Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Get Ready for ATSC 3.0

Could be here within 5 years. Paves the way for UHD 4K programming and theoretically up to 8K if there is interest.

http://hdguru.com/new-broadcast-tv-s...on/#more-15902
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thanks, I will read that.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Not sure how I got here.

So I can watch Father Knows Best in 4K, or 8K with surround 3D Super Dolby .....?!?!

Well better signal quality at 60 miles would be nice..... And a nice
Chinese converter to NTSC for my 1985 TV would make me
adopt ATSC 3.0...... COOL ! !

Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 AM
DTV blows

Another full-scale system transition? I'll wager a lot of broadcast outlets will throw in the towel with that fresh financial burden on their backs so soon after ATSC 1.0.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 AM
Administrator

"In addition to providing TV viewers with a range of new capabilities and features, ATSC 3.0 is being developed to keep over-the-air (OTA) TV broadcasters competitive with wireless companies like AT&T and Verizon"

Not sure how that'll work but it sounds like a good thing.
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Where support appears to be growing is on the station ownership group level, where Pearl, a partnership comprising eight major station groups: Gannett, Hearst, Cox, Scripps, Graham Media, Meredith, Raycom and Media General, is actively involved with others in the system development. Pearl represents TV stations in 43 of the top 50 U.S. markets"

There will be resistance, but it's enevitable. ATSC 3.0 is a "catch up" to streaming and physical storage devices. It will keep broadcast TV competitive. I think it will take longer then 5 years though.

NHK of Japan is working hard to leap frog everyone and roll out 8K television in time for their 2020 Olympics. They already successfully tested and transmitted the 2012 Olympics in London.

Last edited by etype2; 05-20-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

I thought ATSC 3.0 was going to affect everything having to do with TV, not just broadcast. I'm glad I'm not watching broadcast anymore (I have a cable connection, but only because it is part of my service package with Time Warner, and because I can't get local TV on my Roku player without it). In other words, if ATSC 3.0 only applies to broadcast TV, the change, if and when it comes, probably will not affect alternative methods of TV viewing such as streaming video, et al.; in fact, I can't imagine how it would, since streaming video, being distributed over the Internet, has nothing to do with OTA or cable TV.

I still have cable connected to my TV, but I probably could disconnect it altogether and my Roku box would still work as it does now. . . . On second thought, I would probably have ghosts and other distortion of my TV picture if I disconnected the cable, since I would then have one open port on the 2-way splitter behind the TV--which would upset impedances, among other things.

I can see how the new standard will affect TV broadcasting, as it will be an upgrade, if you will, of the current ATSC 1.0 platform, but to eventually put the public through another transition is too much. And the advertising the TV stations would put out (again) about the second transition....I hate to think of it. The CBS station in Cleveland made a huge to-do over the first DTV transition in June 2009, referring to it as "The Big Switch", and running those PSAs every chance they got--during commercial breaks, etc. I got tired of them after the first couple of days.

I shudder to think of what the advertising for the second transition might be like. Seeing how aggressive advertising seems to be these days, however, it wouldn't surprise me if the ads for the second DTV transition are at least as dramatic (if not more so) as the ones for the first switch were.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I am highly skeptical of the whole plan for over-the-air TV, long term. The biggest problem I see is that most people have already got used to paying for TV "service", independent of whether it has commercials or not. Many younger people (maybe even most of them, scarily) are not even aware of the concept of "free TV", I am afraid.

Even now, the mobile-friendly add-on to our existing digital TV system (ATSC M/H) already includes provision for, and approval of, encrypting those mobile-only channels and requiring payment to watch them. (Here, in the San Francisco area, one or more of my TV tuners comes up with some channels with names like ESPN that I cannot receive; I am guessing that there is already some pay-only service on the air or being tested here.)

With so many people already using cell phones or other Internet-connected devices to watch video (and paying for all of it as they do so, of course, and accepting that as reasonable), I have to wonder how any over-the-air broadcasters would have a plan to counteract that with some flashy, multichannel, mobile-friendly service that was only ad-supported. It just seems unlikely.

MUCH more likely, I fear, is the use of ATSC 3.0 to gradually turn the vast majority of the existing over-the-air channels, bands, and stations into mobile-friendly but full-fledged pay-TV systems, in other words, "cable TV without the cable, but at the same prices", more or less. That is my worst possible nightmare for television.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I am highly skeptical of the whole plan for over-the-air TV, long term. The biggest problem I see is that most people have already got used to paying for TV "service", independent of whether it has commercials or not. Many younger people (maybe even most of them, scarily) are not even aware of the concept of "free TV", I am afraid.

