Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:55 PM
I love old stuff

I own an G.D.R. radio with stereo amplefie, called "Capri".
I don't know if those radio where ever imported to U.S.A
Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
danben

delmonico jvc

I just bought one yesterday, it`s am, fm, mpx, what does mpx mean, its 25 inches wide, has two doors on each end that open up too heard the end speakers, model # FMS-413U, it plays but needs some tuner spray and refinished, the wood cabinet has a scratch in it, 9 inches high, may put in on ebay soon, I was looking for information on them at heres where it lead me, any help, thanks Dan
Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

MPX means multiplex. This is the (analog) FM stereo broadcast system used to this day.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Audiophool

The FMS-413U is in Sams 645-7, which is 1963. Pretty sure I don't have that one...

I have acquired a Zenith MJ-1035 since this thread started, and I'm unhappy to report that it has series heaters and is NOT isolated from the power line! There is a version with 6V tubes, but it is also NOT isolated - it has only a filament transformer. How much more would it have cost to add a plate winding to that transformer? And to think that I ran it with a CD player plugged in... never again!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bavis View Post
The FMS-413U is in Sams 645-7, which is 1963. Pretty sure I don't have that one...

I have acquired a Zenith MJ-1035 since this thread started, and I'm unhappy to report that it has series heaters and is NOT isolated from the power line! There is a version with 6V tubes, but it is also NOT isolated - it has only a filament transformer. How much more would it have cost to add a plate winding to that transformer? And to think that I ran it with a CD player plugged in... never again!
Tom, I also have an MJ-1035 and was thinking of connecting my solid-state Radio Shack SCT-11 cassette deck to it. After reading your reply to this thread, however, I've decided against it for safety reasons. (My MJ-1035 is like yours; series-string tube filaments and an unmistakable warning on the back cover, stating that the chassis is connected directly to one side of the AC line--I don't want to think of what might happen if I were to connect my SS tape deck to it.)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

The external phono inputs on hot-chassis Zeniths I have seen connect the shield of the phono jack to the hot chassis with an isolation capacitor for a measure of safety, however I still would be very careful. There can be enough of a voltage difference between a truly grounded device and the phono jack shield to cause a shock if both were touched. Also there seems to be a lot of hum problems when trying to use the phono input with external equipment.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Organist in Residence

One of my neighbors found this Delmonico-Nivico AM/FM/Phono Consolette on the garbage, it was in great shape and works perfectly. It has 8 tubes total. It has 4 speakers and plays pretty loud, getting 2w per channel from a pair of 50c5 tubes. I wish I had found this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delmonico_html_m711152bc.jpg (10.4 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
:-P Thought I had one of these, too! Just went downstairs to look. The Zenith I have says model X347W on the back. It too is AM/FM stereo (with phono inputs) and a separate 2nd channel speaker. It's a series set, not too high end. Found this one at the dump (imagine that) in very good shape.

EDIT: Is this the one in question?

The radio and speaker look just like the ones I have (no cart though). I did NOT see the MJ1035 number on the back though. Is that a chassis number?
My MJ1035 does show the model number (MJ1035-1), stamped on the back cover. The chassis number is 11J01.

X347W? Hmmm. I've seen pix of those radios here on AK (I think AK member kg4cna, Allen Scofield, has one, as he shows a picture of such in his avatar), but to the best of my knowledge it's not stereo. I saw the pic of yours, however, and it definitely looks like an MJ1035.

The MJ-1035 was one of Zenith's first attempts at designing and marketing an FM stereo radio for home use (the company first introduced it in 1961 and came out with a 12-tube version, the MJ-1035W1, a few years later); for monophonic FM the reception is good in urban to near-suburban areas, but apparently the stereo reception beyond about 15 miles (read far-suburban and beyond) leaves a lot to be desired. I saw a post about the MJ1035 on the Antique Radios site (www.antiqueradios.com) the other day which addressed this problem (if one can call it a problem), but did not mention that it can be worked around by the use of an external FM antenna as opposed to the line-cord antenna. (Even a cheap pair of TV rabbit ears will probably work better in all but fringe areas than the line-cord antenna.) I live some 35 miles east of most Cleveland FM stations and can hear every one of them (in mono) very well on my MJ1035, just using the built-in antenna. Haven't tried the phono inputs yet, though, although at first I was toying with the idea of connecting my solid-state Radio Shack SCT11 tape deck to them....until I recently saw a post from Chad Hauris stating (in paraphrase) that there is a risk of shock if the blocking capacitor fails (in most of these radios in use today the capacitor probably failed years ago), and a grounded device is connected to the jacks.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Last time I was down at Terry's, he was telling me that there was a big row back in the days when FM took off-that lots of mfgers apparently purposely de-sensitised the FM sections on their radios...Why, I don't know.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 AM
danben

There`s My Delmonico Radio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f980_12.jpg (29.4 KB, 31 views)
Audiokarma
Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 AM
danben

THE DELMONICO IS LISTED ON EBAY, ITEM # 200198589632, i`VE DROP THE PRICE TO $27.00. GOING TO GIVE IT ONE MORE DAY AND TAKE IT OFF TOMMORROW AND REFINISH IT AND KEEP IT, TAKE A LOOK GUYS AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK, THANKS DAN
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
danben

Jvc Delmonico Victor Model Fms-413u Tube Radio Rare

Listed On Ebay Item # 200206353584, Check It Out, Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM
AK Member

JVC Delmonico Stereophonic Sound System Model 1125u Multiplex (Same as fdrennen's pictured above)
I just picked one of these up at goodwill. A bit of tuner cleaner and WD40 and she's running just like new.The mechanics on the turntable are classic. Very good sound. And yes, quite loud. I hooked up a Utah AS-2 to the external speaker terminals (which switches all four built in speakers to the right channel and the external speaker becomes the left channel) It really rocks...too funny, I just had to laugh. I love this little guy.

Spec's :
Principle : Superhet with RF-stage; IF-Freq. 455/10700 kHz
Wave bands : Broadcast (BC) and FM.
Details : Changer (Record changer)
Power type and voltage : Alternating Current supply (AC) / 110 - 120 Volt
Loudspeaker/pwr.out : 4 Loudspeakers
Model: 1125U Material Wooden case
Shape : Console, Highboy (legs > 50 %).
Valves / Tubes 11: 12DT8
Notes The Delmonico Model 1125U is an AC Operated 11 Tube AM/FM Receiver with Stereo Amplifier and 4-Speed Automatic Record Changer.
Literature/Schematics Photofact Folder, Howard W. SAMS (Date 9-63, Set 655, Folder

Last edited by Mark Maxwell; 07-28-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: add spec's