Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Radio Disney returns in some areas

Radio Disney has announced a deal with Entercom for distribution of their programming on FM, using HD sub-channels on existing FM stations.

http://www.radioworld.com/digital-ra...tations/339289

Time to get your HD mouse ears on, if you are a RD fan.

jr
Old 03-10-2017, 01:08 PM
M is for Memory

Even when I was a kid I never liked that station...Too modern and plastic.

I did not even realize they folded.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

We had one here, KMKI 620 AM Stereo. Went away a couple years ago. I think the last thing I heard on that station in stereo was Who Let The Dogs Out. Great AM stereo test! Seems like in their waning years they tried AM-HD too for a while but when they did that they had to turn off the C-QUAM AM Stereo. So it went. Now a business and infomercial radio station.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM
<----Zenith C845

There was a Radio Disney station in Cleveland for awhile, but it has since changed callsigns and formats. Now it is WCCR 1260 and is a talk station, with 10kW daytime, 5kW nights. It used to be WIXY, 1260 AM, 5kW full time, and played top-40 hits of the '60s-'70s 24 hours a day. When it switched to Radio Disney it changed calls to WWMK.

The third callsign change, to WCCR, occurred when the station dropped Radio Disney earlier this year (don't hold me to that, as I am not sure when these changes occurred) and adopted its current talk format. The station increased its power output to 10kW days, 5kw nights in its Radio Disney era (again, don't hold me to that; check the station's listing on RadioStationWorld.com or Radio-Locator.com for current information) because of reports of reception difficulties east of Cleveland, especially after local sunset. When I lived in Wickliffe (east suburban Cleveland) as a kid and teenager in the '70s, I heard the station very well, even with 5kW full time. Since I moved here to Fairport Harbor (somewhat outside the Cleveland area) 17 years ago, the 5kW directional (sharply towards Greater Cleveland) nighttime signal would have been far too weak to hear in this area; however, I am not sure of that by a long shot since I don't bother much with AM radio anymore. Most AM stations around here do not consider my area part of Greater Cleveland, which is most likely why their nighttime signals do not reach here very well, if at all.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-11-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Never got into Disney stuff except a couple good movies and TV shows.Never had Radio Disney when I was a kid.They had great top 40 and Casey Kasem's AT40 shows later in my young years.Thank god they relive again as some stations including a local station that runs the show.I probably now rather hear kiddie music then those BS talk shows and sports formats on AM radio.
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2017, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Disney is DRECK!!! Walt Disney would be furious of what his vision has become. Friends don't let friends watch/listen Disney EVER!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
Disney is DRECK!!! Walt Disney would be furious of what his vision has become. Friends don't let friends watch/listen Disney EVER!!!
That may well explain why the Radio Disney format petered out the way it did, and why most former RD stations are now talk or sports. However, I have to wonder ever since I read here about Radio Disney's possible comeback on HD radio. I'm sure Cleveland's former RD station won't put the format on an HD subchannel; if it did, I would be very surprised. If Radio Disney was even one tenth as popular today as its creators probably thought it was in RD's heyday, the format would still be on the air.

I have no idea how the new Radio Disney will do in the 21st century. If the format can only be listened to online, that is one obstacle right there--unless local stations could offer a downloadable app for phones and tablets, not unlike how some music stations now have such apps to allow online listening. One station in Cleveland advertises its online app as allowing listeners to hear the station "whenever, wherever", not just over the radio. A Radio Disney app would allow the same thing, and would almost certainly save the format from certain extinction.

Only time will tell.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
I looked up Walt Disney on Google. He was only 65 when he died.
Kind of a letdown after all that sucess.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Radio Disney station here was bought by Salem as if they didn't already have enough religious stations in this market.
But I enjoyed listening to Susan Huber on Sunday AM when RD first started up. Her show was a kind of a top 40 oldies show reminiscent of American Top 40.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I didnt ever care for them.........
Audiokarma