Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Tim,

Attached is a simplified schematic of what you are doing - I drew it from memory - if you want a marked up copy of the Sams, I can scan that tomorrow, noon-ish. The Sams is out in my shop, and I am in for the evening.

As you can see, the silicon 1n5408's are simply installed where the selenium was removed - cathode (banded end) to the "+" connection, and anode to the "-" connection. Off of the cathode of the output (rightmost) rectifier, we add in a series resistance. At 39 ohms/5W, you are good for up to about 12V of voltage drop across the resistor. I LOVE those RH-series Dale resistors you've chosen, as they make for easy mounting, and the chassis can sink some of the heat. Some purists want only axial or old ceramic resistors in their sets.

Sams (IIRC) says the B+ should be about 195V for your set.

If the B+ is low, (lower by 5-8 volts or more) add some Parallel resistance to bring it up. I don't think that will be the case, as 17 to 75 ohms is my experience for most series resistors in tube sets.

If the B+ is high, (higher than 5 volts or more) add some Series Resistance. Doing so will not only drop more voltage, it will also decrease the power dissipated by the (each) resistor.

Your "fusistor" is the 4.7 ohm 15 Watt resistor under the chassis in one of your photos.

Hope this helps - I'm up for another hour or so - I have to take my daughter to school in the morning, so an early evening for me.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Audiokarma