Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

K cars had a very long and also very successful production run, and as pointed out previously they basically saved Chrysler from the dustbin of history. A little more fun to drive than what? A potato? You've apparently never been in a 2.2 or 2.5 turbo with mild tuning done to it, I promise it shits all over that piss poor excuse for a japanese V6 and its impossible to change timing belt. Transmissions? Yeah the 3-sp torqueflite is sorta gay, but once again with a 2.5 turbo attached it most likely shits all over whatever you're currently in.

If you can't tell, I'm tired of people talking shit about my car. And no, I'm not a K-car fanatic. I'm a turbo fanatic. I also have a factory turbo Corvair, wanna fight about it? I'll put my '89 Spirit up against whatever you got, and while it may or may not not win you'll definitely be surprised...
When I was at your place in Waukegan, IL you didn't seem to be that enthused with Mopars. Many times, most conversations turn to cars.
You had shown me the old VW with the FI conversion and the Mini and IIRC, your wife had some kind of a Japanese SUV.
Mopars are still my first choice, but my daily driver is a Prius. I'm not that crazy about leaving that much money at the pump.
Still have my 2000 Dodge Dakota and my 2006 Jeep Wrangler, both bought new.
BTW, Powerglides and Dynaflows are really Gay.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Yeah I realized later on I hadn't really thought that through. The musclecar crowd probably gets the least amount of crap though. On the flip side, I know there are some Lada enthusiasts up here; I can't imagine how many snarky comments they have to deflect.

I certainly agree that Mopars are awesome.
I read about the Lada years ago and I would like to see one up close.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

K cars had a very long and also very successful production run, and as pointed out previously they basically saved Chrysler from the dustbin of history. A little more fun to drive than what? A potato? You've apparently never been in a 2.2 or 2.5 turbo with mild tuning done to it, I promise it shits all over that piss poor excuse for a japanese V6 and its impossible to change timing belt. Transmissions? Yeah the 3-sp torqueflite is sorta gay, but once again with a 2.5 turbo attached it most likely shits all over whatever you're currently in.

If you can't tell, I'm tired of people talking shit about my car. And no, I'm not a K-car fanatic. I'm a turbo fanatic. I also have a factory turbo Corvair, wanna fight about it? I'll put my '89 Spirit up against whatever you got, and while it may or may not not win you'll definitely be surprised...
Fair enough, around here the turbo variant was very rare, so much so that I'm not counting it as part of the normal K car experience. I did know one guy who had a turbo with a 5 speed, and yes, it was a lot better than a normal K car. That car was a real sleeper, and I won't argue that it's pretty cool.

It still had peeling paint, creaky doors, a misaligned instrument cluster, and the other k car defects.

And yes, your 89 spirit would blow the doors off my 86 toyota diesel pickup!

Last edited by maxhifi; 04-12-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I read about the Lada years ago and I would like to see one up close.
LADA cars are interesting, they were sold in Canada until 1997 when they no longer met emission requirements. The NIVA 4x4 is quite capable. Actually owning one may not be the world's best idea, but I too would like a chance to drive one... I've only been a passenger and it was not recently.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:54 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
BTW, Powerglides and Dynaflows are really Gay.
LOL I mean they kinda are. Powerglides apparently are used in drag cars a lot because, well, they're real solid and only two gears. Dynaflows are fascinating... but that's about it.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
LOL I mean they kinda are. Powerglides apparently are used in drag cars a lot because, well, they're real solid and only two gears. Dynaflows are fascinating... but that's about it.
I heard that about the drag cars.
Practically everyone I know had to have the Powerglide transmission repaired once in their time of ownership.
How about the early Mopars with the Powerflites that used the same oil for the transmission as the engine.
The transmission fluid was changed every time the engine oil was changed.
Dynaflows= slush-o-matics.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
How about the early Mopars with the Powerflites that used the same oil for the transmission as the engine. The transmission fluid was changed every time the engine oil was changed.
Better to have a Powerflite than an early Torqueflite from what I read. Apparently the pushbutton gear selector is a real dog to maintain. I read that Keith Gordon from Christine had a lot of trouble with it and the crew had to keep someone on hand to fix it.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
How about the early Mopars with the Powerflites that used the same oil for the transmission as the engine.
The transmission fluid was changed every time the engine oil was changed.
Dynaflows= slush-o-matics.
Back in the days when nobody knew the right way to do a new-fangled 'automatic' transmission. On the bright side, as long as you kept up on your oil changes, your trans fluid would always be fresh!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:54 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Better to have a Powerflite than an early Torqueflite from what I read. Apparently the pushbutton gear selector is a real dog to maintain. I read that Keith Gordon from Christine had a lot of trouble with it and the crew had to keep someone on hand to fix it.
I heard that drag racers that used push-button Powerflites considered the main problem with the pushbutton system to be the placement of the R button too close to the forward gear buttons...If not careful they'd mash it into reverse and mess things up.

In defense of Chrysler's pushbutton mech I've always heard, it was solid and reliable...It was a great step up from the other pushbutton shifter of the time the steering wheel mounted electric selector in the Edsel...Which supposedly liked to short and change gears when turning the wheel...That scares me a hell of a lot more than hitting the wrong button by mistake.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I heard that drag racers that used push-button Powerflites considered the main problem with the pushbutton system to be the placement of the R button too close to the forward gear buttons...If not careful they'd mash it into reverse and mess things up.

