Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Florence

Notably reliable/well-aging S-VHS VCRs?

Hi - I would like a Panasonic AG-1980 as much as the next guy, but I'm aware of their numerous age-related electronic problems that are costly to fix.

Are there any particular S-VHS VCRs that are known for being reliable and aging better? Basically one with a better chance of having no issues if you were to buy one from a layman on eBay or wherever? Belt changes would be fine.

4-head and hifi stereo would be preferred, and accessibly of all functions from the front panel, without the remote control, would be nice.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have several Panasonic 7750s that are holding up well, but they're single-speed machines. But "no issues" is a pretty high bar for VHS.

Chip
Old 07-15-2017, 03:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would most certainly put the first generation JVC S-VHS up front.
They're 6-heads, SP/LP, HiFi.

My HR-S5000 is in need of an overhaul (new caps, adjustments/alignments according to the SM) in order to regain the sharp image, but it actually still works, though it's nearly 30 years old.

The loading/ejecting mechanism is beltdriven allright, but that still works.

Only real mechanical issue right now is the idlertire, but I got a new one and as soon as my workbench is up in a matter of weeks, the entire machine will be serviced.

If you find a good machine in pristine cosmetic condition, but is advertised as faulty, like bad HiFi-sound or semi-noisy picture, that is an easy repair. It's just one of the tape guides getting a tiny bit out of alignment, usually the right one.

First generation JVC S-VHS is HR-S5000, 7000, 8000, 9000 and 10000.
Beware that there is a later 1990's HR-S7000 out there with center loading mechanism. The older have their loading mechanisms in the left side.

Service manuals are available.

Make sure packaging is done well.
Good luck
Old 07-22-2017, 04:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPQ5360 View Post
Are there any particular S-VHS VCRs that are known for being reliable and aging better? Basically one with a better chance of having no issues if you were to buy one from a layman on eBay or wherever? Belt changes would be fine.
Toshiba built the longest-lasting S-VHS VCRs, I think, based on my 17 years of VCR repair/restoration service. They rarely have capacitor troubles, so they always have S-VHS video playback and Hi-Fi sound. Better than JVC for reliability.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Mitsubishi and JVC did not last long.They never aged.I do like the Panasonic AG-1980 though.The service manual is avail online for it at Elektrotanya ,www.manualslib.com,https://archive.org.
Audiokarma
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
My Mitsubishi and JVC did not last long.They never aged.I do like the Panasonic AG-1980 though.The service manual is avail online for it at Elektrotanya ,www.manualslib.com,https://archive.org.
Both Mitsubishi and JVC had multiple capacitor problems in power supply and video board. Panasonic was even worse with ALL aluminum SMD caps in S-VHS video and Hi-Fi boards, along with switching power supply problems. Toshiba had none of these.

Last edited by waltchan; 07-27-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Both Mitsubishi and JVC had multiple capacitor problems in power supply and video board. Panasonic was even worse with ALL aluminum SMD caps in S-VHS video and Hi-Fi boards, along with switching power supply problems. Toshiba had none of these.
Thanks for the info waltchan.I'll keep my eyes open for Toshiba SVHS decks.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks for the info waltchan.I'll keep my eyes open for Toshiba SVHS decks.
Toshiba SV-771 ranks #1 by me. Only new belts required. However, S-VHS picture quality may be a little lower than the top S-VHS brands.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-04-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282542415623