Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Service manual or disassembly tips for Realistic 16-108?

I recently got my hands on a Realistic 16-108 that seems to be in great working condition except for a damaged video in jack. At a glance, it looks like the pins on the connector are snapped, and that if I can get at them it shouldn't be too tough of a repair.

That said, I'm pretty new to working on CRTs and entirely new to working on anything this small - so I'm not sure how best to proceed with disassembly! It looks like the vertical "control" board comes out with one screw and the connector at the rear left, but I imagine I will need to get the main board out as well. Photo is attached.

Has anyone worked on one of these, or are there some general tips for how I should approach getting at the main board?

Or - even better - is there a source for a copy of the service manual? From trolling around on the archive.org version of the old Radio Shack support site I was able to dig up a part number of MS1600108 for it, but haven't had any luck finding it.

I know that many of these Portavision models were rebadged OEM models, but I haven't been able to determine if that's the case for this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_15871.jpg (89.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Usually the CRT has to come off. The front panel is often held on with
claws instead of screws. After thats out of the way you can look for screws or claws on the bottom PCB. Once the bottom is off you should be able to
fix most anything.Jacks usually get cold joints & sometimes the etch will lift & break.
You can hang the CRT in to troubleshoot but use cardboard to keep things from touching.

Service manuals are tough on these little sets. If it has an FCC type acceptance
number that may help through FCC.gov

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-30-2021, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the suggestions Zeno!

It looks like you're right - the front panel is held on with claws at the bottom, and it seems like the CRT will lift out with it, giving me good access to the board. That's something I'll save until I have at least a few hours to give this set my undivided attention!

I was a bit surprised to not find an FCC number anywhere on the unit. The bottom case has the general statement of compliance, but no number.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just wanted to follow up to say thanks - those pointers set me in the right direction and I was able to get at the PCB and get the input working again!

The video in jack had gotten pushed in - the pins on it are bent but intact, but the housing pushed up against a resistor and pulled one of the legs right out of the board. One 7 cent part later and I've got a picture.

I haven't put it through it's paces yet, but everything else about this TV seems to be in great condition.

One of the mounting posts on the jack housing is gone, so I'll need to find a way to fix it in place so the same thing doesn't happen again. That'll be tomorrow's quandry I suppose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_16051.jpg (72.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well done RJ
Maybe you can use a few wire ties & make up a strain relief for the cables.

C U Later
Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma