Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned

1931 U. S. Gloritone Model 99A

Hello everyone, I just got today a 1931 U. S. Gloritone Model 99A Cathedral radio that is in really good shape yet but the only problem is that the speaker has two large holes in the cone and I've been looking around for recone kits for a 1931 vintage Utah radio speaker (that's what its got in it a Utah loudspeaker) but to no avail and not even any instructions on how to repair the tears. The grill cloth I can get on ebay for $15 + free shipping but the speaker is going to be the main issue. The radio still works and I'm thinking that it was already electronically gone over as the radio works flawlessly (minus the damaged speaker).

Any help, tips and advice for repairing the speaker on this radio and what not would be appreciated.

By the way this was the radio I was talking about in my posting entitled "1930's Cathedral Radio" over at AudioKarma, but at the time I posted that thread I couldn't think of the brand of the radio, also the reason why the speaker opening is "naked" is because I removed the old grill cloth so that I could get some replacement cloth to put in there.
Also what kind of dial light bulb does this radio take, and how do you access it to replace it? I'm curious because it looks like when I powered it on that there should been more than one bulb lighting up the dial but it appeared there was only one bulb glowing in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2250.JPG (30.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2251.JPG (79.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2252.JPG (82.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2253.JPG (76.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2254.JPG (82.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2255.JPG (75.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 PM
M is for Memory

The bottom tear can be fixed with some silicone caulk. The upper hole can probably be patched with coffee paper...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Peanut Head

If it needs a re-cone...I suggest Speaker Services in Memphis, TN.
549 S Cooper Street
Memphis, TN 38104
(901) 725-9620

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
If it needs a re-cone...I suggest Speaker Services in Memphis, TN.
549 S Cooper Street
Memphis, TN 38104
(901) 725-9620
OK, well maybe someplace closer to Elkhart, Indiana? This speaker is rather large at 8" in diameter and weighs about a pound and I don't think shipping the speaker would be advisable considering its a Field Coil Speaker.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Your choices are pretty limited for re-coning, but shipping would be pretty simple with good packing. I looked on youtube and found no less than 12 videos of folks doing speaker cone repair....as they say, "it's not rocket science"!
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanzaman View Post
Your choices are pretty limited for re-coning, but shipping would be pretty simple with good packing. I looked on youtube and found no less than 12 videos of folks doing speaker cone repair....as they say, "it's not rocket science"!
Well I think I'm just going to be sticking to trying to repairing the existing cone for right now. When I get a job again I might be able to think about sending it somewhere but right now that's just going to be too cost prohibitive.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like someone picked up the radio from the top, didn't realize how heavy it was, it swung, sending fingers right through the top of the cone. I have a Philco 90 cathedral that some auction house doofus did the same thing to. :-\