also a PVM-2030 and a PVM-3230 (these are all USA model numbers).

I hope some of that helps.
Thanks for the info - very informative

If you look at this picture (http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ofeelGroup.jpg) the monitor is the large 27 inch one at the back.

I've been reading around and found out the following info from other posts:

- my tech told me some sets had RGB available only with the "multi-input" while later versions had it as well with the PERI-TV but that it is easy to rewire the latter for RGB...
- I can get a color picture when I connect an RGB source to the SCART input, but it won't lock onto horizontal or vertical sync.
- The KX-20PS1 (at least all the ones that I have seen here in Australia, the French model may be different) has a 34 pin "multi" connector and a SCART connector. I think there is an RGB input on the "multi" connector, but I don't have the pinout. There is an RGB input on the SCART connector, but the pinout differs from the SCART "standard". From memory, the KX-20PS1 expects sync on pin 16, but most SCART TVs and cables have sync on pin 20. I haven't seen one of these monitors in ages so I could have it wrong.
- The profeel has a scart connector on the back but you need to add power 3v at least to pin 8 and a 100 resistor to pin 16 to your scart cable and i use a 3v transformer to power it. it will switch to rgb mode if you do this, otherwise the picture will jump.

It looks like I might have to do some rewiring. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rewire the SCART for RGB? Does the last comment suggest that the TV's SCART socket needs modifying as well as the SCART lead?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Jpmad4it,

See SCART connector wirings and pin operation descriptions below.

All color TVs had SCART by law from 1975 onwards. Only small screen TVs (5") were tolerated to have none.

All SCART connectors have RGB operation. Along with the Fast Switch pin 16 (commutation rapide) subtitles for the deaf were keyed into the main picture.
Later it was used for teletext overlay.

Much later, circa 2000, some suppliers took liberties with the SCART standard to incorporate Y/C inputs and in some cases YUV.

The Sony Profeel KX-27PS1 being a mid-eighties set, its SCART connector is probably strictly in adherence with the norm.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Péritel-02-SVGA.jpg (79.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Péritel-04 - Infocarte Elektor.jpg (110.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png SCART All pins Ident01.PNG (20.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmad4it View Post
Thanks for the info - very informative

If you look at this picture (http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ofeelGroup.jpg) the monitor is the large 27 inch one at the back.

I've been reading around and found out the following info from other posts:

- my tech told me some sets had RGB available only with the "multi-input" while later versions had it as well with the PERI-TV but that it is easy to rewire the latter for RGB...
- I can get a color picture when I connect an RGB source to the SCART input, but it won't lock onto horizontal or vertical sync.
- The KX-20PS1 (at least all the ones that I have seen here in Australia, the French model may be different) has a 34 pin "multi" connector and a SCART connector. I think there is an RGB input on the "multi" connector, but I don't have the pinout. There is an RGB input on the SCART connector, but the pinout differs from the SCART "standard". From memory, the KX-20PS1 expects sync on pin 16, but most SCART TVs and cables have sync on pin 20. I haven't seen one of these monitors in ages so I could have it wrong.
- The profeel has a scart connector on the back but you need to add power 3v at least to pin 8 and a 100 resistor to pin 16 to your scart cable and i use a 3v transformer to power it. it will switch to rgb mode if you do this, otherwise the picture will jump.

It looks like I might have to do some rewiring. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rewire the SCART for RGB? Does the last comment suggest that the TV's SCART socket needs modifying as well as the SCART lead?
What are the set top boxes on all those TV's?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalphen View Post
Hi Jpmad4it,

See SCART connector wirings and pin operation descriptions below.

All color TVs had SCART by law from 1975 onwards. Only small screen TVs (5") were tolerated to have none.

All SCART connectors have RGB operation. Along with the Fast Switch pin 16 (commutation rapide) subtitles for the deaf were keyed into the main picture.
Later it was used for teletext overlay.

Much later, circa 2000, some suppliers took liberties with the SCART standard to incorporate Y/C inputs and in some cases YUV.

The Sony Profeel KX-27PS1 being a mid-eighties set, its SCART connector is probably strictly in adherence with the norm.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Hi jhalphen - I have recently found out that in order to get the KX-27PS1 to switch to RGB mode through the SCART socket, a modification to the SCART lead is required.

Apparently you can get a picture on the monitor, but it won't lock vertically or horizontally. To get this to work you need to add power to pin 8 on the SCART. A 9v battery or transformer can power it. You need to solder the positive wire to pin 8 and the negative wire to pin 17.
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmad4it View Post
If you look at this picture... the monitor is the large 27 inch one at the back.
That is indeed the KX-2501 in the picture, and the mid-size one is the KX-1901. (The picture is from the USA.)

Quote:
What are the set top boxes on all those TV's?
Those are the matching tuners for the Sony Profeel monitors. The first version in the USA, model VTX-1000R, was cable-ready up to channel 36. The later version, VTX-1100R, tuned all the way to cable channel 125. The '1000R included a very nice wedge-shaped remote control; the '1100, a more standard-looking remote control. The one item not shown in that picture is the MLV-1100, which was the matching stereo-TV-sound decoder with built-in amplifier. (The Profeel monitors had stereo amplifiers in them as well.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those "Set top boxes" are cable ready TV tuners with an MTS "MPX" output for an external decoder and 3 composite video inputs, output was through either standard composite video/stereo audio and a 1/8" "control" jack or a special 7 pin din cable with all those signals on it. I don't have access to mine at the moment but I believe the model is VXT-1000. These where component TV's the monitors are just that monitors with a single composite input and a 34 pin IDC connector for Analog/Digital RGB in.

BTW that large monitor in the back is the US version KX-2501/A I know because I had one for many years.
Matt
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ahh so the monitor is just like my Teknika.. Mine has a single composite input too (but it also has a switch to use separated video). Also has a 7-pin DIN, but it's for TTL RGB only, no analog here.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ive been told that this is what I need to do to get RGB mode on the monitor (well at least I think I do from I've interpreted)

Can anyone tell me if this is correct (this is all UK based wiring / voltages etc)?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try putting the composite video from the N64 onto the composite video in pin on the monitor for the sync.

The sync from the modded N64 is composite, and the monitor expects separate v and h sync on the designated pins but should happily sync from the composite in. This was done, as was said before, to accomodate teletext and overlay.

Also, make sure they put 220uf 16V caps on the RGB lines inside the N64 since there is a 5v bias on all three which will harm the input circuitry on the monitor. I have a SNES and N64 both happily running on a KX1901, but the north american version doesn't have a SCART connector, rather a header connector that was a monster to work with.

If this doesn't work, you'll need a sync separator such as an LM1881 which is simple to build up.
Audiokarma