Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

All the locations in the Columbus, OH area are closing too.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was in a local Radio Shack yesterday. Everything 30% to 70% off. Still couldn't find anything of interest to temp me.

-Steve D.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:55 PM
"Book em Dano!"

The last time I went to radio shack to purchase something, nobody was at the cash register. The Sprint representitive said I would have to wait a while, maybe up to an hour, since she went to lunch. I said "Can you check me out?" She said "NO". I told her what I thought(the lady behind me ageed) and left. I am NEVER going back again.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
I love old stuff

Let's not forget the smartphone degeneration.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Let's not forget the smartphone degeneration.
That's a good way of putting it.

By the way, in the early 2000s I knew a guy who said Radio Shack used to be staffed by real techies who would really knew their stuff and would likely be tinkering at the counter. Even by that time, if you were to ask a question that was at all technical you would likely get a response like "Uh, I don't know, I just started here".

It's about time that chain, including "The Source" was put out of its misery.
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
I am NEVER going back again.

That won't be such a hard feat. Soon, no one will.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I stopped a couple times in the last week; talked to an employee (probably the manager) who said he's been with them for 27 years! That particular location is half Sprint and since that half isn't going away they don't have a big "going out of business sign", but that's what they're doing. I stopped back today because I needed a relay for a project. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get what I needed, but it was $12.xx marked down to $5.xx. I was planning on buying some DeOxit but the regular price is now $16.99, I think with the mark down it would be about what I paid regular price for my last can!

Like I told the guy, trouble is, I already have pretty much all the parts I need. If I didn't, I'd make them a deal on the parts drawers (heck, I'm sure they'd let you take the whole shebang, cabinet & all, for the right price). Really not much worth looking at, aside from some neat robotics stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was told by the guy who runs the card shop next to RS while I was there last week about a week late after they closed. He said a truck came and pickup what was left in the store and cart it to another RS in the state that is still open.I wonder what was dumped in the dumpster in the back.If I was in the mood .I would go for it. . Oh well I missed out on that and the dumpster probably was gone by then..Technically I'm retired from dumpster diving due to my back and taking a chance getting arrested for trespassing.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I just thought of the Radio Shack commercial that aired during the Superb Owl a couple of years back. I only know about it because a topic was made here. "The 80s called. They want their store back". It occurred to me that if Radio Shack was really stuck in the 80s so to speak, they probably wouldn't be failing.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 AM
I love old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
That's a good way of putting it.

By the way, in the early 2000s I knew a guy who said Radio Shack used to be staffed by real techies who would really knew their stuff and would likely be tinkering at the counter. Even by that time, if you were to ask a question that was at all technical you would likely get a response like "Uh, I don't know, I just started here".

It's about time that chain, including "The Source" was put out of its misery.
Sounds like... Romania. Some big chain stores (not only electronics, I.T., house apliances only) are hiring people for small salaries and some people tend to stay not for very long there, so the result is bad.
Funk, 2 people that sold cassettes (I only spoke to them on the phone, so I don't know old they are, but of the 2 seemed at least 40 years old) didn't even heared of U-Matic. Com'on, you're selling video cassettes and you don't know what U-Matic or Betacam is. Sheesh
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Sounds like... Romania. Some big chain stores (not only electronics, I.T., house apliances only) are hiring people for small salaries and some people tend to stay not for very long there, so the result is bad.
Funk, 2 people that sold cassettes (I only spoke to them on the phone, so I don't know old they are, but of the 2 seemed at least 40 years old) didn't even heared of U-Matic. Com'on, you're selling video cassettes and you don't know what U-Matic or Betacam is. Sheesh
Oh yeah, that's what most jobs here are like, if one can even get one.

Back on topic, come to think of it a branch of "The Source" disappeared from a nearby business park some time ago. I don't know when it disappeared, I found out it was gone when I thought they might have something I actually needed. I got a couple of 75-300 Ohm matching transformers from that store. One is in a junk box and still sealed. I should toss it, I've ran across so many older, better units since then.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhat related perhaps, a Ham Rado Outlet (HRO) store in the bay area has closed...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/2...fter-26-years/

Hope this is not a trend, I would really miss the local HRO store if it was to shutter its doors.

jr
Old 03-31-2017, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Omaha has been hemorrhaging electronic and computer parts stores for years. We used to be one of the best-stocked cities in the area. Only the Goodwill Goodbytes store is left to find used computer parts. No other stores exist. People in the area now rely on Ebay and the internet. Don't blame me: I shopped locally!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
More bad news at the Shack:

https://www.radioshack.com/pages/ban...y-announcement

Perhaps we will see some sales?

jr
Surprised that place is even around still. It's a shell of its former self.

I can remember going into one c. 2000 and being able to order vacuum tubes! Now they only seem to have cell phones and cell phone accessories.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Surprised that place is even around still. It's a shell of its former self.

I can remember going into one c. 2000 and being able to order vacuum tubes! Now they only seem to have cell phones and cell phone accessories.

I've been stopping in my local stores and getting rather good deals on things. Yes, they're a shadow of their former self, but the stores around here still carry discrete electronic component parts. The selection isn't quite what it was in past decades, but at least it is (soon to be was) something.

Despite all the disparaging remarks (some of them deserved) about Radio Shack, I still have fond memories of going to the stores since I was 6 years old. As a kid, I was always begging my mom to take me to Radio Shack because I "needed" more parts for a project. Now, with kids of my own, my oldest (7 yo) has displayed "the knack" for technical things and she has fun tagging along with me to RS. At steep discounts, I've been stocking up on the kids' DIY project kits to build with her.
Audiokarma