Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
did you find a jumper inlieu of a 1k resistor to check the shunt current?

For clarity it would be best if you would quote me and then respond.
this is a ctc15 and if it has the 1k i cant find it. sams says a short across horiz ocill cathode coil pin 8 to ground, .there is nothing saying of this resistor, and i feel really stupin at this point.

Last edited by timmy; 07-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

my CTC-15 documentation (not sams I have a RCA field service guide) show a 1k resistor, can you scan for send me what you are looking at (the sams), I only need to see the HV section if you can cut and paste that and attach it has a document.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

would this 1k resistor be right off the focus tube rec because if it is i checked it and i had changed it as well, its right on. im sorry its a 1 meg.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

i have a scanner but of course its not working anymore.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

no, its the CATHODE pin of the shunt tube. PIN 1

look at the 6Bk4 tube counting clockwise (from the bottom) pin 1 is the 1st pin after the key, follow any wires coming from there and see where it goes. The 1 k in question does not have to be right at the tube, you need to follow the wire that connects to the pin 1 and see where it goes, tell me where that pin 1 is connected. If it goes to a term strip, what is on the term strip., can you take a pic of the bottom of the chassis?
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2011, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

pin 1 is yellow and goes to a terminal strip connected to 3 green wires and one side of a ciramic cap and one side of a long brown resistor. the 3 green wires i guess will follow to the 1k resistor.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

well something is not right, there should be a jumper before the "long brown resistor, which I am guessing is a 13k screen resistor for the HOT. Any way if the HV pot is not open or shorted and the 1.5 meg resistors are ok, both of which I think you have checked, then the only other thing I can think of is a leaky .01 1kv cap between the grid and the cathode of that tube (pin 1 and 5). IF that cap is leaking then it would throw of the bias of the tube and could cause it to over conduct. NOTE you need to use a .01 1KV (not lower voltage disc) if you choose to replace it.

I cant say forsure this is the problem since you can seem to find a way to check the tube currents (either the 1k or a jumper in the cathode of the 6bk4).

if you can fix your scanner OR get a pic of the chassis around the 6bk4 (including the term strip) them I might be able to figure out how you are supposed to check the shunt current.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

the yellow #1 wire comes off the tube and my sams says this is the jumper to check reg current so i think they mean open this area and place a meter in between, this is the mistake i made i opened this connection thinking otherwise so i since reconnected it and the pot now works but of course its not high enough,hv. that cap i replaced and the one that was there was what i put in, .0033 1kv disc.but i followed this yellow wire to caps tp the circuit board and no 1k along the way.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

oy vey so there is a jumper, you need ot check the current with a ma meter.

dang man I have been asking about the stupid jumper for days..
Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

and I asked about the sams saying how to check the current and you said it was not there, so now it is???
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

so i should open this and put a meter in between and check current but still there is no 1k does this make a difference?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am done, and yes you should open that up and check with a meter. the SAMS should detail this process and tell you what it should be.

I will let someone else take over as I cant think of anything else to add, it would have been nice to know about this a few days ago (the jumper and the sams telling how to check the regulator current).

and YES if there is a jumper then there will NOT BE a 1k resistor as its function is to provide a voltage drop so a voltage reading can be used instead of a current reading.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

update to this hv issue, i read that if there is a problem in the focus divider in the flyback then the result is low hv at the anode so the test is check focus voltage with crt plug on and then with it off and if the focus voltage is low both on and off then its a fly problem. so i have low focus voltage both ways, on its about 2.5kv which should be 4-5 kv off its really LOW so i guess i can live with the low voltage because i have 18.5-20 kv on the anode and a very good and clear picture and cannot tell that its a few kv short of what it should be. what seem to make a very big difference was to run the shorts removal function on the crt tester, which there were sparks flying when being done but now seem to be gone. i just want to let everyone know here that i am thankful for all the help that everyone provided me, thanks again.