Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting pick up at a Recycle Shop

So I was walking around my recycle store and found a bunch of tapes that said "Cartrivision" I asked if they had a player for it and they brought me to 2 big boxes. Bought both of them since it seemed like something my friend would like (He is interested in old old tech, though a lack of space is a problem). I wish I could hook it up, but it has more connections than time lol...One genuinely looks like new old stock.

Anyway, here is some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170315_133312.jpg (45.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20170315_133317.jpg (56.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20170315_133348.jpg (77.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20170315_133417.jpg (78.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM
M is for Memory

Wow.

If you would be interested in selling one of the machines and a couple of tapes let me know. I have a thing for oddball recording formats.

Judging by the mechanisms you have it looks like they were replacement mechs. Most Cartrivision decks were built into large console TVs (there were some standalone decks too) most had a cabinet and standard power and RF/audio/video connectors. Those are probably replacements for the decks in the TV/deck combo consoles.Those decks not having cabinets and the wiring connections they have likely need additional support circuitry that you don't have.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 PM
The Resident Brony

Oh my. Never heard of that format! They look like 8 tracks!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Wow.

If you would be interested in selling one of the machines and a couple of tapes let me know. I have a thing for oddball recording formats.

Judging by the mechanisms you have it looks like they were replacement mechs. Most Cartrivision decks were built into large console TVs (there were some standalone decks too) most had a cabinet and standard power and RF/audio/video connectors. Those are probably replacements for the decks in the TV/deck combo consoles.Those decks not having cabinets and the wiring connections they have likely need additional support circuitry that you don't have.
Sure, I'll see about it..problem is I have no idea on price when it comes to such things heh.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:14 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperneo View Post
Sure, I'll see about it..problem is I have no idea on price when it comes to such things heh.
I've got a range in mind. Give me a shipping quote to zip code 53072, and I'll make an offer based on how much of my range will be eaten by shipping.

Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Be careful. If I recall correctly, the red cartridges were intended for the rental market, and could not be rewound by a home machine. You may need a special rewinder to view those.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubis7 View Post
Be careful. If I recall correctly, the red cartridges were intended for the rental market, and could not be rewound by a home machine. You may need a special rewinder to view those.
I know about that. I figure there can't be too much to the anti-rewind interlock and I can probably make my own rewinder....

Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubis7 View Post
Oh I'm sure someone's figured out how to do it without that by now haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've got a range in mind. Give me a shipping quote to zip code 53072, and I'll make an offer based on how much of my range will be eaten by shipping.
Gimme a few days, I want to see what's happening here first. Problem is the box weighs a ton and it would need to be put into another box as that box won't survive a trip anywhere lol
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Very cool find. Where is your recycle store? Those machines were developed and maybe built here in the San Francisco area, if I remember right. I came close to buying one (an open mechanism just like what you got) as my first VCR decades ago, before I found an affordable Sony Betamax machine.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Very cool find. Where is your recycle store? Those machines were developed and maybe built here in the San Francisco area, if I remember right. I came close to buying one (an open mechanism just like what you got) as my first VCR decades ago, before I found an affordable Sony Betamax machine.
I do most of my recycle shopping at weird stuff and HSC, however their prices are a little high (I'm in the Bay area too) Shopping at anything Goodwill is impossible in the bay area as everything is always picked clean.

Last edited by hyperneo; 03-19-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-20-2017, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Went back today and they handed me this, 4 boxes full of tapes. Some even sealed, new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170320_150322.jpg (58.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I seem to remember a story about most of the cartridges being destroyed due to improper storage at the factory. Is there any truth to that?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I read about that, but honestly don't know. Something about mold.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:05 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Weird Stuff and Halted, yes, fun places to visit, along with the De Anza flea market each month in the spring and summer.

That is a great bunch of early home-video history.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

That format reminds me of the 1970's Panasonic 1/2 inch reel to reel in a cartridge.

Also an odd format is the Sanyo Vcord from the 1970's too.
Audiokarma