Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

75 Zenith 19" b/w

Here's some pics of that estate sale Zenith b/w. The date stamped on the inside of the back says July 25, 1974. Model F2060W4, I think the F in the model number makes this a 1975 model. 19FB13 chassis, it's an all solid state set built on a metal chassis with plug-in modules, just like the Zenith 25EC/DC color sets. The larger module to the right is the vert/horiz, the one to the left is the video and AGC, the one that plugs in veritically is the sound, and that metal sub chassis next to the power transformer is the video IF. I haven't even yet cleaned the dust out, those pictures show it exactly like it was when I first opened it up. All I had to do it to get the picture on the screen you see was to shake the tuner knob a little and adjust the vert size. It has a 19V tube, so it's a little larger than the standard 19" screen. It needs minor repairs: that metal strip on the front of the cabinet that is coming off, one of the antennas is broken on top, the uhf tuner light is out…

Does anybody else see lots of blue squares with question marks in them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75zen1.jpg (33.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen2.jpg (35.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen4.jpg (83.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen3.jpg (42.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen5.jpg (44.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen6.jpg (48.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Adam; 10-04-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:13 AM
M is for Memory

That is an awesome find! It is nice to see photos of such a rare interesting set.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice catch. Its the last of the great Zenith B&W chassii.
If it wernt for dirty tuners, controls & busted antennas
this set would have been near 100% reliable. They just
never came back once we sold them.

73 Zeno
Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one...with a more conventional knob layout and no channel lights. Otherwise EXACTLY the same--including the VRT tranny.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great catch. My dad could only ever afford black and white sets. Reminds me of better times.
Audiokarma
Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a great find Adam. I'm glad you got it!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

So I got another one of these. This one is a 1974 model with the 19EB13 chassis. It works and produces a great picture (all I did was adjust the vertical size, rotate the yoke a little, and shake the tuner). Some channels still won't work, I'll probably have to clean contacts in the tuner. And I'll clean all the dust and dirt off the chassis. I'm not sure if the auto-off timer is working or not, I hear something, but if it is moving, it's moving slower than it should.

… Now that it's been on for a while I can tell that it does move the slider control down, but it seems unable to actually switch it off.

The antennas were broken (as they almost always seem to be), but what I did was to take apart some antennas that were similar but attached with different brackets, then put those antenna rods in these brackets. It worked, but was not easy to do, there's a spring in there you have to compress while crimping together the piece that holds it in. The new rods are longer, but don't get in the way of anything when the back is on.

pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74zen1.jpg (44.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 74zen2.jpg (68.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 74zen3.jpg (31.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 74zen4.jpg (51.3 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Adam; 11-25-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

And I worked a little on the 75. I removed and straightened out that metal piece on the front. (I still have to finish cleaning it and glue it back on.) This set had just one broken antenna rod. I replaced it with one of the other ones I had using the same process I did with the two on the white set. Unfortunately, it's longer than the original ones. And I only had 3 of the other rods, so I couldn't replace them both. But I'd still rather have the antenna rods uneven than have one broken.

You can see what the antennas look like taken apart in the 2nd pic. And there's a pic of our new cat we got a few weeks ago (she was living in an abandoned house across the street), checking out the 75 Zenith.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75zen10.jpg (62.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen11.jpg (29.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 75zen13.jpg (43.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Adam; 11-25-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Antennas are 1-127 IIRC replacements were only "short" sized.
Used on 12" & 16" B&W hybrids , 17" & 19" CC2 also.
New ones have a plastic tube so they cant hit anything inside
if they break off.

73 Zeno
Old 11-26-2015, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And I worked a little on the 75. I removed and straightened out that metal piece on the front. (I still have to finish cleaning it and glue it back on.) This set had just one broken antenna rod. I replaced it with one of the other ones I had using the same process I did with the two on the white set. Unfortunately, it's longer than the original ones. And I only had 3 of the other rods, so I couldn't replace them both. But I'd still rather have the antenna rods uneven than have one broken.

You can see what the antennas look like taken apart in the 2nd pic. And there's a pic of our new cat we got a few weeks ago (she was living in an abandoned house across the street), checking out the 75 Zenith.
It's great that you rescued the TV and the cat.
Audiokarma
Old 11-26-2015, 02:00 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Good to know you have that 1975 Zenith TV working, even if the VHF antenna rods aren't quite the same length. As long as it works, that's all that matters.

I hope you discharged the CRT in that TV before your cat started nosing around inside it. The aquadag coating on all CRTs is in effect a large capacitor, and can hold a charge for a very long time--weeks, months, even years (!).

BTW: I'd hate to hear of your cat being injured or even killed by that static charge, or by any other cause (Heaven forbid!). I'm sure you would miss her very much if anything like that were to happen to her. I have a 9-year-old mixed-breed cat, Kiki, whom I love very much, and I'd certainly miss her if I lost her for any reason. She doesn't poke around in dangerous places, though, so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

BTW (2): I like your avatar, which shows one of your cats on top of a Zenith SC300 table model TV. That's one nice thing about the old CRT TVs--they were large enough for a cat to climb on top of. I once had a cat that liked to jump on top of my RCA CTC185, but my current cat couldn't do that with the flat panel I have now. She doesn't jump on the stand anyway (though she used to), so I don't worry about the flat set being knocked off and landing almost certainly on the screen.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:18 PM
M is for Memory

Nice cat and nice TV. If you ever decide 2 (monochrome dura-module TVs) is too many I'd be willing to take one off your hands.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good score. I had this same set, and gave it to a thrift store about 20 years ago. This is one those sets I wished I kept; didn't realize how rare it was. If you remember the old 'clapper' tv commercials, this set was in a segment. Which was funny, because the one I found had a bad power switch, which I shorted out. It could have used a clapper.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd like to find antenna rod replacements of the original length, but anything is better than antennas with broken ends..

Don't worry, I never let any cats near any HV…

When I get more time in December, I'll take that timer apart and see if I can figure out why it doesn't work. That's one unit that is so rare I'll probably never be able to find replacement parts for it.

Both these TVs have the best / sharpest picture I've seen on a B&W set.

Last edited by Adam; 11-28-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 AM
M is for Memory

Post the length of the original and spare antenna rods. I have two spares of mismatched length. Maybe one of mine is right for it, and we could trade.

Audiokarma