Even now, the mobile-friendly add-on to our existing digital TV system (ATSC M/H) already includes provision for, and approval of, encrypting those mobile-only channels and requiring payment to watch them. (Here, in the San Francisco area, one or more of my TV tuners comes up with some channels with names like ESPN that I cannot receive; I am guessing that there is already some pay-only service on the air or being tested here.)

With so many people already using cell phones or other Internet-connected devices to watch video (and paying for all of it as they do so, of course, and accepting that as reasonable), I have to wonder how any over-the-air broadcasters would have a plan to counteract that with some flashy, multichannel, mobile-friendly service that was only ad-supported. It just seems unlikely.

MUCH more likely, I fear, is the use of ATSC 3.0 to gradually turn the vast majority of the existing over-the-air channels, bands, and stations into mobile-friendly but full-fledged pay-TV systems, in other words, "cable TV without the cable, but at the same prices", more or less. That is my worst possible nightmare for television.

I agree - Well Said!

We have a few pay-OTA channels here in the NY market already. ATSC -3
will make reception easier because of mobile friendlier signals, and as
said, the younger generation is already aware of and use to a pay
wall for everything, so OTA will most likely become Cable tv without the cable....

Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

You make very good points. I to, agree that young people barely watch OTA TV. Also many people are cutting the chord (cable) and using streaming services. This trend will likely increase with more streaming services coming on line. Sony and Apple will introduce new services in September. Yet old folks in the retirement communities where I live, still have their old analogue antennas on their roofs.

I fear as you do that we will lose free TV, but we have the 75 year government mandated business model concept of free OTA in place and Congress upheld the concept that "every household should be able to receive free unobstructed television and radio transmissions". (This came about when condo and apartment owners tried to prevent tenants from installing antennas on their balconies)

My Direct TV bill is getting ridiculous and I too, am thinking about severing my subscription after 20 years with Direct TV. I'm anxious to see the Sony and Apple streaming models. 50 to 85 channels for $50. Being an old guy, was skeptical about streaming, but my wife bought me an Apple TV last Christmas and I have to say it is amazingly good. Video as good as Direct TV and better 7.1 sound. UHD is promised as well. I have not used the Netflix 4K service, but understand it's good.

Having said all this, where dose this leave traditional OTA television? They will either have to catch up with improved service, hopefully for free as always or die off.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have any broadcasters even adopted the features available in ATSC 2.0?

The specs for ATSC 3.0 look interesting (OFDM modulation, h.265 codec), but I can't help but wonder why they don't coordinate with other groups (DVB, ISDB, etc.) and move to one worldwide broadcast standard if they plan on breaking backwards compatibility. At least they are finally adopting OFDM like everyone else uses, which might make it easier to build multisystem tuners/TVs. Hopefully this also means the end of interlaced OTA broadcasts too.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I agree on the ATSC 2.0, it's specs also say it's backwards compatible with 1.0.
I had always thought that would be the way to go, show an improvement at no
additional cost, then 3.0 would go down easier, because an improvement
was already shown, in the 2.0 switch. Also reception would improve because of
the OFMD, and the ability of booster transmitters to take care of weak areas....

Yes I thought 2.0 would be implemented first.

I think OTA is going to hold on, after all a lot of cable only channels still advertise
their new shows on ABC, NBC, CBS......etc. Same with AMC, and I few others that
escape me right now.... They know where the big number of viewers are.... Still
the networks..... And look at all the HD Antenna outfits that sprang up after
the '09 digital devolution...... I wonder if there will be an upstart antenna installation
service - kinda like Dish and DirecTV have antenna installers.... In a lot of areas
there is a bit of knowledge to get the right stuff.... And most people ain't gunna
handle it themselves.....

Old 05-23-2015, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

IMHO: OTA may only survive if they can create some form of compelling product.

In my area, the major networks' affiliates monopolize rights to programming for a huge area and yet DO NOT have an off air signal (Seattle WA affiliates, and I'm in Whatcom county, well out of range of their transmitters). Unless they figure on putting up translators (never have), or their viewer installing 75' towers for aerials, it's only a matter of time. Heck the local tv station KVOS was sold to Michael Dell, who shows no interest in tv but rather selling the RF spectrum for wireless data services. He shut down the entire show and feeds it from somewhere in California, leaving the transmitter and a token office in here town. They don't even make any bones about it, they stopped identifying as "Me TV Bellingham" to "Me TV Seattle".
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

ATSC 3.0 front and center at NAB show in Las Vegas April 24 through 27, 2017.

http://atsc.org/news-release/next-ge...2017-nab-show/
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

FCC Approves Next-Gen TV For OTA Broadcasting

http://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/00...casting/282290

In the Phoenix Valley where I live:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/00...atsc-30/282269