In defense of Chrysler's pushbutton mech I've always heard, it was solid and reliable...It was a great step up from the other pushbutton shifter of the time the steering wheel mounted electric selector in the Edsel...Which supposedly liked to short and change gears when turning the wheel...That scares me a hell of a lot more than hitting the wrong button by mistake.
A friend had a '58 Mercury that had a form of a push button transmission.
It had a park position lever that had to slid to the right. IDK, if the neutral button had to be pushed before the park was set. The transmission stayed in drive while the engine was in fast idle. The transmission burned up.
IIRC, the push button selector was outlawed by the government, stating all automatic transmission cars had to be uniform to minimize mishaps.
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2018, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

If I recall correctly, you couldn't do any real damage shifting from drive to reverse in a Chrysler pushbutton automatic. I think their was a safety that hitting the reverse button while the car was moving forward would put it into the neutral mode and not reverse. Been a long time since I drove one, and I don't ever recall making that mistake.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Collector of heavy things

My first car was a 1991 Dodge Spirit, aka a refresh of the Dodge Aries. Had the 'piss poor' Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 under the hood, which made the car quite peppy. Not as fast as the Spirit R/T, I'm sure, but it got up and went when called upon. I can say for a fact that the car would begin to shake violently if I tried to drive much faster than 95MPH..........

It had its quirks, to be sure. It resisted every single attempt I made to upgrade the stock AM/FM stereo (installed a 'Infinity I' cassette stereo, and got nothing out of the speakers; tried using a later version AM/FM/cassette head unit, but the brackets didn't line up correctly). The previous owner had been extremely obese, and had managed to break the front seat, though we got it fixed. One nice "feature" was that I could remove the key from the ignition while it was running, which came in handy when it was cold, as I could keep the engine running with the doors locked.

I put a few dents and dings in it as a rookie driver, but it just kept on running. Even the infamous "A-Sick-Oh-Four" 4spd automatic just kept on going, apart from one time it glitched and got stuck in "limp home mode" (wouldn't shift higher than 2nd gear, which made highway driving "interesting".....). The one time I thought it was a goner, it turned out that it was bad motor mounts that were causing the engine to tilt when trying to drive in reverse, making a nasty racket as I backed up.

It was somewhat ugly and didn't have much in the way of features, but it was a solid little car. I sure can't say that of its successor, a 1996 Chrysler Concorde that was handed down to me. Looked sleek, and had all sorts of bells and whistles, but had more reliability issues than Carter had liver pills. Dead transmission (before I started driving it), overheating issues, stalling issues, and culminated with the entire rear suspension collapsing as I pulled away from a stoplight. Should've just stuck with the Spirit. Here's a 'beauty shot' of it in its later days:

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
It had its quirks, to be sure. It resisted every single attempt I made to upgrade the stock AM/FM stereo (installed a 'Infinity I' cassette stereo, and got nothing out of the speakers; tried using a later version AM/FM/cassette head unit, but the brackets didn't line up correctly).
The Infinity almost certainly required an amplifier, which you didn't have. Then you got a radio from a Sebring/Stratus, the only cars that used a different bracket setup, but identical other than the brackets and the orange display.

Quote:
Even the infamous "A-Sick-Oh-Four" 4spd automatic just kept on going, apart from one time it glitched and got stuck in "limp home mode" (wouldn't shift higher than 2nd gear, which made highway driving "interesting".....).
Not surprising. For all the shit people give it, as an actual certified transmission mechanic myself, I can tell you that they're pretty hardy little things. My favorite transmission actually. It's a breeze to work on, and it's so simple, there's almost nothing to go wrong with it. Also, you'd be surprised just how often limp mode was triggered by a corroded battery termimal.

Quote:
a 1996 Chrysler Concorde that was handed down to me. Looked sleek, and had all sorts of bells and whistles, but had more reliability issues than Carter had liver pills. Dead transmission (before I started driving it), overheating issues, stalling issues, and culminated with the entire rear suspension collapsing as I pulled away from a stoplight. Should've just stuck with the Spirit.
Maybe you just got a lemon dude. My 94 Concorde got T boned by a utility truck, and kept going. It went and went, literally the only time I ever had to have it towed was after it was hit. The transmission is literally the same A604, just twisted around to fit the other way. And mine NEVER overheated, it was the most temp-stable car I've ever had. Then again, I had the 3.3L, maybe you got the 3.5L, they were new for the LH cars, and did have some problems. Legit the 93 model ones would spontaneously combust. Fuel rail problems.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
A friend had a '58 Mercury that had a form of a push button transmission.
It had a park position lever that had to slid to the right. IDK, if the neutral button had to be pushed before the park was set. The transmission stayed in drive while the engine was in fast idle. The transmission burned up.
IIRC, the push button selector was outlawed by the government, stating all automatic transmission cars had to be uniform to minimize mishaps.
Are you certain it was a Mercury? I was able to find photos of Mopars with a park slider but all the photos of late-50s Mercury controls I've seen show a park lever that resembles a hood release. By the way I'm a little confused by the presence of a "hill control" button in the Mercurys, seems redundant with a park lever. I suppose that could have been what they called the parking brake considering the presence of the "brake release" button.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Are you certain it was a Mercury? I was able to find photos of Mopars with a park slider but all the photos of late-50s Mercury controls I've seen show a park lever that resembles a hood release. By the way I'm a little confused by the presence of a "hill control" button in the Mercurys, seems redundant with a park lever. I suppose that could have been what they called the parking brake considering the presence of the "brake release" button.
I'm trying to remember something that happened around 50 years ago, but I'm positive it was a Mercury. I drove the owner to the used car lot to pick it up. The owner told me the circumstances of the trans failure. I wasn't there.
Audiokarma